Notices

Wahoo off sw Florida?

Old 01-20-2020, 12:52 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Received 120 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Wahoo off sw Florida?

I regularly go offshore out of Boca grande. Typical bottom fishing. Grouper snapper etc. I travel long distances if needed 80-100 miles out. My elusive fish is a Gulf of Mexico wahoo. Is there anybody consistently catching them off of sw Florida?? If so what depth time of year etc? It’s on my bucket list. I’m not looking for numbers just trying to figure out if they are worth pursuing in my area and when to do it.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:16 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I have seen 2 in the past 5 years and have never caught one out of Naples. Both were in the early spring. Outside of 100 miles, they can be found but probably not worth your time to target. Your best bet is to troll between fishing spots and hope for the best. I have friends who do occasionally get them this way.
Likes:
Old 01-20-2020, 04:03 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 276
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

there is a very very small percentge of fishermen actively and consistently trying to catch pelagice fish, including wahoo, out of sw fl. most people will tell you you can't catch them unless you are out by the continental shelf. not true. there are plenty out there but you have to actively fish for them and you need to know how and where to find them in the vast flat bottom of the gulf off sw fl. personally my favorite fish to catch in the gulf and my favorite to eat. if your already traveling 80-100 miles out than you are certainly in and past the best areas to catch them. you are much more likely to find one if you are willing to go look for them as opposed to waiting for them to come to you when bottom fishing although you will be bottom fishing in spots that will hold wahoo. if the spot holds forage fish then it will hold all types of predators, from bottom fish to pelaics
Likes:
Old 01-20-2020, 05:05 PM
  #4  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 1,490
Received 627 Likes on 407 Posts
Default

Pull high-speed trolling lures on your runs in/out and when traveling from one spot to the next. This lets you target wahoo in addition to your bottom fishing without spending additional time or resources. As little as two lures can be quite effective.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Received 120 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crossbones1 View Post
there is a very very small percentge of fishermen actively and consistently trying to catch pelagice fish, including wahoo, out of sw fl. most people will tell you you can't catch them unless you are out by the continental shelf. not true. there are plenty out there but you have to actively fish for them and you need to know how and where to find them in the vast flat bottom of the gulf off sw fl. personally my favorite fish to catch in the gulf and my favorite to eat. if your already traveling 80-100 miles out than you are certainly in and past the best areas to catch them. you are much more likely to find one if you are willing to go look for them as opposed to waiting for them to come to you when bottom fishing although you will be bottom fishing in spots that will hold wahoo. if the spot holds forage fish then it will hold all types of predators, from bottom fish to pelaics
thanks. This is all the confidence I need to continue the pursuit. 👍
Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,460
Received 240 Likes on 141 Posts
Default

I assume that you know about this thread:

anyone trolling the steps or elbow or middle grounds in the gulf?

The thread kinda goes hot/cold with the seasons, based on fishing activity out there. It's a very long-running thread and by studying the reports in it you should be able to get some feel for what your chances are on the SW Florida coast for a number of pelagic species, including wahoo.

While your odds are probably better for them trolling far offshore along the temp breaks, I assure you that Wahoo sometimes do wander within range of the small-boat fleet, especially in the spring.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:43 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: on the road / Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 3,305
Received 623 Likes on 401 Posts
Default

Do what ONO said. Have two rods setup for High speed trolling and when you get to 40' , set one at 150' and the other at 200' ,put them out and go to your spot. Do the same when going to another area. Cannot catch ,if you don't have something in the water.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Coast of Florida
Posts: 8
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Crossbones is 100% right on. There was a 60 lber caught last week off Boca Grande. Liek sailfish, wahoo are closer in on our coast in the Spring and Fall.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:50 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wentzville, MO & Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 165
Received 113 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rwon View Post
Crossbones is 100% right on. There was a 60 lber caught last week off Boca Grande. Liek sailfish, wahoo are closer in on our coast in the Spring and Fall.
Was this on a FB post or something, would like to see. That's my area and am looking to get out once our boat arrives.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:23 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default


They are definitely out there. This is last April in about 200 ft Cape Coral
Likes:
Old 01-24-2020, 03:34 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wentzville, MO & Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 165
Received 113 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by raydog View Post
They are definitely out there. This is last April in about 200 ft Cape Coral
Nice, how far out is 200' from that area? Looking at some maps it would appear 70ish miles.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:42 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

That’s about right
Old 01-28-2020, 08:22 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,813
Received 809 Likes on 369 Posts
Default

200 mile buoy off naples
Old 01-28-2020, 08:53 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 276
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PINER_WAHOO View Post
200 mile buoy off naples
200 mile buoy for what? to look for a wahoo? and that right there is a very large reason why so many people on this coast think it can't be done. silly ideas.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:00 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mississippi/ Florida
Posts: 119
Received 197 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

I'm sure he meant feet. Her said 200' off of Cape Coral in his first post.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:54 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 276
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

i've gotten help to better my fishing success from this board and other places over the years so i guess i can give back a little by providing some tips. i've described how i go about catching wahoo in our part of the gulf to at least 3 friends who fish in their own boats and they have now all caught thier own hooters and we trade info which helps us all.

maybe the most important things about catching a wahoo around here involves what not to do as opposed what to do.

1 fish where the fish are. wahoo are big fish used to eating big prey. fish where the fish can get a satisfying meal. if the food isnt there the wahoo is going to go find some somewhere else.

2 don't let your crew decide what you're fishing for. 99% of the people fishing out here don't believe you can catch pelagics and don't want to experiment. f'em. its your boat.

3. we have no giant reef line to high speed on for 50 miles or more. imo high speeding over here is a waste of fuel.

4. trolling natural baits will get expensive and requires slower speeds than lures making a time consuming activity even more so. skip the bait when you are trying to cover lots of ground

5 dont expect to be able to troll the gear you need to with inferior equipment. anyone can get lucky. success is where planning meets oppurtunity. so be prepared and you'll be better off.

6 wahoo are pelagic so that means they travel. but they can also be stationary. think of weeedlines in the keys. everybody just runs out in the morning to find a weedline. because they expect the fish to be stationary near a food source. but there are stationary food sources beneath the water that you can't see with your eyes but the fish will orient themselves toward whatever food source there is in their 3-d environment. meaning, they will respond to food sources in all directions, not just the ones humans can see and recognize.

7 increase your odds. if you tie a string to a nice hot chicken wing and pull it down the street there is an off chance, though unlikely, that you might catch a random fat guy who can't control himself. put that same string tied wing in the local chinese buffet and your odds of catching a fat guy just went up. put that wing on a serving plate at hooters and its quite likely to have more than one fat guy trying to eat it. so the moral is fish at hooters instead of out in the middle of the street.

8 shallower than 120' is too shallow. once you are out past 400' or so your success will be dictated by sea temps, currents, etc.

good luck
Likes:
Old 01-28-2020, 06:06 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Received 120 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crossbones1 View Post
i've gotten help to better my fishing success from this board and other places over the years so i guess i can give back a little by providing some tips. i've described how i go about catching wahoo in our part of the gulf to at least 3 friends who fish in their own boats and they have now all caught thier own hooters and we trade info which helps us all.

maybe the most important things about catching a wahoo around here involves what not to do as opposed what to do.

1 fish where the fish are. wahoo are big fish used to eating big prey. fish where the fish can get a satisfying meal. if the food isnt there the wahoo is going to go find some somewhere else.

2 don't let your crew decide what you're fishing for. 99% of the people fishing out here don't believe you can catch pelagics and don't want to experiment. f'em. its your boat.

3. we have no giant reef line to high speed on for 50 miles or more. imo high speeding over here is a waste of fuel.

4. trolling natural baits will get expensive and requires slower speeds than lures making a time consuming activity even more so. skip the bait when you are trying to cover lots of ground

5 dont expect to be able to troll the gear you need to with inferior equipment. anyone can get lucky. success is where planning meets oppurtunity. so be prepared and you'll be better off.

6 wahoo are pelagic so that means they travel. but they can also be stationary. think of weeedlines in the keys. everybody just runs out in the morning to find a weedline. because they expect the fish to be stationary near a food source. but there are stationary food sources beneath the water that you can't see with your eyes but the fish will orient themselves toward whatever food source there is in their 3-d environment. meaning, they will respond to food sources in all directions, not just the ones humans can see and recognize.

7 increase your odds. if you tie a string to a nice hot chicken wing and pull it down the street there is an off chance, though unlikely, that you might catch a random fat guy who can't control himself. put that same string tied wing in the local chinese buffet and your odds of catching a fat guy just went up. put that wing on a serving plate at hooters and its quite likely to have more than one fat guy trying to eat it. so the moral is fish at hooters instead of out in the middle of the street.

8 shallower than 120' is too shallow. once you are out past 400' or so your success will be dictated by sea temps, currents, etc.

good luck
thanks for the info. My hunt will continue.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:07 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Sorry for the confusion gents, we Left out of John’s Pass and it was a 90 mile run 230° in 200 ft of water and from the look of it ,it is probably 90 miles out of Cape Coral
Old 01-28-2020, 06:13 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Received 120 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by raydog View Post
Sorry for the confusion gents, we Left out of John’s Pass and it was a 90 mile run 230° in 200 ft of water and from the look of it ,it is probably 90 miles out of Cape Coral
water temp?
live bottom? Structure? High relief?
spring summer fall winter ?






Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 985
Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

He actually did mean the 200 mile buoy. A little out of my range but wouldn't mind trolling around it.
I lost a nice hoo a couple of weeks ago around 200'. Caught a couple of nice ones last spring, one over 50 and one over 60lbs. Mine came off of Nomad lures.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.