Notices
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By normsworld
  • 1 Post By TurdFerguson
  • 1 Post By barrell
  • 1 Post By mdees88
  • 1 Post By barrell

Ugly stik tigers for light trolling

Old 04-28-2019, 08:36 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 142
Default Ugly stik tigers for light trolling

I have a buddy I occasionally deckhand for and he uses extra heavy shimano trevala jig rods for light to medium trolling and live baiting. I love how light they are and I've been trying to figure out what rods I'm going to put my 4 squall 16vs on for my 23 cc panga. I have a 80-130 tiger lite 5'10" and have been trolling it to get a feel and I think it's a great alternative to the trevala. I'm down here in Mexico and try to stay away from too many expensive rods on the boat. I take customers out that have little to no experience and want to keep things simple.

What do you guys think about them for my application. Will they hold up and pair well with the squall 16vs? I'm running 65lb pp with 200ish topshot of 50-60lb diamond.

I'm mostly trolling for rooster, Toro (jack Crevalle), tuna 30-80lb, Bonita. I have 30's and 50's for marlin, bigger tuna, etc.





Surf_spearMex is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:02 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yorktown , Virginia
Posts: 361
Default

I think they are damn fine choices , but I am an amateur . I just had a good buddy accidentally snap a rod , so glad it was not a super expensive rod , would of sucked for both of us
Surf_spearMex likes this.
normsworld is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 142
Default

I have quite a few Japanese nano carbon sticks, some exotic popping rods some Stella's etc. And I do not hand those off to guests. Actually I find myself not taking some of my favorite gear out because I don't want to look like a dick standing next to them like they are holding my baby. So....I started going for cheaper gear that has quality behind it. These tiger lite rods are not fancy, or pretty on the boat to say the least but they are stout. I have slayed the mahi out here with mine and a few decent yft.

I am hoping for someone to chime in that has been trolling these things for a while. There is a chance a 70± lb rooster could grab onto one of these or a bigger tuna and I want to make sure I'll have a chance with it.
Surf_spearMex is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 01:36 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,094
Default

I've got four medium heavy's for bottom bouncing/jigging. We have caught some very large amber jacks on them. I think they'll work fine and have the same thought. Use them for trolling also.
FatCat1 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 03:14 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by normsworld View Post
I think they are damn fine choices , but I am an amateur . I just had a good buddy accidentally snap a rod , so glad it was not a super expensive rod , would of sucked for both of us
I snapped one as well with a 1/2 lb spadefish first use. Granted, it was in a rod holder being pulled almost straight down. But still, that fish should not have snapped that rod.
Surf_spearMex likes this.
TurdFerguson is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 05:19 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 5,043
Default

I have 7 of them all rated for jigging. Thats all we use for all methods of fishing.
Surf_spearMex likes this.
barrell is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 142
Default

Originally Posted by barrell View Post
I have 7 of them all rated for jigging. Thats all we use for all methods of fishing.

​​​​​​Nice, they really are not excellent at one technique but it seems like a lot of guys use them for all around duties. The snapping issue seems to be a misuse problem more than likely as all the stories I've heard have a special little twist at the end...it was in the rod holder or it was a bit of a high stick deal.

For $70 they are not bad but theres true stand up rods for a few bucks more with aluminum reel seat, aluminum gimble etc. Only reason I'm on the fence.
Surf_spearMex is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 06:10 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stapleton, AL
Posts: 2,693
Default

They're nice rods and I've owned about 7 of them over the last 4 years. They're prone to breaking from high sticking. You'll break 6" off the tip. Usually break 1 a year from guests and I'll just replace it under store warranty.

I now use star aerial XH jigging rods and much prefer them. I think either would work great for your application but I will only be using the stars from here on out.....

I use these rods primarily for bottom fishing, a good bit of jigging, and a little bit of trolling. If all I did was troll I would probably look into some kind of trolling rod....
Surf_spearMex likes this.
mdees88 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:30 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mandeville LA / Orange Beach AL
Posts: 3,644
Default

Originally Posted by mdees88 View Post
They're nice rods and I've owned about 7 of them over the last 4 years. They're prone to breaking from high sticking. You'll break 6" off the tip. Usually break 1 a year from guests and I'll just replace it under store warranty.

I now use star aerial XH jigging rods and much prefer them. I think either would work great for your application but I will only be using the stars from here on out.....

I use these rods primarily for bottom fishing, a good bit of jigging, and a little bit of trolling. If all I did was troll I would probably look into some kind of trolling rod....
Same as above for me.
I have Trevalas, Star Aerial, Penn Rampage, Penn Carnage & Tiger Lites (Some old style and some new with the silver guides)
I run small level wind reels Tekota 500 & 600's on the conventional stuff. 5000-6000 spinners on the spinning rigs. 65-80Lb Power pro.

I use mine to troll some but XH & XXH rods do not have much tip so for kings and such I back the drags on the reels down just a bit more.
H2OBUG is online now  
Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 5,043
Default

Originally Posted by Surf_spearMex View Post
​​​​​​Nice, they really are not excellent at one technique but it seems like a lot of guys use them for all around duties. The snapping issue seems to be a misuse problem more than likely as all the stories I've heard have a special little twist at the end...it was in the rod holder or it was a bit of a high stick deal.

For $70 they are not bad but theres true stand up rods for a few bucks more with aluminum reel seat, aluminum gimble etc. Only reason I'm on the fence.
If you want aluminum butts the Okuma Cedros are excel ant at about $120 https://www.okumafishing.com/en/prod...gging-rod.html I have five of them, all jigging and all carry Qauntum Cabo 100 and 120 series reels. This setup is very popular with blue fin tunas fishermen in the north east.
Surf_spearMex likes this.
barrell is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread