Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

Mexican Gulf - Venice, LA Charter Review - 42 Freeman

Notices
Like Tree308Likes

Mexican Gulf - Venice, LA Charter Review - 42 Freeman

Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 PM
  #101  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 21,041
Default

I worked as a deck hand in the summers when I was 16-19. Had a great time, made a lot of dough in tips.

So when friends asked me to hep out with my hull when they were overbooked, I said sure. Clients liked me, I made better tips, but after just a few trips realized that it wasn't for me any more.

Some of the people tore up my equipment, were completely uncoordinated, drank too much , were riding each other all day, etc. So before I got angry, I backed away form doing it anymore, as my temperament is no longer suited to the job.

Sounds like these guys should do the same.
Fishin Blue Water likes this.
Bullshipper is online now  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:25 AM
  #102  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,857
Default

Originally Posted by PelagicHunter View Post
im only gonna say one thing and leave it at that : PILL HEADS.

Venice definitely has it's share of that
txtightline likes this.

Last edited by MakoMyDay; 09-12-2019 at 06:20 AM.
MakoMyDay is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:44 AM
  #103  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 692
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
There are serious problems down there
There, fixed it for ya Mako
txtightline is online now  
Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 AM
  #104  
Formerly Propiedad Paradise Panama
Admirals Club  Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Isla Parida, Gulf of Chiriqui, Panama
Posts: 661
Default

Crazy story to hear from an outfit with such a good reputation. Sorry you had a bad experience. A review like that is my nightmare! It's one thing to have an inexperienced mate be rude to a client...it's another for the Captain to not recognize the error and make amends...and then act pretty much the same way to the client as well. I always tell my guys that if the clients are assholes or for whatever reason you get frustrated....always try your best to keep your composure and think before you open your mouth or do something stupid...stay professional and keep your cool. It would be good to hear the response of the crew at MGFC to see what they say.
Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 02:08 PM
  #105  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 977
Default

This need be look into by the upper management.
doughboy361 is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM
  #106  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 639
Default

We have had older guys slither up and sit in the mates seat and talk my ear off about every fish they heve caught in there life.It usally happens as soon as we leave the dock and the mate is putting things away and untying the boat.They sneak right in.It is annoying but we deal with it.It is kind of funny to see my mate sitting with the customers in the back.Being a Captain and dealing with the public has its challenges.Most Captains only can last maybe 10 years,its the people. It certainly seams the Captain and mate were assholes.If one of the clients did something dumb first thing it MIGHT have set the captain off?? NOT saying it happend here.I have had clients do stupid things first thing.I tell them nicely,I am still telling them nicely 6 hours later. Clients will test your patience.I have had guys high sticking,I tell them nicely you cant do that we're not bass fishing.They keep doing it.One guy I told him you going to break the rod if you keep doing it.He broke my rod.I had new upholstery 2500.00 just installed.We tell the clients to keep you fish(grouper,snapper) in the water until we come and grab it.What do they do, they pull in the fish and gash my 1month old bolsters.I have people I will not take for any amount of money.I could write stories all night.I think the guys needed a few day off.Sorry for you lousy trip.Capt.Mike
meritmat likes this.
Daybreaker1 is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:02 PM
  #107  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: S of Tallahassee on Apalachee Bay
Posts: 245
Default

My buddy just got back from Venice MGFC , fishing was slow diff captain not a great experience for my buddy. BTW he’s been several times dating back to Peace’s day. He’s said probably his last trip there.
txtightline likes this.
Sweetwater500 is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:09 PM
  #108  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Jackson, texas
Posts: 466
Default

Originally Posted by Daybreaker1 View Post
We have had older guys slither up and sit in the mates seat and talk my ear off about every fish they heve caught in there life.It usally happens as soon as we leave the dock and the mate is putting things away and untying the boat.They sneak right in.It is annoying but we deal with it.It is kind of funny to see my mate sitting with the customers in the back.Being a Captain and dealing with the public has its challenges.Most Captains only can last maybe 10 years,its the people. It certainly seams the Captain and mate were assholes.If one of the clients did something dumb first thing it MIGHT have set the captain off?? NOT saying it happend here.I have had clients do stupid things first thing.I tell them nicely,I am still telling them nicely 6 hours later. Clients will test your patience.I have had guys high sticking,I tell them nicely you cant do that we're not bass fishing.They keep doing it.One guy I told him you going to break the rod if you keep doing it.He broke my rod.I had new upholstery 2500.00 just installed.We tell the clients to keep you fish(grouper,snapper) in the water until we come and grab it.What do they do, they pull in the fish and gash my 1month old bolsters.I have people I will not take for any amount of money.I could write stories all night.I think the guys needed a few day off.Sorry for you lousy trip.Capt.Mike
or point to the equipment "what does that do" "what's it called?" Why do they call it that?" How far are we from land? I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a flying bridge where you can get the hell away from them.
txtightline likes this.
dsharp is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:22 PM
  #109  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 542
Default

Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
or point to the equipment "what does that do" "what's it called?" Why do they call it that?" How far are we from land? I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a flying bridge where you can get the hell away from them.

err if Iím dropping 3k the lest the captain can do is make time for some of my questions. After all they are in the entertainment business
meritmat is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:35 PM
  #110  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 802
Default

I love being out on the water listening to the charter captains bitch to each other about their customers over the radio. Donít they know that is a public broadcast? I guess they figure that days customers canít hear them but I would never go on any of those boats after listening to that disrespectful drivel. I also think if they feel like that they need a new job, like maybe computer programmer or something.
N2theblue and alligatorgar like this.
DestinBillMe is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:43 PM
  #111  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Default Charter response.

As the thread has come to my attention that I have upset clients also has me upset. As a person in the entertainment industry you must first take care of the people that hire you to perform a duty. That being said letís let people know the other half of the situation.
1. The charter was not switched on the call of the company or captain it was requested by the client to be moved for certain reasons and the current captain was already booked unfortunately but we happened to have another older 42 available for hire.
2. As the wind forecast was 10-15 with 2-4 ocnl 5s for an offshore forecast, and per request of the 65 year old father in the morning as we were leaving dock that ďif it is too rough we are turning around! I have a bad back!Ē My following statement was that if thatís the case. No worries. You say when and its time to go. But the bean bags nearest the motors will be the most comfortable ride for you. As the rest of the entire offshore center console fleet in the world uses bean bags for means of seating during running. One simple statement from my mate was yes. Tapping him on the shoulder and saying. Those beans bags and pointed. If he wanted the seat as some customers do. Then itís theirs No questions asked.
3. Throughout the morning as we finally got to our fishing spot after bouncing thru rough seas we began fishing. After multiple hookups on smaller blackfin, Bonitaís and some undersized yellowfin and multiple times of me and my mate asking if they wanted to fight the fish they only wanted to fight ďgood onesĒ. After a dozen or so ďare they good onesĒ from the charter. Yes. My question is why donít you come fu**ing reel it in and see. Sure. That was my fault. Shouldíve been stated differently. As for rushing off to the helm. Yes. With wind blowing and waves 3/4s pushing the boat off pattern and also bait lines behind the boat nearing the motors. Yes. All captains move swiftly to prevent accidents w lines and motors and to also hold pattern and remain fishing.
4. While swordfishing w discussed every option on the boat as they were deciding on building one. They noticed the amount of stereo package and the son asked if itís loud. As the amount of speakers you can see. Yes. Itís loud. During fishing I do not like to blare the stereo for reasons of doing a job and paying attention to the surrounding equipment for hearing whatís happening is a must. And by the look on the dad is he didnít need to hear how loud it was anyway.
5. As for fishing out the back of the boat. Sure. Everyone is welcome. Please do. As I pointed him to rods and suggested what baits to use and where to throw them. And he did. As did I. Soon as my bait hit the water it was sharked and I, once again. Cussed. SHIT! But not at the customer as for my bait was taken by a damn shark. Maybe he thought it was directed towards him cause we were standing near each other.
6. Nearing the end of the day. Which was 2 hrs after our time of our charter. Roughly 10 hrs is trip. Stayed extra late for the slow fishing. Minus the multiple undersized yellowfin and pulling off a swordfish right under the boat. Fishing was fairly slow. We are now at the dock pumping fuel, After cleaning fish we are prepping for the next days charter. Putting on fresh leaders and going thru the gear. The dock ticket is open for customers while pumping, having dockhands walking around servicing customers They ask for ice from my boat. I simply say that the marina is open and can assist you with anything you need. He wants ice from my fishbox cause it was full. I say ok. Fill a bucket for him. He says thatís not enough and can he have more so I fill an entire shrimp basket for him.
7. If anyone has been to Venice fishing they understand how important it is to accommodate and entertain the customers. Cause fishing is always second. I feel like myself and our company has always strived to be the best. At everything. It made me so upset that I heard about a bad review from someone that seemed to have a good time fishing to only leave and get home to talk about how bad their trip was w me. This is my whole life as a charter captain and Iím fully invested in making my clients happy and wanting to return with us. I just wish that some would say so while actively fishing rather than a few days later if they werenít enjoying themselves Sure. Things couldíve been dealt with differently and as a captain Iíll vow to work on that. Having heard about this post from third party people and starting a profile to help me get better at my job should say that we are not an entitled company or crew but strive to be the best. And if weíre not. We want to know how we can be. Thank yíall for reading all of that!
Cheers!
Bluewaterbyrd42 is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 PM
  #112  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Jackson, texas
Posts: 466
Default

A 42’ Freeman has to bounce through 2-4’ rough seas. Who would have thought.
arczr2 and mdees88 like this.
dsharp is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:12 PM
  #113  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edgewater, Maryland
Posts: 1,059
Default

Originally Posted by Daybreaker1 View Post
We have had older guys slither up and sit in the mates seat and talk my ear off about every fish they heve caught in there life.It usally happens as soon as we leave the dock and the mate is putting things away and untying the boat.They sneak right in.It is annoying but we deal with it.It is kind of funny to see my mate sitting with the customers in the back.Being a Captain and dealing with the public has its challenges.Most Captains only can last maybe 10 years,its the people. It certainly seams the Captain and mate were assholes.If one of the clients did something dumb first thing it MIGHT have set the captain off?? NOT saying it happend here.I have had clients do stupid things first thing.I tell them nicely,I am still telling them nicely 6 hours later. Clients will test your patience.I have had guys high sticking,I tell them nicely you cant do that we're not bass fishing.They keep doing it.One guy I told him you going to break the rod if you keep doing it.He broke my rod.I had new upholstery 2500.00 just installed.We tell the clients to keep you fish(grouper,snapper) in the water until we come and grab it.What do they do, they pull in the fish and gash my 1month old bolsters.I have people I will not take for any amount of money.I could write stories all night.I think the guys needed a few day off.Sorry for you lousy trip.Capt.Mike
thanks for sharing your perspective. I worked as a mate for 10 years during the 80ís and now take people out (recreational)on my boat offshore. I get what you are saying. I hate when someone chews my ear off when I am trying to concentrate on navigating in the dark or Fog. I always try to be polite but sometimes people just donít get it. The OP runs a 42 cc offshore and is considering a freeman as his next boat so i am guessing this isnít his first rodeo.

These guys sound like pricks with a bad attitude. Someone from Mexican gulf fishing should respond to the OP either in private or on this thread.
old hat is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:16 PM
  #114  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 517
Default

Popcorn ready...42 freeman in 3 to 4s I thought could run 60 plus while sipping a latte according to this forum 😂😂
arczr2 is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 PM
  #115  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 517
Default

Originally Posted by old hat View Post

thanks for sharing your perspective. I worked as a mate for 10 years during the 80ís and now take people out (recreational)on my boat offshore. I get what you are saying. I hate when someone chews my ear off when I am trying to concentrate on navigating in the dark or Fog. I always try to be polite but sometimes people just donít get it. The OP runs a 42 cc offshore and is considering a freeman as his next boat so i am guessing this isnít his first rodeo.

These guys sound like pricks with a bad attitude. Someone from Mexican gulf fishing should respond to the OP either in private or on this thread.

Appears capt above responded above
arczr2 is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 PM
  #116  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,990
Default

Originally Posted by Bluewaterbyrd42 View Post
As the thread has come to my attention that I have upset clients also has me upset. As a person in the entertainment industry you must first take care of the people that hire you to perform a duty. That being said letís let people know the other half of the situation.
1. The charter was not switched on the call of the company or captain it was requested by the client to be moved for certain reasons and the current captain was already booked unfortunately but we happened to have another older 42 available for hire.
2. As the wind forecast was 10-15 with 2-4 ocnl 5s for an offshore forecast, and per request of the 65 year old father in the morning as we were leaving dock that ďif it is too rough we are turning around! I have a bad back!Ē My following statement was that if thatís the case. No worries. You say when and its time to go. But the bean bags nearest the motors will be the most comfortable ride for you. As the rest of the entire offshore center console fleet in the world uses bean bags for means of seating during running. One simple statement from my mate was yes. Tapping him on the shoulder and saying. Those beans bags and pointed. If he wanted the seat as some customers do. Then itís theirs No questions asked.
3. Throughout the morning as we finally got to our fishing spot after bouncing thru rough seas we began fishing. After multiple hookups on smaller blackfin, Bonitaís and some undersized yellowfin and multiple times of me and my mate asking if they wanted to fight the fish they only wanted to fight ďgood onesĒ. After a dozen or so ďare they good onesĒ from the charter. Yes. My question is why donít you come fu**ing reel it in and see. Sure. That was my fault. Shouldíve been stated differently. As for rushing off to the helm. Yes. With wind blowing and waves 3/4s pushing the boat off pattern and also bait lines behind the boat nearing the motors. Yes. All captains move swiftly to prevent accidents w lines and motors and to also hold pattern and remain fishing.
4. While swordfishing w discussed every option on the boat as they were deciding on building one. They noticed the amount of stereo package and the son asked if itís loud. As the amount of speakers you can see. Yes. Itís loud. During fishing I do not like to blare the stereo for reasons of doing a job and paying attention to the surrounding equipment for hearing whatís happening is a must. And by the look on the dad is he didnít need to hear how loud it was anyway.
5. As for fishing out the back of the boat. Sure. Everyone is welcome. Please do. As I pointed him to rods and suggested what baits to use and where to throw them. And he did. As did I. Soon as my bait hit the water it was sharked and I, once again. Cussed. SHIT! But not at the customer as for my bait was taken by a damn shark. Maybe he thought it was directed towards him cause we were standing near each other.
6. Nearing the end of the day. Which was 2 hrs after our time of our charter. Roughly 10 hrs is trip. Stayed extra late for the slow fishing. Minus the multiple undersized yellowfin and pulling off a swordfish right under the boat. Fishing was fairly slow. We are now at the dock pumping fuel, After cleaning fish we are prepping for the next days charter. Putting on fresh leaders and going thru the gear. The dock ticket is open for customers while pumping, having dockhands walking around servicing customers They ask for ice from my boat. I simply say that the marina is open and can assist you with anything you need. He wants ice from my fishbox cause it was full. I say ok. Fill a bucket for him. He says thatís not enough and can he have more so I fill an entire shrimp basket for him.
7. If anyone has been to Venice fishing they understand how important it is to accommodate and entertain the customers. Cause fishing is always second. I feel like myself and our company has always strived to be the best. At everything. It made me so upset that I heard about a bad review from someone that seemed to have a good time fishing to only leave and get home to talk about how bad their trip was w me. This is my whole life as a charter captain and Iím fully invested in making my clients happy and wanting to return with us. I just wish that some would say so while actively fishing rather than a few days later if they werenít enjoying themselves Sure. Things couldíve been dealt with differently and as a captain Iíll vow to work on that. Having heard about this post from third party people and starting a profile to help me get better at my job should say that we are not an entitled company or crew but strive to be the best. And if weíre not. We want to know how we can be. Thank yíall for reading all of that!
Cheers!
Originally Posted by old hat View Post

thanks for sharing your perspective. I worked as a mate for 10 years during the 80ís and now take people out (recreational)on my boat offshore. I get what you are saying. I hate when someone chews my ear off when I am trying to concentrate on navigating in the dark or Fog. I always try to be polite but sometimes people just donít get it. The OP runs a 42 cc offshore and is considering a freeman as his next boat so i am guessing this isnít his first rodeo.

These guys sound like pricks with a bad attitude. Someone from Mexican gulf fishing should respond to the OP either in private or on this thread.
How did you miss it
mdees88 likes this.
Vantaredoc is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 PM
  #117  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Jackson, texas
Posts: 466
Default

Originally Posted by old hat View Post

thanks for sharing your perspective. I worked as a mate for 10 years during the 80ís and now take people out (recreational)on my boat offshore. I get what you are saying. I hate when someone chews my ear off when I am trying to concentrate on navigating in the dark or Fog. I always try to be polite but sometimes people just donít get it. The OP runs a 42 cc offshore and is considering a freeman as his next boat so i am guessing this isnít his first rodeo.

These guys sound like pricks with a bad attitude. Someone from Mexican gulf fishing should respond to the OP either in private or on this thread.
read post 111
dsharp is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM
  #118  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 692
Default

Great feedback from the Captain. Definitely valid point about not voicing complaints at the time vs after the fact. I think many of us are guilty of that at times. Being non confrontational isnít always best.

Nobody asks for my vote but I call this one a draw boys and girls.

The beauty is in the future someone can read this and make an educated decision and they can also understand perspective from both sides. Valuable.
Rod27 likes this.
txtightline is online now  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 PM
  #119  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Default

I can't respond directly to this post because I was not there. What I can say is we just spent the last three days fishing with the captain and mate that were the subject of this post. Our experience was 100% positive. Day 1 we caught YFT up to 50lbs. Day 2 we went way out, hit some rigs, and then deep dropped. Caught BFT and some big tilefish. Day 3 we stayed closer in and hit a bunch of rigs. Caught the biggest mangrove snappers I've ever seen, and 4 cobia. The captain, mate, and boat were all exceptional. This was our first experience with Mexican Gulf, and it was great. I've owned a boat for 30 years, and have fished either charters or private boats all over Florida, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, and Mexico. I consider this to be a top notch operation with the latest boats, gear, etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but my experience the last three days was nothing like this post. I'm already trying to figure out the next trip down here.
txtightline likes this.
johngreer44 is offline  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM
  #120  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 29
Default

Well damn, I didn't realize you were near death at 65! I'm almost 70, just retired and me and two of my good buddies are coming down to Venice in two weeks (right after the Dawgs run Notre Dame)! We're no great experts but one pal lives in Ft Meyers and yak fishes all the time and the other guy is coming so we can be together on what we hope is an epic trip. Elsewhere on THT there is a review of the company we are using and the dude is just ripping them. I asked a couple of simple questions like "if it was so bad did you say anything"? No answers at all. I've fished Hatteras, Destin, Maui, the Sea of Cortez, and 10,000 Islands off the glades and have always gotten along with the captain. On Maui I went on the Die Hard and every review was positive but said Captain Fuzzy did not mess around, it was about fishing. I should probably stay off these thread because when I read how lousy the fishing is down there I figure that I must be dreaming while I watch the live cam at the Venice Marina and see all the fish. Here's hoping a beat up old man can hack it!
raven316 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread