Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Homemade outriggers - Surf rods

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Default

I almost had to get my DeLorean up to 88 to find this thread. Any new ideas or pics?
Thanks
gdragon is offline  
Old 06-28-2014, 03:35 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beach Haven, NJ
Posts: 590
Default

Flexible and whippy riggers do not pull the baits at a steady pace. It's lunge, drop back. Lunge and drop back as the baits get pulled through the waves. Not good.

You need stiff, stiff, stiff. That's why carbon fiber is starting to build especially for center consoles that use unstayed skiff riggers.
Capt Lindsay is offline  
Old 06-29-2014, 05:11 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 385
Default

I don't understand the point of 6 or 7 foot outrigger poles? Couldn't you just use a rod in a angled rod holder and accomplish the same thing?
Danyelfell is offline  
Old 07-01-2014, 07:50 AM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Morehead City, NC
Posts: 1,109
Default

I know a guy that used pole vaulting poles with road blanks fiber glassed to the end of the pole vaulting poles.
buzzk is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by buzzk View Post
I know a guy that used pole vaulting poles with road blanks fiber glassed to the end of the pole vaulting poles.
I was thinking of that. Got any photos?
fpjeepy05 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 10:41 AM
  #26  
mgd
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 615
Default

Here ya go...
And to answer the why not just put the rod up there...it's sometimes tough to pull a rod down with a decent fish on it. Plus my wife is kinda short so tough for her to reach





mgd is online now  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:20 AM
  #27  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 614
Default

Originally Posted by gdragon View Post
I almost had to get my DeLorean up to 88 to find this thread. Any new ideas or pics?
Thanks


https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor?q=121g

you gotta see this !!
Sea Snake is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:23 AM
  #28  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 614
Default

Too much of a drop back on kings, IMO.........you're just asking to snap lightly hooked hooks right out of the fish on the drop back !!

If you are looking for spread only, rig those surf rods with a large spinner and there you go.....a 12 or 13 foot rod with a soft tip will wear out a kingfish quick....it's like tying one to a mooring whip....let the rod do all the work !!
Sea Snake is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:33 AM
  #29  
mgd
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 615
Default

Originally Posted by Sea Snake View Post
Too much of a drop back on kings, IMO.........you're just asking to snap lightly hooked hooks right out of the fish on the drop back !!

If you are looking for spread only, rig those surf rods with a large spinner and there you go.....a 12 or 13 foot rod with a soft tip will wear out a kingfish quick....it's like tying one to a mooring whip....let the rod do all the work !!
I have not had any trouble w that w kings. I set my drag to about 4lbs and only set the release clips tight enough so the live bait doesnt pull it out.
I don't troll for kings...live bait only

Agree that soft tip rods are great for kings!
mgd is online now  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 AM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CMCH NJ
Posts: 2,439
Default

Bamboo is what a guy i know used
Sam Salmon likes this.
Spooled is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:31 PM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wanchese, NC
Posts: 10,591
Default

The Albatross fleet out of Hatteras used bamboo back in the day and they still do today.
offshore3144 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LBI NJ
Posts: 2,298
Default

My friend got an outrageously good set of outriggers for 250 bucks, used on eBay, I think you might have luck looking for something discounted there, then going compete googan
Re-Bait is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:28 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by mgd View Post
Here ya go...
And to answer the why not just put the rod up there...it's sometimes tough to pull a rod down with a decent fish on it. Plus my wife is kinda short so tough for her to reach






I'm thinking about trying that with these... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32853126590.html
fpjeepy05 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM
  #34  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 846
Default

This belongs in the wtf section of THT.
big bass is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:29 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by big bass View Post
This belongs in the wtf section of THT.
So true! Spending thousands on outriggers makes sense for everyone! Plus the fish can totally tell how much you spent.
fpjeepy05 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 864
Default

Originally Posted by Sea Snake View Post
Too much of a drop back on kings, IMO.........you're just asking to snap lightly hooked hooks right out of the fish on the drop back !!

If you are looking for spread only, rig those surf rods with a large spinner and there you go.....a 12 or 13 foot rod with a soft tip will wear out a kingfish quick....it's like tying one to a mooring whip....let the rod do all the work !!
Spot on! You’d be surprised the way some people set up. 12 foot off each t top kingrigger can add to a spread.

i ve seen this set up with two weighted lines. 1 a hundred feet back with a 8 ounce weight rubber band to line. Next one is 200 feet back with a 6 ounce or 4 ounce. Two up top spread wide.

For me a kite and a drift anchor allows me the most effective spread especially fishing alone a good bit.

What you you are doing can work and only you can decide if it helps your style of fishing! It has been done for sure.
Tossedabout is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 AM
  #37  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by fpjeepy05 View Post


So true! Spending thousands on outriggers makes sense for everyone! Plus the fish can totally tell how much you spent.
I spent $250 on carbon fiber riggers, and they don’t look like paint poles in rod holders.

This is a ridiculous 5 year old thread
big bass is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:25 AM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by big bass View Post
I spent $250 on carbon fiber riggers, and they don’t look like paint poles in rod holders.”

With the bases? Post the link. I’ll buy a pair right now.

Originally Posted by big bass View Post
This is a ridiculous 5 year old thread
To you. Sure. I think you’re ridiculous. Why do you feel it necessary to bash people trying to save some money? Some guys just want to catch fish, and don't care what they look like at the dock. Not everyone in the world is a 1% like us Americans. The “googans” of the developing world catch way more fish than you do on their bamboo riggers. Maybe you just jealous, big boy.
Chimpo likes this.
fpjeepy05 is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 05:08 PM
  #39  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by fpjeepy05 View Post

With the bases? Post the link. I’ll buy a pair right now.



To you. Sure. I think you’re ridiculous. Why do you feel it necessary to bash people trying to save some money? Some guys just want to catch fish, and don't care what they look like at the dock. Not everyone in the world is a 1% like us Americans. The “googans” of the developing world catch way more fish than you do on their bamboo riggers. Maybe you just jealous, big boy.
Sorry my intent was not to bash.
CE Smith was the brand, been a couple years since I found them, they were factory blems. My 18 year old boat had bases already welded to T-top.

I’ve done plenty of DIY projects, not worried about looks, more concerned with functionality and longevity
big bass is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by big bass View Post


Sorry my intent was not to bash.
CE Smith was the brand, been a couple years since I found them, they were factory blems. My 18 year old boat had bases already welded to T-top.

I’ve done plenty of DIY projects, not worried about looks, more concerned with functionality and longevity
Sorry I might have been a little defensive. That's a good deal, and they will definitely last longer than the paint poles.
fpjeepy05 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread