Notices

Loop on leader for swordfish weight

Old 04-14-2019, 06:14 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,749
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Loop on leader for swordfish weight

What is the best way to put a loop on a windon leader for a swordfish lead?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:35 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Venice, LA
Posts: 2,401
Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

I use 70lb waxed line. 2 inch loop with an inch of half hitches on each end. Finnish the half hitches with a reverse uni and keep the loop tight to the mono.
Likes:
Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Venice, LA
Posts: 2,401
Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts
Default


I’m sure there are better ways but this works
Old 04-14-2019, 07:19 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 1,644
Received 360 Likes on 184 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Akgoff4 View Post
What is the best way to put a loop on a windon leader for a swordfish lead?
I do a doubled 70lb waxed thread. Lots of different techniques but this is just what I do. Loop can be sized as preferred. I like it because nothing can slip and you will not contact the line.







Old 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 693
Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post
I do a doubled 70lb waxed thread. Lots of different techniques but this is just what I do. Loop can be sized as preferred. I like it because nothing can slip and you will not contact the line.




This is why I just gave up and buy your gear
Likes:
Old 04-14-2019, 06:44 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Podunk
Posts: 458
Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post
I do a doubled 70lb waxed thread. Lots of different techniques but this is just what I do. Loop can be sized as preferred. I like it because nothing can slip and you will not contact the line.



same loops I do when I make the leaders. .
Old 04-14-2019, 07:12 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,167
Received 1,383 Likes on 862 Posts
Default

We use a thing called 'powergum loops' to go into Blacks Clips on our trolling lines. They would work really well as loops for weights as well. Pretty quick and simple to tie. There are few videos on the net about tying them I think.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:47 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 1,644
Received 360 Likes on 184 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aliboy View Post
We use a thing called 'powergum loops' to go into Blacks Clips on our trolling lines. They would work really well as loops for weights as well. Pretty quick and simple to tie. There are few videos on the net about tying them I think.
Really interesting stuff. I can imagine many applications. Good share.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:43 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,167
Received 1,383 Likes on 862 Posts
Default

Power gum is actually some stretchy fishing line stuff that the English use on their coarse fishing poles. The long ones with no reels. I believe Capt Roddy Hayes (Legend Lures) came up with the idea and branded it Power Gum. These days you just order the coarse fishing stuff. Cheap as chips. We use it on our trolling lines as it will go through the rod guides without even noticing it. Once you have your lures initially set at the distance you want using rubber bands, you replace the rubber bands with power gum loops so you can quickly reset the lure into the correct position after playing a fish or having a knockdown. Do it at the beginning of the trip and colour code the rods for their positions and setting or resetting lures onto the correct waves etc couldn't be any easier. If conditions change and you want to shift the lures, the loops can be slid up and down the line quite easily, but won't shift under the pressure of towing a lure.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:59 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 360
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

I use a long line clip and a piece of telephone wire.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:54 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ellington, CT
Posts: 286
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Can someone post a link to a video on how to tie the double wax loop?
Likes:
Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 1,469
Received 105 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

you think that powergum will work on 100# braid? switched over to braid for Wahoo this year and I'm trying to figure out a good loop method for attaching to tag lines
Old 09-08-2019, 02:36 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,167
Received 1,383 Likes on 862 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lead Change View Post
you think that powergum will work on 100# braid? switched over to braid for Wahoo this year and I'm trying to figure out a good loop method for attaching to tag lines
Havent tried it on braid. Might need to add extra turns into the knots to stop it slipping?
Old 09-08-2019, 03:27 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Madeira Beach, Florida
Posts: 180
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TommyB89 View Post
Can someone post a link to a video on how to tie the double wax loop?
I would give Doug a call at Blue Action Tackle (Texasblue). He’s a wealth of swordfishing information and will walk you through it.
Likes:
Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 88
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post
I do a doubled 70lb waxed thread. Lots of different techniques but this is just what I do. Loop can be sized as preferred. I like it because nothing can slip and you will not contact the line.


any chance you want to share your secret on how to tie that?
Likes:
Old 09-09-2019, 06:29 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 1,644
Received 360 Likes on 184 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wingman23 View Post
any chance you want to share your secret on how to tie that?
No secret. Always happy to share. It's essentially starting with half-hitches followed by a several turn Uni rolled back on itself and then the loop back to starting point with half hitches and same Uni technique to finish.

Only thing I'd add is that some guys, depending on reel, like a lower profile loop. See below example of usual one I do now. This one is on a buoy rod wind-on leader.





Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,178
Received 81 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

The ones that I use from Texasblue .. never fail !
Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lower DE
Posts: 822
Received 196 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Yea just buy them from Texas blue. Done and done
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 AM
  #19  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,075
Received 406 Likes on 234 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post


No secret. Always happy to share. It's essentially starting with half-hitches followed by a several turn Uni rolled back on itself and then the loop back to starting point with half hitches and same Uni technique to finish.

Only thing I'd add is that some guys, depending on reel, like a lower profile loop. See below example of usual one I do now. This one is on a buoy rod wind-on leader.






Is that your buoy splice? I like the looks of it!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 1,644
Received 360 Likes on 184 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Copout@castaways View Post
Is that your buoy splice? I like the looks of it!
Yes, indeed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.