Notices
Like Tree42Likes

Uni- Uni failure

Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 161
Default Uni- Uni failure

I have been using this knot as long as I can remember with no issues. Usually braid to mono/floro. Fishing the other day my double uniís failed a couple times when hooked up. Kids were fighting some Bonita that were running like hell from the sharks. Line broke at the uni a few times on 2 different rods. Line was put on both rods about 9mo ago.

Set was 40lb mono leader tied to 20lb main line. Going to change out the main line since itís pushing a year. Thinking maybe thatís it.

Any other knot you recommend for offshore 20-30 mainline to 40-60lb mono/floro? Iíve done my research but what are you using?
Finatic Jason is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 329
Default

I normally tie the FG knot. Steep learning curve to get it right, but I think it's stronger than the uni-uni. Alternatives are a bimini to any number of knots - bristol, aussie quickie, or uni. The FG takes practice, but no other knot comes out of guides that smoothly.
seabassassassin is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Clearwater & Cudjoe Key, FL
Posts: 366
Default

I use the Uni to Uni exclusively. It works. If it breaks I could only blame 2 things - the way I tied it or maybe old frayed line.

One trick I was told years ago by a local guide - if the main line and leader vary too much in diameter use an extra wrap (or 2 or 3 ) on the smaller diameter line. With braid to flouro that usually means you wrap the braid 4/5/6 times instead of the normal 3, then do 3 wraps of the flouro. It "evens out" both sides of the knot.
Re-Bait, jheiii and Texasblue like this.
swampr is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location:
Posts: 15
Default

I began to have the same issue when putting a lot of heat on fish vertical jigging with a uni to uni. I since switched to a 10 turn spider hitch with the braid and then a Bristol or no name knot (same thing) to connect the mono to braid. I have not had any failures at the knot since. I still use the uni to uni when Iím not fishing an application with a lot of drag pressure, jigging for pompís inshore for instance, but otherwise I like this setup and the knots are easy to learn.
zman824 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:46 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 17,133
Default

Alberto albright...
triumphrick is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 8,719
Default

Slim Beauty. Plenty of videos and easy once you've tied a couple.
Cobia 217 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CMCH NJ
Posts: 2,421
Default

I haven't had a uni to uni fail and have caught 15lb tog in 100 feet water
Spooled is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:08 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 601
Default

FG or Bobbin knot are the strongest I believe.I've been using the bobbin the last couple of trips for braid/mono and mono/flouro but it's a bit of a PITA.
Carolina Pavers and mdees88 like this.
Lu 1967 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:25 PM
  #9  
mgd
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 558
Default

I'd bet that if u looked at it closely u would see that the 20 line broke at the knot. 9 Months is not that long for line BUT how much has that know been under pressure w fish?
Does not take much to take the stretch out of 20" line especially catching bonita!
Maybe yank some off and re tie or replace the 20
alacrity likes this.
mgd is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 116
Default

curious what line you were using for leader. I have had the "non leader" fluoro break like that. Never really had an issue with nice Seaguar blue label or Yozuri pink.
jjc0009 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 841
Default

FG knot, spend some time at home and learn how to tie it right. IMO strongest & best knot to use on braid.
lurker25 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:23 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,090
Default

when I use the uni to uni between braid and a fluoro/mono leader, the braid always cuts thru the leader when I pull the knot tight...what am I doing wrong here? braid is 30lb test 8 lb diameter, fluoro is usually 15-30lb test. I have started using the Albright but I don't like how it catches on the rod eyes and often seems to hand trash in the water too...
cfarmd is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:49 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stapleton, AL
Posts: 2,589
Default

Originally Posted by Finatic Jason View Post
I have been using this knot as long as I can remember with no issues. Usually braid to mono/floro. Fishing the other day my double uniís failed a couple times when hooked up. Kids were fighting some Bonita that were running like hell from the sharks. Line broke at the uni a few times on 2 different rods. Line was put on both rods about 9mo ago.

Set was 40lb mono leader tied to 20lb main line. Going to change out the main line since itís pushing a year. Thinking maybe thatís it.

Any other knot you recommend for offshore 20-30 mainline to 40-60lb mono/floro? Iíve done my research but what are you using?
​​​​​​

You never mentioned how much drag you were using? Perhaps you were using more drag than the 20lb mainline could handle when using that particular knot. A lot of people use uni-uni knots successfully but that doesn't negate the fact that it's a rather weak knot.

I lock the drags on my small spinners when catching Bonita but my mainline is sized appropriately for the max drags of the reel.

I use 20lb braid FG knot or PR knot to 20-30lb fluoro for bonitas. My reels only put out 10lbs of drag at full so no worry of breaking anything....

Try a surgeons loop for mono to leader. It's very strong and easy to tie.... it's also significantly stronger than Albrights and uni to uni's according to the salt strong tests. I use it when adding short leaders to mono.....

Was your mainline mono or braid? You said you "usually use braid to mono" but you also said you plan on changing out 9 month old mainline because it's getting old so I thought you were using mono...
Re-Bait likes this.

Last edited by mdees88; 06-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.
mdees88 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:00 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: West Palm
Posts: 168
Default

If you dont wet a uni to uni when you pull it tight it will break every time.
Gatorzone19 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:01 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando / Port Canaveral FL
Posts: 1,150
Default

For braid to mono/fluoro, I've been using the improved albright. Doesn't seem to be too popular in this thread.

Texasblue, cwhite6 and ed d like this.
krocks is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:20 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,090
Default

Originally Posted by Gatorzone19 View Post
If you dont wet a uni to uni when you pull it tight it will break every time.
I slobber it up good. always seems the braid cuts the leader
cfarmd is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stapleton, AL
Posts: 2,589
Default

Originally Posted by cfarmd View Post
when I use the uni to uni between braid and a fluoro/mono leader, the braid always cuts thru the leader when I pull the knot tight...what am I doing wrong here? braid is 30lb test 8 lb diameter, fluoro is usually 15-30lb test. I have started using the Albright but I don't like how it catches on the rod eyes and often seems to hand trash in the water too...
Saltstrong does a doubled double uni. They double up the braid before tying the uni with it. They said it's stronger than a regular uni-uni. I would give that a try....

That being said if you learn how to properly tie the FG knot you won't catch trash in water, won't feel it go through the guides, and will have a knot that's signifantly stronger than any other knot mentioned here besides the PR bobbin knot.....
Poorbastard likes this.
mdees88 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:00 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 144
Default

Iíve never had a double uni fail. That said, I always double the braid with a Spider Hitch. I use 10 turns on the braid and 7 turns on the mono in the double uni. If you donít double the braid it will cut the mono under heavy pressure.
fly186 likes this.
Dustin is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,090
Default

Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Iíve never had a double uni fail. That said, I always double the braid with a Spider Hitch. I use 10 turns on the braid and 7 turns on the mono in the double uni. If you donít double the braid it will cut the mono under heavy pressure.
ill try doubling the braid. makes sense
cfarmd is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:18 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 601
Default

Originally Posted by mdees88 View Post
Saltstrong does a doubled double uni. They double up the braid before tying the uni with it. They said it's stronger than a regular uni-uni. I would give that a try....

That being said if you learn how to properly tie the FG knot you won't catch trash in water, won't feel it go through the guides, and will have a knot that's signifantly stronger than any other knot mentioned here besides the PR bobbin knot.....
Gonna have to keep this in mind with some of our lighter setups.Was fishing with a local in Largo and he commented that my bobbin knots were the prettiest biminis he'd ever seen lol.
mdees88 likes this.
Lu 1967 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread