Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Buff Magic

Reply

Old 09-19-2017, 05:58 AM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

Capt. Sam,

I'm driving down to Jupiter next week. Do you take walk-in customers with an appointment?

I'll bring my credit card.

Ken
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:46 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
Capt. Sam,

I'm driving down to Jupiter next week. Do you take walk-in customers with an appointment?

I'll bring my credit card.

Ken
Unfortunately, we don't offer detailing for our customers. I don't think I'd have time for the SeaVee if we did!
CaptSamShurhold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 AM
  #43  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

Sorry that I was unclear. I'm just wanting to pick up the materials (Pads, Compounds...) you suggested.
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 AM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,644
Default

Go to West Marine and pick them up!
ESSRTEE8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
Sorry that I was unclear. I'm just wanting to pick up the materials (Pads, Compounds...) you suggested.
We could make that work. We're typically not a retail location, but if you call ahead with a phone order and pay, we could set it aside for office pickup. Just reference your from THT and that you spoke with me. Let me know!
CaptSamShurhold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM
  #46  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

Capt. Sam,

To get the hull sides done on my boat do you think this list is correct?

4Lb Jar Buff Magic
16 Oz Pro-Polish
(2) 7" Rotary Compounding Pads
7" Rotary Polish Pad
7" Brite Bonnet Pro Final Polish Pad

I'm assuming the pads will work with the standard hook and loop (velcro) backer I already have. My Backer is the "Hook" side. Just want to make sure you guys use the standard or I'll order your backer too.

Sorry to be so needy but I want to do this once and get it right. Let me know what you think and if you have additional suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks, Ken

Name:  2yltfkh.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  144.7 KB
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:58 PM
  #47  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
Capt. Sam,

To get the hull sides done on my boat do you think this list is correct?

4Lb Jar Buff Magic
16 Oz Pro-Polish
(2) 7" Rotary Compounding Pads
7" Rotary Polish Pad
7" Brite Bonnet Pro Final Polish Pad

I'm assuming the pads will work with the standard hook and loop (velcro) backer I already have. My Backer is the "Hook" side. Just want to make sure you guys use the standard or I'll order your backer too.

Sorry to be so needy but I want to do this once and get it right. Let me know what you think and if you have additional suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks, Ken
Your selection looks great, my only suggestion would be to add a Serious Pad Cleaner to the order. The idea is that if your pads get overloaded with dead gelcoat, then you can take a half day to wash and dry them.

Our pads are all hook and loop, so they should work with your setup. Feel free to bounce ideas off me, but it looks like you've got a project ahead of you! Good luck!
CaptSamShurhold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:36 AM
  #48  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

Will do on the pad cleaner. Thanks for the advise. I'll call my order in on Wednesday and pick it up Thursday.

Thanks, Ken
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:11 AM
  #49  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

Originally Posted by ESSRTEE8 View Post
Go to West Marine and pick them up!
My schedule for work got crazy so I figured this might be a good option. That and I have some of their reward certificates that I need to cash in.

While they can get most everything, they could not manage to get the 7" Pad Backer. It just was not in the system.

Since I want to get everything from one place I'm back to the original plan of ordering direct.
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:58 PM
  #50  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

Capt. Sam, The boat gets hauled out next week so I just ordered everything. I didn't see a spot for tracking where your customers are coming from so I'll you a PM with the order number.

Thanks, Ken
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 PM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
Capt. Sam, The boat gets hauled out next week so I just ordered everything. I didn't see a spot for tracking where your customers are coming from so I'll you a PM with the order number.

Thanks, Ken
Good stuff, thanks.
CaptSamShurhold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:02 PM
  #52  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
slper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 3,999
Default

You guys have a boat show special on this stuff? Shipping it? I can't make FLIB this year.
slper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:08 PM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by slper View Post
You guys have a boat show special on this stuff? Shipping it? I can't make FLIB this year.
Use the code THT10 on our online store for a 10% discount off a single order. This code will work through the end of the boat show. Officially releasing tomorrow, but it should be live now. Sorry you couldn't make the show!
CaptSamShurhold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:22 PM
  #54  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

Well crap. I should have waited six days on a $300 order. That's what I get for not waiting until the last minute.
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM
  #55  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middle River MD
Posts: 58
Default Capt sam

Do you think the 1.4lb jar is enough for top sides on a 20 ft center console?
UPPERbaycrabNfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 AM
  #56  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

My guess is yes. I've made two passes on the hull sides of the 40 footer pictured earlier in this post and we've used less than 2 lbs so far.

Do yourself a favor and get the pad cleaner too. My boat was heavily oxidized and the pads get dirty quickly. The pad cleaner gets them freshened up and back in action.

It looks like we will make a third pass with the Buff Magic and then polish.
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM
  #57  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middle River MD
Posts: 58
Default

Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
My guess is yes. I've made two passes on the hull sides of the 40 footer pictured earlier in this post and we've used less than 2 lbs so far.

Do yourself a favor and get the pad cleaner too. My boat was heavily oxidized and the pads get dirty quickly. The pad cleaner gets them freshened up and back in action.

It looks like we will make a third pass with the Buff Magic and then polish.
Thanks I will do that. Appreciate the help.
UPPERbaycrabNfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 AM
  #58  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by UPPERbaycrabNfish View Post
Thanks I will do that. Appreciate the help.
I'm sorry for not getting back to your question personally, I've been traveling out of the country for business and vacation and haven't made any time for the forum. Let me know if you have any other questions or ways I can help!
CaptSamShurhold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:22 AM
  #59  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Middle River MD
Posts: 58
Default

Originally Posted by CaptSamShurhold View Post
I'm sorry for not getting back to your question personally, I've been traveling out of the country for business and vacation and haven't made any time for the forum. Let me know if you have any other questions or ways I can help!
No problem at all I was in no rush. 40 degrees in Maryland I'm not exactly going out to buff the boat today.
UPPERbaycrabNfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 PM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL.
Posts: 295
Default

So far 3 passes (20 man hours of buffing) has gotten the hull sides of this 30 year old 40 foot boat done. The results are impressive. This photo was taken from 35 feet away but note the detail of the reflections from what looks like new gelcoat.

Name:  sp7m0g.png
Views: 239
Size:  251.1 KB
Docked Wage is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread