Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > Northeast
Reload this Page >

where and how to get scup/porgies/baitfish?

Notices

where and how to get scup/porgies/baitfish?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alureing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Never ENDING Cold Ct
Posts: 4,048
Default where and how to get scup/porgies/baitfish?

New to fishing and was wondering where and how to catch scup?? I am out of Niantic bay area, all i want to do is catch a striper!!!! What hooks/bait/area? I cant seem to catch anything at all!! The race is about the only spot I can catch fish. Please help the rookie, driving around all day is nice but I really want to CATCH A STRIPER. I use bucktail with a pork rine, three way, and 10 oz lead, three way live eels with a 7/0 circle hook, etc.... Catch a few blues and thats pretty much it, what am I doing wrong? Pm me? I need some help !! Thanks for those who share info. IM A ROOKIE !!

Last edited by Alureing; 06-25-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Alureing is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Falmouth
Posts: 3,852
Default

Scup are easy. I find them almost everywhere. Use sabiki rigs and tip the little hooks with bits of squid. Drop them to the bottom and wait a minute. I find them mostly around rocky areas and near navigational bouys.

Remember that you can only keep and use legal size scup. In Mass that is a 10 incher, I think. Not sure at all what it is in CT. I find the big scups are not very good striper bait. I don;t use them. If I were you, I'd go snag some pogies (menhadden). There are plenty of those in the inlets of CT.
Legal Bill is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alureing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Never ENDING Cold Ct
Posts: 4,048
Default

thanks Legal Bill!!
Alureing is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 1,514
Default

Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
If I were you, I'd go snag some pogies (menhadden). There are plenty of those in the inlets of CT.
Bill, is there anywhere in Mass, The Cape to be specific, to snag Menhadden?
KnottyDreams is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Falmouth
Posts: 3,852
Default

Yes, right in your bay. People catch pogies in Poppy most years. Go out early and you should see people trolling around looking for them. Watch the screen of your sonar. It will light up when you go over a school. You can also see them splash on the surface. They exhibit the same behavior at all stages of their development. They school in a circle and will occasionally "flash" their sides to the surface. They may not be in until later in July. In late July and august, the peanut bunker will bigger and more visible as well. Fishermen snag them and throw cast nets to catch them. They can be anywhere in Poppy. I've caught them way upriver from shoestring on one end and all the way to the entrance of New Seabury at the other. But they are not always there, so it can be hit or miss. I also know there are many pogies in Chatham most years, but who wants to go there just to get pogies?

These days, I just buy them fresh.
Legal Bill is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 1,514
Default

Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
Yes, right in your bay. People catch pogies in Poppy most years. Go out early and you should see people trolling around looking for them. Watch the screen of your sonar. It will light up when you go over a school. You can also see them splash on the surface. They exhibit the same behavior at all stages of their development. They school in a circle and will occasionally "flash" their sides to the surface. They may not be in until later in July. In late July and august, the peanut bunker will bigger and more visible as well. Fishermen snag them and throw cast nets to catch them. They can be anywhere in Poppy. I've caught them way upriver from shoestring on one end and all the way to the entrance of New Seabury at the other. But they are not always there, so it can be hit or miss. I also know there are many pogies in Chatham most years, but who wants to go there just to get pogies?

These days, I just buy them fresh.
Thanks Bill,

To be honest, I always thought they were herring, hence why i refrained from trying them out... Ill try it out
KnottyDreams is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 404
Default

Originally Posted by KnottyDreams View Post
Bill, is there anywhere in Mass, The Cape to be specific, to snag Menhadden?
Right where you keep your boat we use to gill net them before tuna trips. Look for the tell tale tail flips in low light hours. Also try Cotuit. They are already around...

In regards to scup buy the pre-tied scup rigs for $2 at any tackle store and use a 2 oz sinker. Squid works great and stays on the hook better than sea worms and is cheaper. When you have your scup take them to any reef or rockpile in 20-40' of water. Take kitchen scisors and cut off the dorsal fin (this will help a bass swallow the bait) and trim one of the pec fins by 50% (this will make the scup swim in an eratic circle). Use a bait runner or conventional gear and let the scup swim right to the bottom and crank him about 3-5' off the bottom (one or two turns of the reel depending on ratio). Scup live their entire lives within 1-2' of the bottom and cranking them off it a bit will make them struggle like hell to get back to their safety zone. Brace yourself for the bite when you feel the scup start to freak out and if the water is warm expect to lose a lot to bluefish. I like an 8/0 Circle hook with a 3' leader of at least 50 lbs fluro. A 36"+ fish has no problems eating a keeper sized scup.
rudeboy612 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal & Cape Cod
Posts: 101
Default

Hey rude boy, thats a very informative reply.... But how would you rig the scup? Through the back? Thanks for the info - arnaldo.
arnaldo is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vineyard Sound
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by arnaldo View Post
Hey rude boy, thats a very informative reply.... But how would you rig the scup? Through the back? Thanks for the info - arnaldo.
6/0 or 7/0 in through bottom of jaw, out nostril. let the bait swim toward you straight on. dorsal rigging or tail rigging will result in mung covering it up. deadly.
Cape Fisherman is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 404
Default

i pull down the upper lip and hook them through this soft flesh that this exposes. when you pull the lip down, hook the scup, the lip comes back up and pinches the hook helping to hold it in place. make sure you don't go bottom jaw-upper lip as scup with their small mouths will often drown on the hook not being able to open their mouths. i also dont use sinkers; scup's instinct are to swim right to the bottom. fish them around a slack tide when you can stay incontact with the bait better. when the tide is ripping i opt for other fishing optiong. scup have caught me some of my biggest bass in and around buzzards bay and the elizabeths.
rudeboy612 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal & Cape Cod
Posts: 101
Default

Thanks for the answers gentleman.
arnaldo is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vineyard Sound
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by rudeboy612 View Post
make sure you don't go bottom jaw-upper lip as scup with their small mouths will often drown on the hook not being able to open their mouths. i also dont use sinkers; scup's instinct are to swim right to the bottom. fish them around a slack tide when you can stay incontact with the bait better. when the tide is ripping i opt for other fishing optiong. scup have caught me some of my biggest bass in and around buzzards bay and the elizabeths.
im not disagreeing your method works, ive fished this way as well, but i've never had a problem with in the bottom, out the top. i also use a fish finder slider, 2-4 oz, any tide. my scup usually dont swim for more than 10 mins before getting inhaled. but, i dont drop them until i mark 'em on my numbers.
Cape Fisherman is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Alureing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Never ENDING Cold Ct
Posts: 4,048
Default

good info!! thank you all
Alureing is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 404
Default

Originally Posted by Cape Fisherman View Post
im not disagreeing your method works, ive fished this way as well, but i've never had a problem with in the bottom, out the top. i also use a fish finder slider, 2-4 oz, any tide. my scup usually dont swim for more than 10 mins before getting inhaled. but, i dont drop them until i mark 'em on my numbers.
Absoutly; we do the same don't drop until we mark. I've also hooked baits like you do and have also used fishfinder/egg sinkers (i wasn't disagreeing, just didn't read your post). Like all anglers everyone has their own style. Catch em up!
rudeboy612 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Falmouth
Posts: 3,852
Default

When I caught bass on a scup I used a weight to keep the little guy pinned down. when I free style them, I get nothing. I never got a hit on a 10 inch scup, but I'll keep trying.
Legal Bill is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:50 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Plymouth Ma.
Posts: 8,037
Default

Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
When I caught bass on a scup I used a weight to keep the little guy pinned down. when I free style them, I get nothing. I never got a hit on a 10 inch scup, but I'll keep trying.
Big bait big fish!
CMEBoston is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread