Notices

Center Rigger

Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: G-Vegas
Posts: 875
Default Center Rigger

I'm not sure if I need one enough to buy one. I was thinking about redneck engineering one out an old stout bottom rod. My thought was the rod would be in the t-top rod hold, take a 6-8 ft piece of mono, 2 snap swivels, and a small egg sinker. Clip one end to the top eye of the rod, add egg sinker, and the second snap swivel. Attach it to the center line with a rubberband. Similar to running a tagline. Think it will work?
The Business is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: West Falmouth, MA
Posts: 3,774
Default

I run an extendable painters pole with a release clip attached from my leaning post rod holders. (I don't have rod holders on my T-Top). Yes your idea will work just fine. A $30 solution to a $1,000 problem.

Mike
Parapapam is offline  
Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: LEFT COAST
Posts: 77
Default

You might use a rubber ball instead of an egg sinker.
Fewer bumps on yer noggin?
Tag Team is offline  
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: G-Vegas
Posts: 875
Default

Originally Posted by Tag Team View Post
You might use a rubber ball instead of an egg sinker.
Fewer bumps on yer noggin?

That might be safer..
The Business is offline  
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 3,780
Default

I use an extendable boat pole, the kind with a hook with a Blacks Release Clip zipped tie on. Works great ...... ICM
Ice Cream Man is online now  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 537
Default

Ask around or put a post in the classifieds for someone that has an old rigger or one that is bent in the lower section. You can cut it to length. I attached my the upper t top with a clamp on rod holder. Works perfect.
fatcat14 is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
  #7  
Formerly Roseandtim
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ft pierce fl
Posts: 1,109
Default

use a expandable handle from a deck brush with a crimped line to a roller troller when fish hits roller troller lets go and comes back to the t top or use a eye clip and #62 rubber and like a snap line but to check for weeds or wash outs the rubber bands are a pain it works In a pinch
kytim is offline  
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Floaters
Posts: 6,127
Default

This was made with parts I got from home depot and a butt from a rod. I have about 12 bucks invested in it and it works great. Its about 6 feet long, and I put it in my t top rod holder.













Miss Trial is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 741
Default

Like someone above said said, an old outrigger is perfect, I broke one of my outriggers one day (left it out while docking) so I removed the broken lower section and used what was left as a center rigger. Works great.
cayman_fisher is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 3,474
Default

I would try a peice of pvc
sailfish18 is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 05:57 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 537
Default clip

miss trial where did you get that center rigger clip?
fatcat14 is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wanchese, NC
Posts: 10,562
Default

Originally Posted by fatcat14 View Post
miss trial where did you get that center rigger clip?
Any release clip will work ours is double rigged with Blacks release clips. PVC will not work it is to flimsy and will break. If you can find a old outrigger that would work the best...Mark
offshore3144 is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Suffolk, Va
Posts: 634
Default

So how big is big enough? Looks to me like some people are using 6 foot poles...why not just put the rod up there if that is all it needs to be raised up? I was thinking maybe a 12-15' surf rod set up like an outrigger with parachute cord or heavy mono and a release clip might work ok.
TrickyRick is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wanchese, NC
Posts: 10,562
Default

Our center rigger is 15ft and there needs to be a good compromise between being to soft and to stiff. Needs to be stiff enough to pop the clip but not to stiff so that the bait is pulled out of the fishes mouth. You also have to remember if you are trolling say 7knots and a fish hits it going 20+ knots it needs to hold up. Or if a large fish like a marlin hits it they will not break it....Mark
offshore3144 is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pt. Judith, RI
Posts: 3,791
Default

My rigger is about 15' long. You want the rigger, ideally, to be about 1' past your transom. I would use some pipe as opposed to a surf rod, as this will minimize any "whipping action" that will yank your lures around in the water. Also, a longer rigger will let you double rig for a short and long center line, and let you play with your spread more. Works great.
PtJudeRI is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: RI
Posts: 2,622
Default

Originally Posted by TrickyRick View Post
So how big is big enough? Looks to me like some people are using 6 foot poles...why not just put the rod up there if that is all it needs to be raised up? I was thinking maybe a 12-15' surf rod set up like an outrigger with parachute cord or heavy mono and a release clip might work ok.
on my last boat, we used an 8 ft boat hook with a release clip tied to the end.

i often would get lazy and just troll from the hardtop. the hardtop rod holders were high. i am 6'3" and i was pretty much the only one that could get to them relatively easy.


the last time we trolled from up there, the clicker starts screaming on the way back line and i reach up to get it. the seas are a little choppy and the drag on the reel is up higher than i was expecting. the slickbutted rod comes out of the holder easy and i am on one leg reaching up to get the rod with one hand. on the other end is an irate white marlin.

it was one of our stiff 6 ft standup rods with a 50w and the line was pulling off quickly at almost 20 lbs of drag. in a split second, it both almost pulled the rod out of my hand and almost pulled me off the boat as i fell towards the transom. i came so close to loosing that rod i was holding onto it in between my two outboards. my friend quickly helped me back in.

unfortunately, the white marlin after doing a nice initial run, and then putting on an air show came unbuttoned.


not learning my lesson, i cranked the lure back closer to the spread. i took the rod in one hand and was standing (on the liferaft box) on one leg to put it back in hardtop. as i am reaching up the rod gets hit for a 2nd time, and almost pulls me onto the deck again in teh same exact scenario. luckily at least we landed that fish:





so twice, in the span of about 3 minutes i almost busted my ass and/or fell out of the boat.



as we are currently outfitting our next boat, i decided to spend the dough and get a proper center rigger. so a lee's center rigger mount and a 15 ft. carbon fiber pole are coming.



.
JoeyM is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 756
Default

A nice center rigger looks real good when everything is up......It is definitely a necessity...however you plan to hucklebuck it.
brdawg2001 is offline  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 PM
  #18  
Bly
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: south jersey
Posts: 6,668
Default

Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
on my last boat, we used an 8 ft boat hook with a release clip tied to the end.

i often would get lazy and just troll from the hardtop. the hardtop rod holders were high. i am 6'3" and i was pretty much the only one that could get to them relatively easy.


the last time we trolled from up there, the clicker starts screaming on the way back line and i reach up to get it. the seas are a little choppy and the drag on the reel is up higher than i was expecting. the slickbutted rod comes out of the holder easy and i am on one leg reaching up to get the rod with one hand. on the other end is an irate white marlin.

it was one of our stiff 6 ft standup rods with a 50w and the line was pulling off quickly at almost 20 lbs of drag. in a split second, it both almost pulled the rod out of my hand and almost pulled me off the boat as i fell towards the transom. i came so close to loosing that rod i was holding onto it in between my two outboards. my friend quickly helped me back in.

unfortunately, the white marlin after doing a nice initial run, and then putting on an air show came unbuttoned.


not learning my lesson, i cranked the lure back closer to the spread. i took the rod in one hand and was standing (on the liferaft box) on one leg to put it back in hardtop. as i am reaching up the rod gets hit for a 2nd time, and almost pulls me onto the deck again in teh same exact scenario. luckily at least we landed that fish:





so twice, in the span of about 3 minutes i almost busted my ass and/or fell out of the boat.



as we are currently outfitting our next boat, i decided to spend the dough and get a proper center rigger. so a lee's center rigger mount and a 15 ft. carbon fiber pole are coming.



.
The only problem with the lee carbon fiber as opposed to say tigress or ce smith carbon fiber is the internal halyard gives a little less choice on double rigging from each side of T top. they are nice riggers tho.
Bly is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread