Notices

Cast Net Color Make a Difference?

Old 11-09-2020, 05:37 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hillsborough NC / St Augustine FL
Posts: 422
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cast Net Color Make a Difference?

Settled in on a Barracuda net. My old Cracker has served me well but its time has passed......

90% of my bait catching in pogies in 40' of water or less, the other 10% is mullet in the same water column during the run.

I am thinking of ordering it in black. Never owned anything but a clear mono net. My question - is there any reason not to order a colored net?

Thanks in advance
Likes:
Old 11-09-2020, 06:35 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 49
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

I am thinking of ordering it in black. Never owned anything but a clear mono net. My question - is there any reason not to order a colored net?

Pretty sure Barracuda is going to hit you with an upcharge.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:48 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 578
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Would it cast a greater shadow? I had a green shrimp net for deep holing and i felt I didn't catch as many due to the color. Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:18 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cape coral, fl
Posts: 6,042
Received 606 Likes on 368 Posts
Default

Seeing your throwing the net in deep water the color probably won’t make much of a difference. If you are throwing in shallow water less than 6’, that black net is going have a pretty pronounced shadow. Throwing a clear monofilament net casts a shadow in shallower water.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:51 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SE LA
Posts: 5,602
Received 530 Likes on 263 Posts
Default

What size radius and mesh size net you throw for catching pogies in 40’?
Old 11-10-2020, 09:52 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 7,383
Received 1,501 Likes on 793 Posts
Default

I find chartreuse works best.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:07 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cape Carteret, NC/Durham, NC
Posts: 1,234
Received 251 Likes on 134 Posts
Default

I think you will be very happy with the Barracuda. I went from the Cracker to it as well last year:

Cool warranty they have on the Barracuda. Still have the Cracker as a backup.
I have the 10 foot and 3/8" mesh. Mainly use for herring and shad in local lakes. I have a Betts in a 3/4" for Menhaden at the coast.
I would think blue may give you an advantage on clear days to match the sky so as not to spook the bait, but I just went with the clear. There is a slight upcharge on any other color.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:57 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 577
Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts
Default

Betts has the same replacement policy on their Morada series of nets.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:04 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hillsborough NC / St Augustine FL
Posts: 422
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I have always used a 3/8 net. 40' would be the exception. Most of the time I am 10 - 15.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.