Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

south chatham tackle mag spooler and line winder

Notices

south chatham tackle mag spooler and line winder

Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default south chatham tackle mag spooler and line winder

looking for some reviews on the chatham mag spooler and line winder combo I own and older triangle line winder its ok for mono looking for a machine that I can use for braid for my offshore reels
and also smaller jigging reels anyone used the chatham winder and mag spooler need some reviews
Thanks in Advance Tony

Last edited by tony-sally; 01-15-2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: title wrong
Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manahawkin, NJ
Posts: 642
Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

I have the line winder, for a basic unit it does the job pretty well. Spools everything from small inshore stuff to my 50wides. I built a custom spool tensioner though, so no experience with that piece.
One thing, I wish there was a better adapter for spinning reel spools, sometimes it gets cocked and needs readjusting.

Overall no complaints and I’ve put mine through the ringer.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:44 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,939
Received 377 Likes on 197 Posts
Default

I have the line winder which works well.
Bob builds some great products and stands behind them.
Likes:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

thanks Jersey Pro does the winder pull nice and slow when your tensioner is used? and what is the lb. of drag your useing?
the motor on the winder looked small to me and the info on his site the mag drag would pull up to 20-25 lbs of drag
i want to be able to spool at 10-15 lbs of drag with out the winder running at full rpms
Thanks Again Tony
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manahawkin, NJ
Posts: 642
Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tony-sally View Post
thanks Jersey Pro does the winder pull nice and slow when your tensioner is used? and what is the lb. of drag your useing?
the motor on the winder looked small to me and the info on his site the mag drag would pull up to 20-25 lbs of drag
i want to be able to spool at 10-15 lbs of drag with out the winder running at full rpms
Thanks Again Tony
I have the non-motorized option that you hook a power drill onto. My spool tensioner can put some serious heat on it, I spool north of 20lbs for my offshore stuff. Not even breaking a sweat for the spooler, itís some heavy gauge metal and Iím sure the built in power would be loads better than my cordless 18v drill.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:27 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 1,534
Received 328 Likes on 163 Posts
Default

OP, the mag on various models works great. Bob and crew do impeccable work.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:08 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post
OP, the mag on various models works great. Bob and crew do impeccable work.
Texasblue do you use the mag spoiler with the Chatham motorized line wonder?
i know on his site they say that mag will pull 20-25 lbs of drag Iíved read that braid should be put on at 10-15 lbs of drag l own a older model a triwinder sc-125 and the winder just wonít pull that much drag so I want to buy a
complete system to do all the reel needs
And what drag poundage do you use when spoiling braid
Thanks in Advance Tony
Old 01-16-2020, 07:03 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 1,534
Received 328 Likes on 163 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tony-sally View Post
Texasblue do you use the mag spoiler with the Chatham motorized line wonder?
i know on his site they say that mag will pull 20-25 lbs of drag I’ved read that braid should be put on at 10-15 lbs of drag l own a older model a triwinder sc-125 and the winder just won’t pull that much drag so I want to buy a
complete system to do all the reel needs
And what drag poundage do you use when spoiling braid
Thanks in Advance Tony
Hey Tony,
I’ve used several of his systems and the drag you mention (and motorized winder) is no problem and pretty darn smooth. I spool my reels at approx. 12lbs (Talica 50) with a drag scale. In fact, you could ratchet that drag up on his mags and it would be virtually impossible to move.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:25 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chatham mag spooler

Originally Posted by JerseyBros View Post
I have the non-motorized option that you hook a power drill onto. My spool tensioner can put some serious heat on it, I spool north of 20lbs for my offshore stuff. Not even breaking a sweat for the spooler, itís some heavy gauge metal and Iím sure the built in power would be loads better than my cordless 18v drill.
jersey Bros
Spoke with you Last month you said you had the Chatham line spooler the one that uses a power drill do you have the mag spooler that Chatham makes and is that the tensioner youíre useing ? Trying to get info if the mag spooler will generate drag in the 20lb range
Thanks in advance Tony
Old 02-09-2020, 05:11 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manahawkin, NJ
Posts: 642
Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tony-sally View Post
jersey Bros
Spoke with you Last month you said you had the Chatham line spooler the one that uses a power drill do you have the mag spooler that Chatham makes and is that the tensioner youíre useing ? Trying to get info if the mag spooler will generate drag in the 20lb range
Thanks in advance Tony
No, I built my own spool tensioner. Iíll be at my other house next week to work on the boat Iíll post a picture of my setup. I spool in the 20lb range when working with braid backing for my offshore setups.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:24 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spool tensioner

Originally Posted by JerseyBros View Post
No, I built my own spool tensioner. Iíll be at my other house next week to work on the boat Iíll post a picture of my setup. I spool in the 20lb range when working with braid backing for my offshore setups.
Jersey Pros spoke to you back on feb just
wondering did you ever get a chance to post a pic of that spool tensioner líam looking to get something that can spool in that 20 lb range thanks in advance Tony

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.