The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree46Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #1301
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodboy View Post
Sounds like my day yesterday, stubbornly worked pods east of inlet through east of ocean beach since thats what produced for me Saturday. No takers yesterday, shouldve jigged.
Found out later there was a good jig bite a bit se of me, a kid had a 58lb bass on a party boat.

BTW whats the construction dock?

We were SE of that crowd. Did well. Pretty sure we stopped right by you on our way home to see if there was anything happening there. We spend about 5 minutes before moving on.

Construction Dock is basically the back side of RM Field 2. A barge disintegrated there years ago, real sticky bottom and a well definted rip there as well. Holds fish at times but can be tough to fish at times due to guys on the rocks fishing.
Avid 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #1302
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid 24 View Post
We were SE of that crowd. Did well. Pretty sure we stopped right by you on our way home to see if there was anything happening there. We spend about 5 minutes before moving on.

Construction Dock is basically the back side of RM Field 2. A barge disintegrated there years ago, real sticky bottom and a well definted rip there as well. Holds fish at times but can be tough to fish at times due to guys on the rocks fishing.
So that would be just east of the rock pile then? I tried there a bit on my way back in, one other guy there and one guy on the rocks.

Tried the rips just east of the CG station too, had one hard run off that took my clam, not sure what it was.
Southbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #1303
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodboy View Post
Sounds like my day yesterday, stubbornly worked pods east of inlet through east of ocean beach since thats what produced for me Saturday. No takers yesterday, shouldve jigged.
Found out later there was a good jig bite a bit se of me, a kid had a 58lb bass on a party boat.

BTW whats the construction dock?
I saw that report about that bass, cool that it was a kid. That report also stated that 50 fares limited out, which means 100 keepers on jigs. If that is true, I really wish I burned the gas and went further east.
Southbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #1304
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,247
Default

I'll be the first to say it- the 58 should have been released. I get it was a lifetime fish, for a kid, but if at all possible, get her on board, quick weigh, a few pics, please try to let her swim away.

20-25 year old fish, female, stuffed and readying for winter and breeding.

I get that its not always possible, 100%. Maybe they tried, I don't know.

I watched a boat gaff fish after fish yesterday, no net. some bluefish in the mix but gaffing like crazy. Ugh.
Avid 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #1305
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 41
Default

Release the 58 lb fish and release the 50 others!!!! One fish is more than enough to enjoy for the family and to give out to friends. This is not deep up in Alaska living off the land where we need to stock pile fish in the freezer to survive the winter.

If your worried about your trophy for the gram or Facebook invest in a good Boga grip and tape measure, let them swim keep the smaller for the table. Props to the guys letting the big ones swim, fish karma.
nyscuba14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #1306
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 649
Default

I have to say that yesterday 11/12 was probably the most crowded day on the water I have ever seen! I could not believe how crowded it was. I was fishing between JI and ERI and it was wall to wall and common courtesy had definitely gone out the window. I cant believe so many people still have boats in the water. Normally by this time of year I am one of the few diehards out there that fish into December.
ICESA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #1307
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICESA View Post
I have to say that yesterday 11/12 was probably the most crowded day on the water I have ever seen! I could not believe how crowded it was. I was fishing between JI and ERI and it was wall to wall and common courtesy had definitely gone out the window. I cant believe so many people still have boats in the water. Normally by this time of year I am one of the few diehards out there that fish into December.
Agreed, I said the same thing. It felt like it was busier out there than a Saturday in July. I'm going to give it till Thanksgiving and a couple more trips, hopefully the crowds will shrink.
gokart25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #1308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: darkest side of Valhalla
Posts: 782
Default Apparently Monday is a school day

Says it all.. Minne mes blitzing all around fi inlet 21-26 on top,bottom to the side. Ran a bit east looking for fish of size but by the time I got East of OB decided the knees had enough so ran west again in around 40 didn't mark much so tagged a few more shorts and called it a morning as I have obligations. Was a lot of fun and hopefully those east fish should be right outside fi next week if the weather cooperates.
weaks4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #1309
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location:
Posts: 393
Default Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbay View Post
I saw that report about that bass, cool that it was a kid. That report also stated that 50 fares limited out, which means 100 keepers on jigs. If that is true, I really wish I burned the gas and went further east.
Not sure but isn't it one fish per man on charter and headboats?
offracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #1310
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 296
Default

Fished saturday and sunday as mentioned by many great weekend on the water plenty of fish on bunker, jigs and even mojos which was only my second time giving them a try and for the time being I have to say I was impressed. Thanks to kevin and vin who gave me a heads up on some of the hot bite.

Fished east of fire island inlet both days.
captchuck25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #1311
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offracing View Post
Not sure but isn't it one fish per man on charter and headboats?
Could be, I haven't been on one in years, but I thought it used to be a bag limit of 2 per person on head boats, could've changed.
Southbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #1312
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,247
Default

I am 99% that headboats and charters have the same one fish limit that rec's do.
Avid 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #1313
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 296
Default

One per person no matter the boat. The catch is the mate and captain count so on 6 pack boats there tends to be a few extra fish on display in the pics.
captchuck25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #1314
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: West Islip, NY
Posts: 433
Default

WHAT A DAY!. didn't bother going outside the inlet in the morning because of the chop. again.

We anchored in west bar then east bar. Bites but nothing. was going to call it a day. Driving back towards the inlet along cedar beach i told my father lets trawl for a bit and see if we get anything. Threw out 2 rods with a 6" bunker color deeo diver Offshore angler crankbaits. No sooner did we start going, BOOM! a rod went down and it was on. Didnt even really get a trawling speed established because everytime we started moving, BOOM! Another fish. In about an hour and fifteen minutes about 18 stripers all shorts between 21-27". Fun. They were shorts but it felt good catching this many stripers for the first time in my life in one day. Wow. definitely a day to remember.

Oh, and today i learned how to read a fish finder myself and distinguish where the fish were in the water column in accordance with where the bait was. we hit the target depth which was often just off the bottom we set the crankbaits to go just off the bottom. Just great we finished this season off with a bang!. Thanks Avid for those pointers as well yesterday.
viniadf likes this.
RYAN S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #1315
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: darkest side of Valhalla
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN S. View Post
WHAT A DAY!. didn't bother going outside the inlet in the morning because of the chop. again.

We anchored in west bar then east bar. Bites but nothing. was going to call it a day. Driving back towards the inlet along cedar beach i told my father lets trawl for a bit and see if we get anything. Threw out 2 rods with a 6" bunker color deeo diver Offshore angler crankbaits. No sooner did we start going, BOOM! a rod went down and it was on. Didnt even really get a trawling speed established because everytime we started moving, BOOM! Another fish. In about an hour and fifteen minutes about 18 stripers all shorts between 21-27". Fun. They were shorts but it felt good catching this many stripers for the first time in my life in one day. Wow. definitely a day to remember.

Oh, and today i learned how to read a fish finder myself and distinguish where the fish were in the water column in accordance with where the bait was. we hit the target depth which was often just off the bottom we set the crankbaits to go just off the bottom. Just great we finished this season off with a bang!. Thanks Avid for those pointers as well yesterday.
Good for you guys. Should have been out at sunrise the inlet was crawling with em tearing it up. As you said lot of fun, jmho but I'd give another week or so maybe get a blitz of bigger fish
If you can...I got a feeling the best days are just ahead. ( Then again it could rain frogs) OBW How's the ride all good?
weaks4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #1316
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: West Islip, NY
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaks4u View Post
Good for you guys. Should have been out at sunrise the inlet was crawling with em tearing it up. As you said lot of fun, jmho but I'd give another week or so maybe get a blitz of bigger fish
If you can...I got a feeling the best days are just ahead. ( Then again it could rain frogs) OBW How's the ride all good?
Boat is great. ran it for about 5 hours and only burned around 3 gallons of fuel!. This boat was such a good investment and although we had limited time on the water this entire season, what little time we did spend on it, it was memorable. Definitely looking forward to next season's spring run already!
RYAN S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #1317
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaks4u View Post
Good for you guys. Should have been out at sunrise the inlet was crawling with em tearing it up. As you said lot of fun, jmho but I'd give another week or so maybe get a blitz of bigger fish
If you can...I got a feeling the best days are just ahead. ( Then again it could rain frogs) OBW How's the ride all good?

I agree with you 100% - this was a good shot of fish, sparked largely but a cold snap that told the bait and the fish to get moving. The back bay is 48-49. The ocean is 53-54. You would not believe the bait leaving the bay on Saturday morning like they missed the bus.

I said it weeks ago. Maybe twice- it was still early. People were writing the fall run off. No way folks. Varying temps this week, bait will hang around, so will the bass.

The march of the rats is a few weeks out. Last year it was Thanksgiving, this year a week later I say.
Avid 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #1318
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN S. View Post
WHAT A DAY!. didn't bother going outside the inlet in the morning because of the chop. again.

We anchored in west bar then east bar. Bites but nothing. was going to call it a day. Driving back towards the inlet along cedar beach i told my father lets trawl for a bit and see if we get anything. Threw out 2 rods with a 6" bunker color deeo diver Offshore angler crankbaits. No sooner did we start going, BOOM! a rod went down and it was on. Didnt even really get a trawling speed established because everytime we started moving, BOOM! Another fish. In about an hour and fifteen minutes about 18 stripers all shorts between 21-27". Fun. They were shorts but it felt good catching this many stripers for the first time in my life in one day. Wow. definitely a day to remember.

Oh, and today i learned how to read a fish finder myself and distinguish where the fish were in the water column in accordance with where the bait was. we hit the target depth which was often just off the bottom we set the crankbaits to go just off the bottom. Just great we finished this season off with a bang!. Thanks Avid for those pointers as well yesterday.
Good for you and Congratuations... This is what fishing is all about.. Making Memories.. glad to see you and your dad out there... Again, Congrats on the boat and the great bite.
viniadf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #1319
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI,NY
Posts: 776
Default

Lots of school it's around inlet today, went as far as Ob and found small fish on jigs
gina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #1320
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 261
Default

My buddy and I fished EAST of Fire Island Inlet yesterday (Monday) and today, Monday was all out slamfest of proportions I've only had better one time. We bombed bass to 41-42 inches and the BIGGEST sort of bluefish to almost 18lbs on my boga from 8am to 2:30 in the afternoon when we finally surrendered.


Today we were down there again, same time and SAME results, only the bass were smaller to just over 30inches while the blues seemed to get LARGER!! And MORE of them. Bite was insanity till it dropped out dead around 10:30-11am. Good luck out there, time for some Advils!!!
Capt Paul
Maybe Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.