Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

How to catch cobia wahoo tuna under waterspouts while deepdropping

Notices
Like Tree29Likes

How to catch cobia wahoo tuna under waterspouts while deepdropping

Old 08-04-2019, 08:10 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 253
Default How to catch cobia wahoo tuna under waterspouts while deepdropping

I'm not sure what kind of throwed off video this is but I made it and I hope I can get people to watch it! If you like it please click the thumbs up and subscribe !!!!! I sure as hell don't know how to catch a yellowfin but that gives me reason to try harder next time...
cummins28, arczr2, captdrh and 1 others like this.
marx88 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SE NC
Posts: 141
Default

This is some great entertainment. You're a brave man for bringing that big of a green cobia on to the deck.
SwampDog13 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 501
Default

Awesome video looking forward to the next one entertaining as always !
arczr2 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:09 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 253
Default

Thanks guys! Make sure you click on the 1080p resolutions this video is highest quality HD like a shimano Yamaha aftco badass mfer
DotRotten and Kylemh36 like this.
marx88 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:10 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, 'Merica!
Posts: 1,614
Default

Your videos are growing on me. Very entertaining!

Question - you seem to like trolling quite a bit. Do you wear one of those remote kill switches in case you fall overboard or just risk it? Your boat has high gunnels so it’s not likely but you never know. Just curious.



Marlin308 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:33 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,762
Default

^^X 2 . Good vid of the Tuna . You've caught a lot of flak but I always figured you maybe a little wacky but there's nothing fake about it .
ed d is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 501
Default

Question how much fuel does that boat hold and how many days you stay out at a time? Are you turning off 1 motor at night to minimize fuel consumption ?
arczr2 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,512
Default

Subbed for when the safty patrol comes in telling you you're gonna die out there. Between those guys and the if you don't know what species it is why kill it crew this thread has potential.
trejsic.mejsic likes this.
DotRotten is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 11:04 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by Marlin308 View Post
Your videos are growing on me. Very entertaining!

Question - you seem to like trolling quite a bit. Do you wear one of those remote kill switches in case you fall overboard or just risk it? Your boat has high gunnels so it’s not likely but you never know. Just curious.



yes I got one hand holding on for dear life at all times. If that hand wears out I got a spare.
arczr2, JWild, Chimpo and 1 others like this.
marx88 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 11:11 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by arczr2 View Post
Question how much fuel does that boat hold and how many days you stay out at a time? Are you turning off 1 motor at night to minimize fuel consumption ?
I already broke one starter but I just turn off the engines at night. I drive 20 miles past where I want to be the next day. The most I've drifted is 18.76 miles in a few hours while asleep. I also like to deploy a giant army parachute behind the boat that will stop me dead in the water. The problem with that is some swordfish or something swam in it at night and broke it off and I lost the whole rig with a lot of badass rope and a big bouy. I also have a blanket I can use as a sail. Worst case scenario I hook up the sail to the outriggers and I can make 6 knots on a good day. One of my main concerns is steering. I had a hook puncture my hydraulic steering line and that was a bad deal to say the least. Now I keep a hydraulic hose repair kit, a block and tackle with some rope in case I need to try to steer the boat manually. I also keep a few supply boats on stand by in case I need them to tow me in. 😉

Last edited by marx88; 08-04-2019 at 11:17 AM.
marx88 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 11:37 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, 'Merica!
Posts: 1,614
Default

Originally Posted by DotRotten View Post
Subbed for when the safty patrol comes in telling you you're gonna die out there. Between those guys and the if you don't know what species it is why kill it crew this thread has potential.
Trust me I'm no safety patrol. I was just curious since going on solo overnight trips is something I'd like to try one day, and the OP's videos have encouraged me. I do remember the story of that guy a few years ago that fell out his boat while on auto-pilot down around Miami. He swam 9 miles back to shore I believe and lived to tell about it.

Marx88 - so when you're drifting at night do you set any kind of radar alarm to let you know if a storm or ship is approaching? Have you ever gotten close to getting hit by a big crew boat or container ship? Again...not "safety patrol" just trying to figure out how to avoid getting run over by a large ship at night. I fish in the same general areas and see how much work boat/shipping activity there is out there.

Marlin308 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 501
Default

Originally Posted by marx88 View Post
I already broke one starter but I just turn off the engines at night. I drive 20 miles past where I want to be the next day. The most I've drifted is 18.76 miles in a few hours while asleep. I also like to deploy a giant army parachute behind the boat that will stop me dead in the water. The problem with that is some swordfish or something swam in it at night and broke it off and I lost the whole rig with a lot of badass rope and a big bouy. I also have a blanket I can use as a sail. Worst case scenario I hook up the sail to the outriggers and I can make 6 knots on a good day. One of my main concerns is steering. I had a hook puncture my hydraulic steering line and that was a bad deal to say the least. Now I keep a hydraulic hose repair kit, a block and tackle with some rope in case I need to try to steer the boat manually. I also keep a few supply boats on stand by in case I need them to tow me in. 😉
A sail using the outriggers lol would be a site to see! I'm not ballsy enough to shut my motor down 60 Miles out we leave it running the whole time. There a specific channel for supply boats or do you know them. We rolling next weekend and def wont be to sam Croft or globetrotter lol. Probably ewing bank area around prince area. You want tuna run to bigfoot area probably best shot for yellowfin. Small bloated fish was a wenchman snapper.

Last edited by arczr2; 08-04-2019 at 01:19 PM.
arczr2 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:53 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by Marlin308 View Post
Trust me I'm no safety patrol. I was just curious since going on solo overnight trips is something I'd like to try one day, and the OP's videos have encouraged me. I do remember the story of that guy a few years ago that fell out his boat while on auto-pilot down around Miami. He swam 9 miles back to shore I believe and lived to tell about it.

Marx88 - so when you're drifting at night do you set any kind of radar alarm to let you know if a storm or ship is approaching? Have you ever gotten close to getting hit by a big crew boat or container ship? Again...not "safety patrol" just trying to figure out how to avoid getting run over by a large ship at night. I fish in the same general areas and see how much work boat/shipping activity there is out there.
I try to contact any vessels in the area and tell them I'm camping up. One time some container ship woke me up at 3 am blowing the horn and it scared me to death. They were well away from me and there was no real danger, i kind of felt like they were trying to scare me. It was huge and covered in rust like a freaking ghost ship about 115 miles offshore. No telling what they were doing out there. I use my fish finder to locate shipping channels and drift away from them. I set one radio to scan and 1 to channel 16. I quit leaving any lines out because if you wake up it's probably too late and I have lost some good rigs to God knows what drifting for swords at night. No lines out plenty of lights and your good to go. Oh yea all the windows open ais alert radar alert sensitivity on low for the sonar and an alarm on there in case a whale comes up under the boat. This better not be illegal but if you can plan your drift and you have a light wind or some current and you can tell how fast you are going let's say you're drifting at 1.3 knots you can set your phone to have an alarm and save 5 hours and you know that you've traveled 8 miles you can make a really good gas mileage
arczr2 likes this.
marx88 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:03 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by arczr2 View Post
A sail using the outriggers lol would be a site to see! I'm not ballsy enough to shut my motor down 60 Miles out we leave it running the whole time. There a specific channel for supply boats or do you know them. We rolling next weekend and def wont be to sam Croft or globetrotter lol. Probably ewing bank area around prince area. You want tuna run to bigfoot area probably best shot for yellowfin. Small bloated fish was a wenchman snapper.
That's my personal best henchman snapper. Try throwing a yellowfin or a red snapper on the deck of that crew boat and you will be taken care of. Or keep some girls in bikinis with you, I do both. I have tools on the boat and I think I could take the starter off 1 motor and put it on the other if By some weird coincidence I lost one starter motor and then ran the other motor and it died too I could always use parts off a 1 motor and make the other 1 work. I would prefer to have a 36 volt trolling motor hooked to a bunch of solar panels. Actually I have all that waiting to be hooked up gotta dream big! If you wanna see a nice boat look up Nordhavn that's my favorite diesel boat but I really like the silent 55 e-catamaran if I had either one of these boats I would be circumnavigating the world

Last edited by marx88; 08-04-2019 at 02:11 PM.
marx88 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:08 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 253
Default


most dangerous part about fishing is the damn highway and the parking lot at the boat ramp. Luckily I'm a professional nascar type trailer repairman
arczr2 likes this.
marx88 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:18 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 820
Default

Love your videos man!
BST24351 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:32 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LBI NJ
Posts: 2,329
Default

Well you can do it all, just remember a life preserver is your friend.
Re-Bait is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:11 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 501
Default

Originally Posted by marx88 View Post

most dangerous part about fishing is the damn highway and the parking lot at the boat ramp. Luckily I'm a professional nascar type trailer repairman

Hardest part imo is launching and then hooking up to a rig but I'm not brave enough yet to venture that far solo yet this weekend would have been the weekend to go but I've been at work... typical
arczr2 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 501
Default

Originally Posted by Re-Bait View Post
Well you can do it all, just remember a life preserver is your friend.

I agree but then what boats running away from you lol I get it you stand a better fighting chance but jeez if I'm gonna go out it would be in the ocean doing what I love. Props to ya buddy keep letting it eat and smashing bigger ling solo than most these baws can handle with 2 to 3 guys on boat.
arczr2 is offline  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:49 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,816
Default

Yer gonna die out there!
Fish'nFool is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread