Notices

26 Novi information

Old 05-11-2018, 09:21 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 261
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 26 Novi information

Can anyone school me on a 26 Novi? My uncles sunk in his slip over 15 years ago and he has stored it inside ever since. I have no pictures yet but am wondering if this is a fully glassed hull and if its worth the effort to get her back at sea. I have not been able to find much info on this hull and was thinking someone here would. I know it had an outboard and would need new everything. My guess is that includes a deck and house. Will post pictures if I can get some.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Barnstable,Ma
Posts: 1,689
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

How long was it sunk? If was raised and allowed to dry out the deck may be fine. Why did it sink?
Old 05-13-2018, 10:42 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 273
Likes: 0
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Best place to go for info is Downeast forum. Not a lot of Novi style or downeast style on here.
Likes:
Old 05-13-2018, 11:23 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,711
Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Yeah Novi means Nova scotia-style and usually -made too. As far as I know there's no brand called Novi but I could be wrong. Novi boats are pretty similar to Downeast boats with some differences in hull shape mainly. They could be built of pretty much anything depending on the builder. The Downeast forum would be a good info source for you as was said.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 261
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info/advice I have applied for the forum and hope to hear back from the administrators soon. The boat was my grandfathers and it had a hydraulic pump mounted on top of the outboard. The boat sank after a record rainfall, the bilge pump went and the ass sank enough to let water in a compromised thru hull with a temporary plug. From what I gathered it only spent 12 or so hours with the ass in the mud but the bow stayed up. I think they might have gotten the engine to run but not 100% on that. I hope to get a look at the boat this week and try and find out who made the hull and what condition everything is in. Really hoping I can get her back on the water and fishing again which seems very likely after the talk with my uncle this weekend.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:52 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Falmouth
Posts: 3,880
Received 199 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

I'd love to see some pictures of it. I don't see much in the way of Novi discussions on any forum. This is mine:

Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 261
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
I'd love to see some pictures of it. I don't see much in the way of Novi discussions on any forum. This is mine:

That thing looks pretty sweet any more pictures? Is that a 26? What size motor do you have on it? any other details on the ride, economy etc would be much appreciated!
Likes:
Old 05-14-2018, 03:01 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Falmouth
Posts: 3,880
Received 199 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Not a 26. Just an 18. Biggest little boat ever. Has a 60 hp ETEC on the back. Cruises nice around 14 and tops out at 20. These pictures are four years old, but she looks the same.



Old 05-14-2018, 03:41 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,711
Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Cool boat Bill!
Likes:
Old 05-14-2018, 03:46 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,711
Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 26fsregcc View Post
Thanks for the info/advice I have applied for the forum and hope to hear back from the administrators soon. The boat was my grandfathers and it had a hydraulic pump mounted on top of the outboard. The boat sank after a record rainfall, the bilge pump went and the ass sank enough to let water in a compromised thru hull with a temporary plug. From what I gathered it only spent 12 or so hours with the ass in the mud but the bow stayed up. I think they might have gotten the engine to run but not 100% on that. I hope to get a look at the boat this week and try and find out who made the hull and what condition everything is in. Really hoping I can get her back on the water and fishing again which seems very likely after the talk with my uncle this weekend.
It does sound like it might be fine, good luck! Where would you run it? For that matter where do you run the Regulator? Just curious.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:58 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 261
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by icemang View Post
It does sound like it might be fine, good luck! Where would you run it? For that matter where do you run the Regulator? Just curious.
I run the regulator all over the cape and islands chasing bass/tuna since shes on a trailer. I dont have much planned for the novi yet since I really know anything about the boat but will likely keep her on a mooring on cape cod and keep some rec traps going. Thinking about setting her up for commercial bass and maybe put a few swivel rod holders on. I figure the novi might be better than the reg on exceptionally rough days but I am speaking from zero experience and the reg def does ok, what do you guys think about that? Would certainly be a fun cruising boat as well.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Costa Rica and Sardinia (Italy)
Posts: 2,329
Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts
Default

Well, send some pictures of yours, we are all curious about this NOVI.
However, as it was stored inside and sunk only for a day or so, the hull damage should be limited and easy to repair.
The outboard will be junk now, get rady to finde a good used one or pull the trigger for a new one.
You probably should rewire the whole boat, that is a rather easy job if you have a serious helper for pulling cables, wiggle them to identify, write down colors and coing from/going where, etc
Chris
Likes:
Old 05-14-2018, 04:22 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,711
Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 26fsregcc View Post
I run the regulator all over the cape and islands chasing bass/tuna since shes on a trailer. I dont have much planned for the novi yet since I really know anything about the boat but will likely keep her on a mooring on cape cod and keep some rec traps going. Thinking about setting her up for commercial bass and maybe put a few swivel rod holders on. I figure the novi might be better than the reg on exceptionally rough days but I am speaking from zero experience and the reg def does ok, what do you guys think about that? Would certainly be a fun cruising boat as well.
ha, I thought you might have the only Novi boat in the state of Wyoming! I guess you're in Wyoming RI?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:34 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 483
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

would prob be fine the hull, but everything electrical needs to be ripped out and started again from scratch, whatever motor was there is likely worthless unless a lot of care was taken to pickle it, good luck!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Falmouth
Posts: 3,880
Received 199 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

The Novi with an outboard (like mine) is a contradictory lay-out. The Novi's made to engage the sea with that knife edge bow. You don't take a choppy sea up on plane in Novi. The typical mid-engine inboard Novi design puts the weight midship and down low. This keeps that bow engaged and cutting through the chop, even at speed. With an outboard, you have shifted the weight to the rear and up high. This helps the boat plan on the rounded stern section of the hull. But you have to go slower in the chop if you want the hull to knife through rather than pound.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:51 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 261
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
The Novi with an outboard (like mine) is a contradictory lay-out. The Novi's made to engage the sea with that knife edge bow. You don't take a choppy sea up on plane in Novi. The typical mid-engine inboard Novi design puts the weight midship and down low. This keeps that bow engaged and cutting through the chop, even at speed. With an outboard, you have shifted the weight to the rear and up high. This helps the boat plan on the rounded stern section of the hull. But you have to go slower in the chop if you want the hull to knife through rather than pound.
Here's a potentially stupid question. Would it be worthwhile to make this an inboard or just strap an OB on and call it a day? I have the regulator to get up on plane and pound I would prefer a little battle wagon to knife through chop on less than ideal days. I have refitted quite a few boats so am not afraid of taking on a big project if its worthwhile. I am sure pictures would help allot hopefully I can get some pictures soon.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:22 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Falmouth
Posts: 3,880
Received 199 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

If you can get the old engine to run, I'd test it out and then decide. Is the transom cut for the outboard engine? Closing the transom would sure add to the project.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 261
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Finally got my eyes on her, she needs some love but can already tell shes going to be a beauty. Can anyone help me identify the hull? The full story is that her stern sank but was refloated in 4 hours or so and actually ran another season before her early retirement. I am going to spend some time looking at other restorations on here and DEBF but if anyone has some advice or opinions I am happy to hear them!







Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Are you sure that' a novi?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 261
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pauly1220 View Post
Are you sure that' a novi?
Not at all I just thought it was because that's what I was told, it looks like a downeast
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.