The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Outboard Specialities
Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Outboard Specialties
  • 2 Post By tripleplay1
  • 1 Post By mstyle8517
  • 1 Post By 305seahunter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Outboard Specialties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,396
Default 36 yellowfin repower from 350 Verado to 350 Suzuki's

We just finished this repower of a 36 Yellowfin going from triple 350 Verados to Triple 350 Suzuki's. The 0-30 hole shot dropped 2.5 sec and we gained 2 mph on the top end to see 66 MPH. I included a quote from the customer on his reaction and a pic of the old mercs as well which also had jack plates which were removed to install the new Suzuki's.

"Gettin her dialed in. Real world same load same fuel amount.
2mph faster than the Old 350ís. Fuel about the same as old motors. Slightly better, slightly worse at different RPMs, way better at wahoo trolling speeds. Boat runs flatter. Slow speed handling is ridicules, pivots, turns, stops on a dime. So much bite in the water.
Still playing with some props & heights, lets see if Mike & Mike at Outboard Specialties have any more tricks up their sleeves!!! @outboard_specialties"
Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 1253
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 1250
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  image3.jpeg
Views: 1251
Size:  119.9 KB

Name:  image4.jpeg
Views: 1247
Size:  100.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2060.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  103.2 KB
GWcpa and jabbo like this.
Outboard Specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: wrightsville beach nc
Posts: 1,216
Default

If those are Mirage plus on that setup with trips Vrods with new lowers thats the wrong prop setup for that boat. Looks good with those white engine.
tripleplay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #3
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Outboard Specialties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleplay1 View Post
If those are Mirage plus on that setup with trips Vrods with new lowers thats the wrong prop setup for that boat. Looks good with those white engine.
I'm not sure what props were on the mercs, but I know the customer tried multiple props before settling on these. Another set might have been faster top end but sacrificed elsewhere, I don't know. He is the type of guy that gets his rig dialed in, hence why he put the jack plates on too.
Outboard Specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: wrightsville beach nc
Posts: 1,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Specialties View Post
I'm not sure what props were on the mercs, but I know the customer tried multiple props before settling on these. Another set might have been faster top end but sacrificed elsewhere, I don't know. He is the type of guy that gets his rig dialed in, hence why he put the jack plates on too.
Tried that setup...actually a little faster on top with Mirage but did not hook up well midrange.
tripleplay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #5
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,073
Default

He was running Enertia Ecos on the 350 Vrods after playing with many props.

From my conversation with the boat owner who is a close friend, he is very happy with the switch - has me thinking my next boat might finally be the boat that I splurge and buy new engines for, especially if I can find a good repower candidate.
mstyle8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,330
Default

Those zukes look great on the back. I wish someone would put 3 on a 33t to see how it would perform
305seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Outboard Specialties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305seahunter View Post
Those zukes look great on the back. I wish someone would put 3 on a 33t to see how it would perform
I have twins going on a 35ST this week, not the same I know but give it time I'm sure I'll be doing a 33 at some point
Outboard Specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,330
Default

I'll be looking out for the twins on a 35st thread. That should be a sweet package
305seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 431
Default Nice!

Canít wait to see fuel burn numbers. My buddy has a 38í fountain with trip 300 pro xs optiís and he was thinking verado 350ís, but we fish with the boat heavy and thinking these might be the way to go. If you can PM me a ballpark on the trips with props and rigging, thanks.
Tino160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #10
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Outboard Specialties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305seahunter View Post
I'll be looking out for the twins on a 35st thread. That should be a sweet package
Here you go
https://www.thehulltruth.com/outboar...ecialties.html
Outboard Specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Specialties View Post
We just finished this repower of a 36 Yellowfin going from triple 350 Verados to Triple 350 Suzuki's. The 0-30 hole shot dropped 2.5 sec and we gained 2 mph on the top end to see 66 MPH. I included a quote from the customer on his reaction and a pic of the old mercs as well which also had jack plates which were removed to install the new Suzuki's.

"Gettin her dialed in. Real world same load same fuel amount.
2mph faster than the Old 350ís. Fuel about the same as old motors. Slightly better, slightly worse at different RPMs, way better at wahoo trolling speeds. Boat runs flatter. Slow speed handling is ridicules, pivots, turns, stops on a dime. So much bite in the water.
Still playing with some props & heights, lets see if Mike & Mike at Outboard Specialties have any more tricks up their sleeves!!! @outboard_specialties"
I've been looking to get a older boat running Triple Verado's and repower with new engines vs buying a newer boat. After reading this I finally found new performance reports from Mercury and Suzuki running a Wellcraft Scarab 35 with twin 350 Verado's with Enertia Eco vs 350 Suzuki with Conra-Rotating props. I was surprised to see they were almost equal in fuel efficiency, speed, and prop slip. Based on the press videos I expected higher numbers.
at 4000rpm the Verado 350 had 33.4mph/19.8gph/1.6mpg and 9% prop slip. The Suzuki 350 had 31.8mph/22.2gph/1.43mpg and 15% prop slip. At WOT the Verado 350 had 54.3mph/61.2gph/0.9mpg and 7% prop slip. The Suzuki 350 had 55.7mph/60.4gph/0.9mpg and 4% prop slip.

So this tells me there is no real gain going with Suzuki 350 over Verado 350 other than a few ride and handling improvements. I think the Verado 350 is looking like the better package because of its superior joystick piloting and Skyhook GPS anchor systems for fishing in high current compared to the 3rd party SeaStar Solutions system for the Suzuki. Plus the boat I'm looking at is already rigged for Verado's so would be a easy swap.
Versital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mobile, al
Posts: 747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versital View Post
I've been looking to get a older boat running Triple Verado's and repower with new engines vs buying a newer boat. After reading this I finally found new performance reports from Mercury and Suzuki running a Wellcraft Scarab 35 with twin 350 Verado's with Enertia Eco vs 350 Suzuki with Conra-Rotating props. I was surprised to see they were almost equal in fuel efficiency, speed, and prop slip. Based on the press videos I expected higher numbers.
at 4000rpm the Verado 350 had 33.4mph/19.8gph/1.6mpg and 9% prop slip. The Suzuki 350 had 31.8mph/22.2gph/1.43mpg and 15% prop slip. At WOT the Verado 350 had 54.3mph/61.2gph/0.9mpg and 7% prop slip. The Suzuki 350 had 55.7mph/60.4gph/0.9mpg and 4% prop slip.

So this tells me there is no real gain going with Suzuki 350 over Verado 350 other than a few ride and handling improvements. I think the Verado 350 is looking like the better package because of its superior joystick piloting and Skyhook GPS anchor systems for fishing in high current compared to the 3rd party SeaStar Solutions system for the Suzuki. Plus the boat I'm looking at is already rigged for Verado's so would be a easy swap.


What is your goal of posting this on the Suzuki sponsor thread?
tkramerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:15 AM   #13
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Outboard Specialties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,396
Default

I usually don't respond to these bickering threads but since it is in my forum I will.
Obviously I'm pro-suzuki but in the end it all comes down to self preference when it comes time to power a boat, you take all the research on different applications and find the best for you. In the repowers I personally have done taking 350 verados off and putting 350 suzuki's on, all the boats have been a little faster on the top end with suzuki. Fuel burn just depended on rpm, one was better at one rpm then the other was better at 500rpm more, so its basically a wash except at wahoo trolling speeds where the suzuki was much better. All customers have stated that the Suzuki's handle and drive the boat much better and are more responsive. In the end every boat is different and may be better suited with one motor or the other depending on what you are doing. The Suzuki does it with larger displacement and duo-prop while the merc does it with a super charger on a small displacement block.
I can say that all the skeptics that said duo-props are slower at top end are wrong, we've seen the proof now and the 350 duo-prop suzuki has been faster WOT then the mercs.
Outboard Specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #14
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Outboard Specialties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,396
Default

This Yellowfin owner is heavily involved in everything, he did all kinds of testing with the mercs including multiple props and jack plates and then did the same thing with the suzuki's testing all heights and what not. The numbers were based on best scenarios out of all the testing. This is why I like to compare same boat with different motors rather then compare to a completely different boat that could be way different. And for him it wasn't about spending money to go faster he just wanted the Suzuki's.

The freeman in question was seeing like 75-76mph when I was seatrialing it, but again 2 different boats that could be totally different weights and layouts. Either way we're talking minimal differences, my point was that the majority says duo-props are much slower at top end and only benefit at slow speeds.

Thank you and continued success to you guys as well. There is plenty of boats and motors to go around. Except maybe yamaha, not to many of them this year I guess from the rumors, lol.
Outboard Specialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.