The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lone Ono
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Posts: 63
Default trolling weight molds

Anyone know where to get large (24-48 oz) trolling weight molds? The largest I can find on the Do It web site is 16 oz.
FlaGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,077
Default

Here is where I got the info
http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfis...er-moulds.htmlhttp://www.shawncollinscustoms.com/s...TrollingSinker
TimW Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Solomons, Maryland / Now just visiting Marathon
Posts: 4,775
Default

Custom molded, so a higher price?
Hmmm.....
Know of any non-custom items?
Steve_250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 3,901
Default only seems costley

Those are quality molds,I have two of his molds,the last one that I purchased cost $140 shipped. it produces 5oz lead heads that we were paying $6.00 for.

If Bass Pro wants $9.95 for a single 1lbr.it dosn't take long to make up the cost.

The cable can be cast into the weight,or use the copper eyes.

hell you could even go into the trolling weight business ,now that everyone knows which end faces the boat.

And a great chance to get some LUNG cancer
jpcanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Metairie,LA
Posts: 3,669
Default

I have a 16 / 24oz mold and double up for desired weight but after time / material ... I can't beat Capt Harry's.






REDWEISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,225
Default

Dang! Nice price!

http://www.captharry.com/product/Ele...ctric/115.html
eddy2419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Has anyone had any luck finding someone for the trolling bar molds? 32,48,64? I've tried emailing and calling the Shawn Collins guy and never get a response.

Thanks for any help
Bryan_Destin_Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 490
Default

Shawn has been quiet on the website for a long time. The best place to find his work is on eBay. Search seller CNC-works to find his molds. His molds are quality CNC machined and worth the cost.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112751996543

Do-It does trolling molds up to 64 oz. I like thier shape with more weight at the nose. Barlow’s or Jansnetcraft have better pricing than the Do-It website.

My experience has been that trolling sinker molds last longer than wives so I don’t worry about the cost.

Last edited by Lone Ono; 01-13-2018 at 02:34 AM.
Lone Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Thanks for the help. I sent him another message via eBay. Hopefully I can find someone to make them. Looking for molds for weights like these.
Attached Images
 
Bryan_Destin_Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
Anyone know where to get large (24-48 oz) trolling weight molds? The largest I can find on the Do It web site is 16 oz.
I have a 26 you can barrow or I'll give you some i made myy bad zombie thread
bubba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Destin_Triton View Post
Thanks for the help. I sent him another message via eBay. Hopefully I can find someone to make them. Looking for molds for weights like these.
IIRC the last one I bought I ordered a mold, then sent him a message saying what I really wanted was a 24/32/48 trolling bar mold. He gladly charged me the difference and sent what I wanted.

This is a big mold, no hinge. You have to rack it up in a bench vise to pour it. Also Shawn’s gate (pour hole) is a bit small. You may want to drill it out larger for faster pouring. Larger gate helps keep the wrinkles minimal.

I personally don’t like cable-through sinkers. I use the extra-long stainless eyes available on eBay. Never had a failure.

If you get the mold and have any problems just send me a PM. I’ve been pouring trolling sinkers for 30 years and I’d be happy to help.
Lone Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #12
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Thanks for the info lone ono. Maybe he will respond without me having to order a mold I don't want before hand.

I will also take you up on the help if I need it. I've started a offshore trolling lure business in Florida and need some of these to offer for sale.

Thanks again for all the help
Bryan_Destin_Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #13
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post
IIRC the last one I bought I ordered a mold, then sent him a message saying what I really wanted was a 24/32/48 trolling bar mold. He gladly charged me the difference and sent what I wanted.

This is a big mold, no hinge. You have to rack it up in a bench vise to pour it. Also Shawn’s gate (pour hole) is a bit small. You may want to drill it out larger for faster pouring. Larger gate helps keep the wrinkles minimal.

I personally don’t like cable-through sinkers. I use the extra-long stainless eyes available on eBay. Never had a failure.

If you get the mold and have any problems just send me a PM. I’ve been pouring trolling sinkers for 30 years and I’d be happy to help.
When was the last time you ordered from him? Doing research and saw others can't reach him any way!
Bryan_Destin_Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 490
Default

PM coming.
Lone Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Snuggedy Swamp & North Eleuthera
Posts: 3,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post

I personally don’t like cable-through sinkers. I use the extra-long stainless eyes available on eBay. Never had a failure.
I'm curious why you don't like the cable-through trolling leads?
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 490
Default

Mostly storage & handling. I always seem to kink the cable where it exits the lead. Brass eyes are no good either, bend too easy.

I don’t run wire on the leader side of my trolling leads, only the mainline side. Seemingly all of my lead strikes happen when a fish on the wire is dragging the sinker away from the boat. When I cast leads I put a Melton’s “tournament Aussie” snap swivel on the back eye. The front gets 18” of solid wire between the mainline.

I have a milk crate with pvc pipes fixed to two sides. With only the swivels on the back side I can just drop them in the tubes for storage. I’ve cast sinkers in every configuration I can conjure up but I always come back to this setup.
Lone Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Snuggedy Swamp & North Eleuthera
Posts: 3,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post
Mostly storage & handling. I always seem to kink the cable where it exits the lead. Brass eyes are no good either, bend too easy.

I don’t run wire on the leader side of my trolling leads, only the mainline side. Seemingly all of my lead strikes happen when a fish on the wire is dragging the sinker away from the boat. When I cast leads I put a Melton’s “tournament Aussie” snap swivel on the back eye. The front gets 18” of solid wire between the mainline.

I have a milk crate with pvc pipes fixed to two sides. With only the swivels on the back side I can just drop them in the tubes for storage. I’ve cast sinkers in every configuration I can conjure up but I always come back to this setup.
Interesting. My trolling leads are chewed up on both ends. I have Pete with Pete's Sinkers cast an extra 8" of cable on both ends of my trolling sinkers.
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
Interesting. My trolling leads are chewed up on both ends. I have Pete with Pete's Sinkers cast an extra 8" of cable on both ends of my trolling sinkers.
Your fish bite different. You hang your hooks out the back, I drill holes in the back of the heads so I can move them as far forward as possible.
Lone Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Snuggedy Swamp & North Eleuthera
Posts: 3,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post
Your fish bite different. You hang your hooks out the back, I drill holes in the back of the heads so I can move them as far forward as possible.
Yep very different bite patterns. Its sounds like you and I need to swap fishing trips.
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 490
Default

You’re welcome on my boat any day. Again, not likely either of is going to leave an island with wahoo and fly half way around the world to get to an island with wahoo. Would be interesting though.

I look at it as you wouldn’t bait your hooks with bratwurst if you were trying to catch Japanese children. Same species, different environment.

Last edited by Lone Ono; Yesterday at 11:22 PM.
Lone Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.