Notices
Like Tree2Likes

27' eastern

Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 41
Default 27' eastern

Need some advice.
Looking at a 1999 27' Eastern lobster style boat. Asking 22,000 is that a fair price? Any pros and cons on that boat?
Engine is a 2014 mercruiser 357 magnum, including intermediate housing and Bravo III dual prop stern drive.
dbg1970 is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Merrimac River & North Port FL
Posts: 667
Default

Hello I had a 1999 for many years one of my all time favorite boats ran it out of the Merrimac river and it handled it fine. mine had a center engine with a jackshaft back to the out drive
with I am sure helped the ride . the price sounds fair if the condition is good a couple of things to look out for. the cabin sole was always wet the anchor locker did not have an overboard drain witch made me crazy, and watch out for weight on the cabin top, mine developed some spider cracks where the posts attached to the gunnel
best-of-luck
casco_schooner is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Merrimac River & North Port FL
Posts: 667
Default

Mine had a alpha 1 gen II outdrive mercrusier 305 which was plenty of power I ran comfortably at 20-22



Bonny June
casco_schooner is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:55 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 41
Default

Nice boat, so you own a Carver now? What year?
I have a 32 foot I am selling, love it but want more of a fishing boat as the family does not come out as much...
Where you from? I moor at Great Bay Marine in Newington NH
dbg1970 is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sharon, Ma.
Posts: 2,766
Default

DBG: That seems VERY FAIR as long as everything checks out okay. Eastern's are great boats. Do you know why the boat was repowered? Hopefully it was just mechanical and didn't run aground/sink. Is the boat on the hard now? Have you checked it out in person or just looking at pictures? Online pics can be deceiving....
South of Heaven is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:08 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: maine
Posts: 1,656
Default

Originally Posted by casco_schooner View Post
Hello I had a 1999 for many years one of my all time favorite boats ran it out of the Merrimac river and it handled it fine. mine had a center engine with a jackshaft back to the out drive
with I am sure helped the ride . the price sounds fair if the condition is good a couple of things to look out for. the cabin sole was always wet the anchor locker did not have an overboard drain witch made me crazy, and watch out for weight on the cabin top, mine developed some spider cracks where the posts attached to the gunnel
best-of-luck
i had a 1997,i liked it.i had a 5.7 efi with bravo II sterndrive.that drive is awesome.i agree with you on the anchor locker.also the roof is sandwich construction,
foam in the center.i know because i cut holes for my taco outriggers.she pounds some,but,with all my gear in the cabin she was a tank.i sold my,but i wish i had kept it.but towing it 230 miles to camp{moosehead lake}was'nt an option.
marcus220 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
DBG: That seems VERY FAIR as long as everything checks out okay. Eastern's are great boats. Do you know why the boat was repowered? Hopefully it was just mechanical and didn't run aground/sink. Is the boat on the hard now? Have you checked it out in person or just looking at pictures? Online pics can be deceiving....
Hi,
Yes I checked it out and had a survey done. Survey came out really good. Mechanical on the motor, did not run aground. It is on the hard but I will be taking it for a sea trial in the next few weeks. Anything I should look for during the trial? Other than the obvious that is?
dbg1970 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Merrimac River & North Port FL
Posts: 667
Default

Sold the Carver it was a 38' that I kept in the Merrimac, live in FL winters now so it is CC for me good luck with the boat send Pic's when you can
casco_schooner is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:46 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,195
Default

Eastern is a stand up company with good support.
fireisland1 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:47 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sharon, Ma.
Posts: 2,766
Default

Originally Posted by dbg1970 View Post
Hi,
Yes I checked it out and had a survey done. Survey came out really good. Mechanical on the motor, did not run aground. It is on the hard but I will be taking it for a sea trial in the next few weeks. Anything I should look for during the trial? Other than the obvious that is?
I'm in the same "boat" as you! I'm doing a land survey next week and then a sea trial/final survey as soon as the weather cooperates (mid March probably).

Well, I don't know about I/O's so I won't comment on them. Are you having any oil samples taken? Or an engine guy coming down to do an inspection on the sea trial? You may not think it's worth spending the extra $400-500 but it may save your bacon in the long run.

Good luck man! Hope you're excited. I definitely am for my new one. This is the perfect to buy too.....The ball is in our court.
South of Heaven is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
I'm in the same "boat" as you! I'm doing a land survey next week and then a sea trial/final survey as soon as the weather cooperates (mid March probably).

Well, I don't know about I/O's so I won't comment on them. Are you having any oil samples taken? Or an engine guy coming down to do an inspection on the sea trial? You may not think it's worth spending the extra $400-500 but it may save your bacon in the long run.

Good luck man! Hope you're excited. I definitely am for my new one. This is the perfect to buy too.....The ball is in our court.
Yes I am bringing a survey guy with me to do a compression test. Don't think I am going to check the oil. The engine is 2014 and has been professionally maintained.
dbg1970 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by casco_schooner View Post
Sold the Carver it was a 38' that I kept in the Merrimac, live in FL winters now so it is CC for me good luck with the boat send Pic's when you can



marcus220 likes this.
dbg1970 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:12 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: maine
Posts: 1,656
Default

Originally Posted by dbg1970 View Post

very nice.
marcus220 is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 07:08 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
rcdelude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: nh
Posts: 669
Default


1103091538
Fish out of a 1983 22' Eastern on Little/Great Bay. Great boat for all kinds of fun. built tough handles like a 14' runabout. I had to refit new deck and transom 10 years back, but she's solid for a 35 year old boat. Never thought about replacing the Jennifer Lynne, Looking forward to the 2019 season.
marcus220 likes this.
rcdelude is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 41
Default

Originally Posted by rcdelude View Post

1103091538
Fish out of a 1983 22' Eastern on Little/Great Bay. Great boat for all kinds of fun. built tough handles like a 14' runabout. I had to refit new deck and transom 10 years back, but she's solid for a 35 year old boat. Never thought about replacing the Jennifer Lynne, Looking forward to the 2019 season.
Nice boat!
I will be in that area fishing as well, maybe our paths will cross. boat name rusty scuppa. I moor at great bay marina. fish a lot in that area?
dbg1970 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:23 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Newburyport MA
Posts: 3,074
Default

Nice enough boats. Prefer the Parker for the wider beam....
Harpoon is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 01:38 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,195
Default



I run the bigger sister 31’ Casco Bay
fireisland1 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 01:58 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Falmouth, MA
Posts: 429
Default

Nice looking boat!
Paul T is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:08 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
rcdelude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: nh
Posts: 669
Default



Originally Posted by dbg1970 View Post
Nice boat!
I will be in that area fishing as well, maybe our paths will cross. boat name rusty scuppa. I moor at great bay marina. fish a lot in that area?
Fish 10 - 20 lob traps both sides of the G J Sullivan bridge (Newington) side, seaward of the Marina. Very productive area, but lose a lot of gear there between tide,rock and ledge and knife wielding striper fisherman. Sure to see you OTW!

Last edited by rcdelude; 02-16-2019 at 07:24 PM.
rcdelude is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
rcdelude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: nh
Posts: 669
Default

Originally Posted by rcdelude View Post



Fish 10 - 20 lob traps both sides of the G J Sullivan bridge (Newington) side, seaward of the Marina. Very productive area, but lose a lot of gear there between tide,rock and ledge and knife wielding striper fisherman. Sure to see you OTW!
Fish for linesides here.
rcdelude is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread