The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   SportFishing and Charters Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum-20/)
-   -   King newbie questions follow up - got 1! (https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/1007929-king-newbie-questions-follow-up-got-1-a.html)

mdees88 05-14-2019 04:09 PM


Originally Posted by Onewolf (Post 12526980)
One thing to keep in mind with kingfish is that they have the highest mercury content of any of the Atlantic/Gulf sportfish and experts recommend less than 1 serving per month for adult males. 0 servings for women and children.

If that sort of thing matters to you. :)

Mackerel | Seafood Selector

Keep the small ones for yourself. Give the big ones to your "buddies" :thumbsup:

meritmat 05-14-2019 06:34 PM

Caught one HST in the Bahamas, cooked up some of it that night. Excellent pan fried....granted Everthing tastes great in the Bahamas:thumbsup:

jhendric 05-14-2019 07:07 PM

Brined then smoked King is really really good. To me that's A1...no reason to cook them any other way. You don't need a high dollar smoker, unlike pork, fish only takes 2-3 hours of smoke which any el-cheapo smoker can provide.

marlinlane 05-14-2019 07:52 PM

when releasing watch out for the teeth-we release most of the kings we catch-not difficult once you get the technique down

Sea Daddy 05-14-2019 09:30 PM

IMO King are not even close to the best eating fish. Fun to catch no doubt. If your tied up around a rig with baitfish like hardtail, catch one and put him live on a balloon rig way behind the boat. A big “rogue” king may hit him.

Fight, have fun and if your heart desires, land him and keep. But lot of dark meat. Dip, boiled meat, etc is decent but take the middle blood line out. Can cut in cross sections and thumb the better part of meat out of each quarter.

But I digress, to each their own on that everyone’s individual deal..

.

N2theblue 05-15-2019 04:26 AM


Originally Posted by Sea Daddy (Post 12527880)
IMO King are not even close to the best eating fish. Fun to catch no doubt. If your tied up around a rig with baitfish like hardtail, catch one and put him live on a balloon rig way behind the boat. A big “rouge” king may hit him.

Fight, have fun and if your heart desires, land him and keep. But lot of dark meat. Dip, boiled meat, etc is decent but take the middle blood line out. Can cut in cross sections and thumb the better part of meat out of each quarter.

But I digress, to each their own on that everyone’s individual deal..

.

I don't think anyone claimed they were the best eating fish? Or even close.

You've caught kings wearing make-up? Drag queens or beauty queens?

raystein 05-15-2019 02:06 PM

Clean the meat up, cut into clean nuggets, soak a couple of hours in publix mojo, bread in zatarains fry breading of choice, deep fry, guarantee everyone will love it.

Sea Daddy 05-15-2019 06:06 PM


Originally Posted by N2theblue (Post 12528123)
I don't think anyone claimed they were the best eating fish? Or even close.

You've caught kings wearing make-up? Drag queens or beauty queens?

Typo.

Didnt see where I accused anyone of claiming they were the best eating fish. Or even close.

Don't be so defensive blue, eat em all if ya want. dgaf

.

mdees88 05-15-2019 07:06 PM


Originally Posted by Sea Daddy (Post 12530860)
Didnt see where I accused anyone of claiming they were the best eating fish. Or even close..


To me, the following statement implies someone in this thread said kings are the best eating fish, even though no one did.


Originally Posted by Sea Daddy (Post 12527880)
IMO King are not even close to the best eating fish.


N2theblue 05-15-2019 07:13 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one who read it that way

Sea Daddy 05-15-2019 08:00 PM


Originally Posted by mdees88 (Post 12531033)
To me, the following statement implies someone in this thread said kings are the best eating fish, even though no one did.

Point taken. Did not mean to imply that.

My favorite way to prepare and eat king is to cut in cross section steaks about 1-1.5 inches thick and thumb out the loins/balls of meat and boil them with favorite crab/shrimp boil. Or smoke the steaks with favorite seasoning. Can use either as dip, topping or just by itself.

.

mdees88 05-15-2019 08:08 PM


Originally Posted by Sea Daddy (Post 12531203)
Point taken. Did not mean to imply that.

My favorite way to prepare and eat king is to cut in cross section steaks about 1-1.5 inches thick and thumb out the loins/balls of meat and boil them with favorite crab/shrimp boil. Or smoke the steaks with favorite seasoning. Can use either as dip, topping or just by itself.

.

Those center loin/balls are definitely the best meat on the fish. Never heard of boiling them before. That's seems pretty interesting.....

Sea Daddy 05-15-2019 08:22 PM


Originally Posted by mdees88 (Post 12531217)
Those center loin/balls are definitely the best meat on the fish. Never heard of boiling them before. That's seems pretty interesting.....

Doesn't take long. Tastes like crab meat. Good topping or meat for your dip.

.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.