Notices

Pic my Rods

Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 70
Default Pic my Rods

I'm a fan of Seeker and Calstar but am open to suggestions.
I'm looking to match rods to the following reels:
Avet pro 50 SDS spooled with JB 130 hollow
Avet HXW spooled with JB 80 hollow
Avet pro 4/02 rebuilt by Alan Tani (as soon as I get it in the mail) also need line suggestion.
I'll be doing my first long range this year 8+ days I also hit Florida twice a year and Abaco once in a while.
Thanks Rick
zaconb is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Rick,

We have a ton of options we can do for you including all color matching customs. I'll send you a PM so I can get more info from you.
Terminator Tackle is offline  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 3,449
Default

Put the Avet 50 SDS on a 2x4. Sweet long range cow rod/combo. Those 2x4's are pricey, but man what a LR rod. chris
bayrunner16 is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dix hills ny
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by zaconb View Post
I'm a fan of Seeker and Calstar but am open to suggestions.
I'm looking to match rods to the following reels:
Avet pro 50 SDS spooled with JB 130 hollow
Avet HXW spooled with JB 80 hollow
Avet pro 4/02 rebuilt by Alan Tani (as soon as I get it in the mail) also need line suggestion.
I'll be doing my first long range this year 8+ days I also hit Florida twice a year and Abaco once in a while.
Thanks Rick
If you plan on buying other and more reels down the road, then don't even think about buying off the shelf, go custom, ones that are built buy the builder, not some guy selling a builders rods, you will never get another one to exactly match. I have over $2000 worth of mismatched rods thrown to the side, its all custom for me period!!!!!! This is who I suggest you deal with, what's funny is the you can build with whatever you want, and they will still match the rest, www.anglersenvy.com
blackfinmike is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Originally Posted by blackfinmike View Post
If you plan on buying other and more reels down the road, then don't even think about buying off the shelf, go custom, ones that are built buy the builder, not some guy selling a builders rods, you will never get another one to exactly match. I have over $2000 worth of mismatched rods thrown to the side, its all custom for me period!!!!!! This is who I suggest you deal with, what's funny is the you can build with whatever you want, and they will still match the rest, www.anglersenvy.com
Kevin Does great work
Terminator Tackle is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
  #6  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

Originally Posted by blackfinmike View Post
If you plan on buying other and more reels down the road, then don't even think about buying off the shelf, go custom, ones that are built buy the builder, not some guy selling a builders rods, you will never get another one to exactly match. I have over $2000 worth of mismatched rods thrown to the side, its all custom for me period!!!!!! This is who I suggest you deal with, what's funny is the you can build with whatever you want, and they will still match the rest, www.anglersenvy.com
You must be buying cheap rods. All my Calstar and Seeker factory rods are dead on. They all match perfectly. They are super expensive factory rods, but the build quality is there.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dix hills ny
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by ThreeLittleFish View Post
You must be buying cheap rods. All my Calstar and Seeker factory rods are dead on. They all match perfectly. They are super expensive factory rods, but the build quality is there.
Seeker rods are one of the ones thrown in the cornerName:  IMG_0159.JPG
Views: 1956
Size:  1.47 MB
blackfinmike is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
  #8  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

I have over a dozen Super Seekers. 3 different groups of 4 rods. The guides and wraps all match up to each other. The guides are straight, and are in alignment with the reel seat. They are also spined correctly. The flex coat isn't cracking either. What else can you ask for?
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dix hills ny
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by ThreeLittleFish View Post
I have over a dozen Super Seekers. 3 different groups of 4 rods. The guides and wraps all match up to each other. The guides are straight, and are in alignment with the reel seat. They are also spined correctly. The flex coat isn't cracking either. What else can you ask for?
Not to have a tip of a rod break off Anglers envy, when building my offshore rods had only one request by me "do not build them with seeker blanks, no way no how" !!!!!!!!! Do they check the back bone of the rod, while you are reeling in a fish does your rod stay straight(not curve to the side)?????? I hope you weren't talking about my spiral rap rods

I hope you love your rods, thats great, but in no way shape or form do they compare to the individual attention and care every one of my rods are built with!!!! I will admit, when you see mine in person, you literally hate to fish these works of arts

Last edited by blackfinmike; 02-21-2011 at 07:03 AM.
blackfinmike is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
  #10  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

I wasn't referring to your rods... I was referring to Seeker rods. I now what an acid wrap rod is.

I used to own a rod manufacturing company I know fishing rods pretty well. Pretty looking well made rods don't fish any better than well made ugly rods. A double overwrap is a double overwrap. It's not rocket science. If it's done correctly then it is what it is. You have some gorgeous rods there. Do they perform any better than any other well made rod.... no. Seeker and Calstar rods have proven themselves on the long range fleet out in San Diego. More cows have been caught on Seeker and Calstar blanks than any other manufacturers blanks. How you can make statements against the overwhelming evidence that they both make quality products is not something I understand. Anglers Envy even builds on Seeker blanks.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Yup they are Kevins rods...He is a true master rod builder.
Terminator Tackle is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: queen anne, Maryland
Posts: 261
Default

I feel I need to step up and clarify. When having discussions with BlackfinMike, My comment was that for stand up Tuna rods WITH rollers, I asked him to stay away from the Seeker blanks. They have a faster action in the tip that in my experience does not perform well with aftco roller guides as the aftco rollers do not want to bend and flex as much as the blank does. I have seen a few come back with wrap separation and in watching the rod perform, saw that the blank actually had "different" looking bend with the Aftco HD rollers. I have nothing against Seekers as the spiral wrapped rods in the picture above are in fact Project X blanks.

Both of you are correct in your comments. Mike, that I said no Seekers for standups (Its just my opinion and as a builder, if I am going to warranty my work, that is my prerogative) and Threelittlefish that more slobs have been caught on Calstar and Seeker than any other rod company!!

Kevin
ANGLER'S ENVY is offline  
Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Whats up Kev?? Shoot me the pics when you can.
Terminator Tackle is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: queen anne, Maryland
Posts: 261
Default

15 hours in the shop yesterday. I will send them today (pics and rods).

KK
ANGLER'S ENVY is offline  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,480
Default

Originally Posted by ANGLER'S ENVY View Post
15 hours in the shop yesterday. I will send them today (pics and rods).

KK
Terminator Tackle is offline  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 3,449
Default

Originally Posted by blackfinmike View Post
Seeker rods are one of the ones thrown in the cornerAttachment 156874

What Seekers do you have? Do you want to get rid of any of those junkers in the corner? chris
bayrunner16 is offline  
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dix hills ny
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by bayrunner16 View Post
What Seekers do you have? Do you want to get rid of any of those junkers in the corner? chris
The reason it is sitting in the corner, it broke off 8" down from the tip, playing around checking drags while sitting at dock the day before the first offshore trip. Checked 11 rods that way, got to 12 pounds on it and it snapped, it was a 40 (60) 100 pnd rod Definitely a defective rod, but they can keep those pieces of garbage.

Before any body goes on about the correct way to check a drag, I was making sure nothing strange happened to the drags through the winter, they were all in the fighting station getting checked that way, only the Seeker couldn't take half of what cheap Harley rods could
blackfinmike is offline  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM
  #18  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

I thought Seeker had lifetime warranties on their blanks? Was it an e-glass blank or a composite. Which series was it. More info would be appreciated. Condeming a manufacturer for a flaw without giving them the right to make it good doesn't make much sense.

Like I said.... Long range fishing and Seeker are synonymous. You can't discount the huge fish landed on them for decades.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dix hills ny
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by ThreeLittleFish View Post
I thought Seeker had lifetime warranties on their blanks? Was it an e-glass blank or a composite. Which series was it. More info would be appreciated. Condeming a manufacturer for a flaw without giving them the right to make it good doesn't make much sense.

Like I said.... Long range fishing and Seeker are synonymous. You can't discount the huge fish landed on them for decades.
I had just bought it at the end of the last season before that,only one trip, it might have pulled a 4' Blue shark in, or one of the two 4' Mako's we caught on the last trip, I didn't pay attention, it might not even pulled in any with it, thats why I never will use one of them again Don't worry I let those sharks loose!!!!
blackfinmike is offline  
Old 02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,341
Default

Originally Posted by ANGLER'S ENVY View Post
I feel I need to step up and clarify. When having discussions with BlackfinMike, My comment was that for stand up Tuna rods WITH rollers, I asked him to stay away from the Seeker blanks. They have a faster action in the tip that in my experience does not perform well with aftco roller guides as the aftco rollers do not want to bend and flex as much as the blank does. I have seen a few come back with wrap separation and in watching the rod perform, saw that the blank actually had "different" looking bend with the Aftco HD rollers. I have nothing against Seekers as the spiral wrapped rods in the picture above are in fact Project X blanks.

Both of you are correct in your comments. Mike, that I said no Seekers for standups (Its just my opinion and as a builder, if I am going to warranty my work, that is my prerogative) and Threelittlefish that more slobs have been caught on Calstar and Seeker than any other rod company!!

Kevin

You are 100% right on the action - fast tip blanks don't work well with roller guides, especially the Aftco Wind-Ons and Big Foots. I am partial to the more moderate Calstar (3-digit models) blanks for all my stand-up roller guide rods.

Most better manufacturers (and Ugly Stick) make rods the same for many years so that people don't accumulate a lot of orphans. That being said, many/most custom rods were built with Gudebrod thread (which was top quality), which went under in early 2010, so matching older rods, even custom, may no longer be possible.
LI32 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread