Notices
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By raysmith
  • 1 Post By florida_native
  • 1 Post By 196YWHB
  • 1 Post By Hillsboro

Bucket trip w/ pops

Old 05-05-2019, 06:39 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 332
Default Bucket trip w/ pops

Fellas-
My wife and her mom just did a girls trip to Scotland. It got me thinking. Shit. My pops is a healthy 81. I fish because of him. We need to do a somewhat easy bucket list trip. He loves both offshore and near/inshore. Casa Vieja? Tropic Star? Los Suenos? Would love to get multiple shots at “easy” billfish and other big game. Need easy seas and good nearby medicine in case the unthinkable pops up. Any other suggestions? Want to say in this hemisphere. Thanks in advance!
Volleybum1970 is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 07:46 PM
  #2  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Port Charlotte
Posts: 1,126
Default

Los suenos
ed d likes this.
raysmith is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sarasota
Posts: 3,551
Default

“Easy” billfish...Guatemala hands dowm...
gumpire is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 04:14 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Los Suenos . On site medical care and very smooth seas.
c hammond is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 04:36 AM
  #5  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 1,485
Default

Here’s a terrific choice - Ecuagringo.com. Best striped marlin in the world in the Galápagos Islands. Catch up to 25 striped marlin or more in a day at peak season in one of the world’s coolest places. Calm seas during peak season. I just got back from fishing for giant blue marlin with them on a special exploratory trip. In 5 days fishing, my son landed a 1200 plus pounder, I lost a 900 plus pounder, and our friend landed a 400 plus pounder.


Isla Mujeres for sailfish in the springtime.

Tropic Star is too remote for quick medical care. Lots Suenos billfishing is good, not great.

Kona in Hawaii in July-September - calm seas, lots of blue marlin. Very good medical care.

Ocean City, Maryland - July, August, September - white marlin capital of the world

Cabo - striped marlin



jillybird is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 AM
  #6  
pje
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando , Fl
Posts: 2,340
Default

Originally Posted by Volleybum1970 View Post
Fellas-
My wife and her mom just did a girls trip to Scotland. It got me thinking. Shit. My pops is a healthy 81. I fish because of him. We need to do a somewhat easy bucket list trip. He loves both offshore and near/inshore. Casa Vieja? Tropic Star? Los Suenos? Would love to get multiple shots at “easy” billfish and other big game. Need easy seas and good nearby medicine in case the unthinkable pops up. Any other suggestions? Want to say in this hemisphere. Thanks in advance!

Los Suenos would be perfect for you , plenty of shots at sails , blues and stripeys on a daily basis . Maybe even a black marlin as well . You could maybe do a FAD trip as well , the seas are flat almost year round . Fish a couple of days and you will be more than happy with the number of billfish , YFT and mahi .

CVL is the sailfish capital , with shots at blues . Dave and Kristin run a first class operation , but given your situation I highly recommend LS , you won't be disappointed .

Fish with Mike on the Epic in LS . Take a private van to LS from SJO , and stop at the Tarcoles river and check out the crocs on your way in . I fish down in Quepos on a regular basis , let me know if you have any questions .
pje is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 AM
  #7  
pje
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando , Fl
Posts: 2,340
Default

Originally Posted by jillybird View Post
Here’s a terrific choice - Ecuagringo.com. Best striped marlin in the world in the Galápagos Islands. Catch up to 25 striped marlin or more in a day at peak season in one of the world’s coolest places. Calm seas during peak season. I just got back from fishing for giant blue marlin with them on a special exploratory trip. In 5 days fishing, my son landed a 1200 plus pounder, I lost a 900 plus pounder, and our friend landed a 400 plus pounder.


Isla Mujeres for sailfish in the springtime.

Tropic Star is too remote for quick medical care. Lots Suenos billfishing is good, not great.

Kona in Hawaii in July-September - calm seas, lots of blue marlin. Very good medical care.

Ocean City, Maryland - July, August, September - white marlin capital of the world

Cabo - striped marlin



I'd like to see a report and pics on your trip with Ecuagringo . I have gotten the email blasts and FB reports , but have never seen a report from an actual charter customer . We looked into going , but decided the fishing there wasn't really any better than in CR .. I plan on fishing Manta sometime in the near future ...Please post up a report

I wouldn't recommend Kona for numbers at all . You will get a couple of shots if you fish 5-7 days in a row . A few guys from Hawaii fly down to fish with us in CR on a regular basis , instead of fishing there .

Cabo ..best time for stripeys is Nov-Dec on the Finger Bank . But it will be bumpy .

You can't beat CR for numbers and variety of billfish

pje is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 332
Default

Thanks guys-
Between my sky miles and Marriott points and the the healthcare, I’m leaning Los Sueños. I read that it is almost a year-round fishery. Best time to go for abundance of variety? Best time for sea state?
Volleybum1970 is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 155
Default

Isla Mujeres during January and February is great sail fishing. Been a couple times, and our best day was 42
jshanks is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:33 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hillsboro/ Boca Inlet
Posts: 32
Default

Los Suenos. Went for my dads 50th birthday and my 75 year old grandfather joined us. I never saw him smile and laugh so much in his life. He had an absolute blast the whole time. Everything is top notch there. We went with captain Alex Holden of Miss Be'havin' but I believe he has upgraded to a bigger boat called "constellation." Great North Carolina born captain. He worked hard for us and averaged 7-10 sails a day during their off season with a shot at 3 marlin. Their idea of rough over there is 3-4 ft. It was a lake the whole time we were there. Cant say enough about los suenos. Probably going back for my 30th next year.
Volleybum1970 likes this.
florida_native is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 AM
  #11  
pje
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando , Fl
Posts: 2,340
Default

Originally Posted by Volleybum1970 View Post
Thanks guys-
Between my sky miles and Marriott points and the the healthcare, I’m leaning Los Sueños. I read that it is almost a year-round fishery. Best time to go for abundance of variety? Best time for sea state?
Best time is June -December , but they are available almost year round ..It's a little bumpy towards the end of the year , but nothing bad . It's like a lake most of the time .
pje is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:13 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Brunswick County, NC
Posts: 37
Default

Another vote for Los Suenos, for all the reasons mentioned above. Been there twice in the past two years. Fantastic all the way around.
Volleybum1970 likes this.
196YWHB is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 824
Default

PJE is right on. Los Suenos all the way. Book early for a good boat and crew.
Volleybum1970 likes this.
Hillsboro is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,065
Default

east cape of Cabo Sur. Third week in June to early July. Sea of Cortez. very calm. inexpensive place to fish Stripes, blues and black this time of year. Also plenty of big roosters available.
clamdog1 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:27 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 333
Default

Los Suenos is a great destination. I think PJE has his dates off though. Best fishing is generally considered November-June.
whichcraft is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 02:10 PM
  #16  
pje
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando , Fl
Posts: 2,340
Default

Originally Posted by whichcraft View Post
Los Suenos is a great destination. I think PJE has his dates off though. Best fishing is generally considered November-June.
No ..Not at all . The first few months of the year are always off . We usually do well with sails in March , we did get one blue this March , but the sails were hard to find . June -December is the time for numbers of marlin , they just aren't around the beginning of the year . It's usually slow compared to the rest of the year .
pje is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 06:18 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 266
Default

Here's one totally different: Prince Edward Island, Canada for giant bluefin tuna mid September to mid October, often just a few miles from the harbor. Northlake Charters or Bruce Brothers are top notch operations
OldBigBucks is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:04 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 163
Default

Pics and vids on this thread after it happens.
jtsnipe is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 332
Default

Will do. Los Sueños for sure. Likely Dec.*
Volleybum1970 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,945
Default

East Cape at Hotel Buena Vista middle of October. Stripes Sails tuna and roosters. They have their own fleet of boats, excellent food, They pick you up at the Cabo airport.
2dogs1949 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread