The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MAINE and N.Y.
Posts: 2,767
Default Maine shrimp

They always find a reason the numbers are going down except over fishing .
These things were 75 cents a pound a few years ago .


http://www.pressherald.com/news/Gulf...to-a-bust.html
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
They always find a reason the numbers are going down except over fishing .
These things were 75 cents a pound a few years ago .


http://www.pressherald.com/news/Gulf...to-a-bust.html
X2
rrboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Shrimp goes from 99 cents to 12 dollars a lb and people don't even buy those. Lobster hasn't been that high in years!

If you can't read,,, over fishing would be a great excuse to blame a poor catch. We probably don't even know the half of it. Lets guess the typical things that are typically included in regulations, They can't fish where they use to, How about they can't go catch shrimp where the shrimp are, They can't keep the same sizes they use too ( you guys probably can't figure out why that is a major reason) They may even have holes in the shrimp traps that let most the shrimp out! Then they make tougher regs because the catch drops off... what did they think would happen????????????
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MAINE and N.Y.
Posts: 2,767
Default

Again you have NO clue they were draggin in the same area as they have been forever .
OVERFISHING OVERFISHING OVERFISHING
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
Again you have NO clue they were draggin in the same area as they have been forever .
OVERFISHING OVERFISHING OVERFISHING
Again , you can't comprehend what you read,,,,, for starters.. the article doesn't say where they were fishing. I wrote we probably don't even know.. That would mean it is a unknown, not facts. The article states ", most likely due to warming ocean temperatures." It says nothing about over fishing.

I am a believer in cycles as the more experience fishermen told me about 40 years ago.

From the article, "The season is on course for the smallest harvest in more than 30 years, and possibly since 1978". Coincidental???? This just happens to be the years of the blizzard of 2013 which was a equal to the blizzard of 1978 out in the ocean. The 2013 blizzard was worse for the time duration.

There is really no such thing as over fishing. You can put every dragger from the United States and have them drag every day for 2 years where there are no shrimp and they won't catch anything. The same as if you put 10 boats on top of all the shrimp , those 10 boats can come back loaded if they were allowed to fish how they need too and keep what they catch.

This is a industry and the guys are supposed to make money at it. Not be a hobby......If they can't make money at it they can't go do what it takes to go catch. No regulations needed. The economics of it is self fore filling.
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Madbury NH
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post

From the article, "The season is on course for the smallest harvest in more than 30 years, and possibly since 1978". Coincidental???? This just happens to be the years of the blizzard of 2013 which was a equal to the blizzard of 1978 out in the ocean. The 2013 blizzard was worse for the time duration.

Just an FYI, the fishing sucked before and after the hurricane.....

All the shimp I saw that were harvested were egg laden. If someone was smart enough to understand fishing during the spawning season does not do much for repoduction then you get what you get. You would think taking a few samples to determine if the eggs have dropped wouldn't so difficult to open the season after fact but apparently it is too hard to get out from behind a desk and check it out.....
cobiamoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Plymouth Ma.
Posts: 7,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
Again , you can't comprehend what you read,,,,, for starters.. the article doesn't say where they were fishing. I wrote we probably don't even know.. That would mean it is a unknown, not facts. The article states ", most likely due to warming ocean temperatures." It says nothing about over fishing.

I am a believer in cycles as the more experience fishermen told me about 40 years ago.

From the article, "The season is on course for the smallest harvest in more than 30 years, and possibly since 1978". Coincidental???? This just happens to be the years of the blizzard of 2013 which was a equal to the blizzard of 1978 out in the ocean. The 2013 blizzard was worse for the time duration.

There is really no such thing as over fishing. You can put every dragger from the United States and have them drag every day for 2 years where there are no shrimp and they won't catch anything. The same as if you put 10 boats on top of all the shrimp , those 10 boats can come back loaded if they were allowed to fish how they need too and keep what they catch.

This is a industry and the guys are supposed to make money at it. Not be a hobby......If they can't make money at it they can't go do what it takes to go catch. No regulations needed. The economics of it is self fore filling.
#1, master of the obvious...... or oblivious I dunno...

#2, if you cant cut it fishing all I can say is the world needs ditch diggers too.....
CMEBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MAINE and N.Y.
Posts: 2,767
Default

I have some friends that have been shrimpin for many years , there is no secret as to where they are going to be they know , they have been overfished .
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEBoston View Post
#1, master of the obvious...... or oblivious I dunno...

#2, if you cant cut it fishing all I can say is the world needs ditch diggers too.....
I don't fish for shrimp. Never have.
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
I have some friends that have been shrimpin for many years , there is no secret as to where they are going to be they know , they have been overfished .
So.. if they were over fished last time a major blizzaed hit the coast and they are over fished this time a major blizzard ,,,, Maybe there is a cycle or do you think it is just coincidental ? Maybe overfishing causes Blizzards?
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobiamoby View Post
Just an FYI, the fishing sucked before and after the hurricane.....

All the shimp I saw that were harvested were egg laden. If someone was smart enough to understand fishing during the spawning season does not do much for repoduction then you get what you get. You would think taking a few samples to determine if the eggs have dropped wouldn't so difficult to open the season after fact but apparently it is too hard to get out from behind a desk and check it out.....
So after the blizzard of 78 which was the last time there was overfishing, did they stop harvesting shrimp during spawning each year until they started getting banner catches again? Or did they just continue to fish like they always did and each year they just kept catching more and more until the cycle peaked? Then they changed nothing and the catch dropped off until there was something that looked like the bottom of the cycle? You don't need regs. If the fishermen can't make money doing it or lose money doing it... they probably will cut back or put themselves out of business.
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Madbury NH
Posts: 293
Default

Tell me how that worked out for the passenger pigeon?? do you think the Cod fish have cycles too? I used to catch all the flounder I wanted in Great Bay. I am at 20+ years on that cycle to come around. The first year they placed regulations on Cod limits the flounder dissapeard along with the skate. Is that a coincidence or another hurricane?? Go sit in the truck for christ sakes....
cobiamoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobiamoby View Post
Tell me how that worked out for the passenger pigeon?? do you think the Cod fish have cycles too? I used to catch all the flounder I wanted in Great Bay. I am at 20+ years on that cycle to come around. The first year they placed regulations on Cod limits the flounder dissapeard along with the skate. Is that a coincidence or another hurricane?? Go sit in the truck for christ sakes....
I wasn't allowed to alter my fishing effort as fishermen before me were allowed to .Therefore, I don't know a heck of a lot about cod fish or flownder on a commercial basis. I still catch what I always caught in the pots. Some years there are a few more and some years there are a few less. I would contribute what you aren't catching to pollution, preditors and migration.

Polution reduces the reproduction rate, preditors such as strippers eat small cod at a rate that desimates the stocks since they don't abide by regulations, and migration. If you never heard that things in the wild can move in advance of weather long before man can figure it out,, there are many fishermen that can tell you they do. All you have to do is read what the species is telling you. If there were no shrimp or cod due to warm water, blame the warm water forcing them to leave, not over fishing. Somebody some place slammed them because of it. If they were allowed to or could afford to.

If you are waiting 20 years on the return of fish and it hasn't happened after all the regs that were put in place,, maybe the regs didn't do anything but waste your time.

Last edited by lobstercatcher; 03-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MAINE and N.Y.
Posts: 2,767
Default

Trying to debate an issue with somthing with the brain of a clam is useless .
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
Trying to debate an issue with somthing with the brain of a clam is useless .
Yes, I see you really can't come up with a reasonable aspect to support your standings. It is obvious that some species have responded and rebounded due to regulations. We have plenty of seals and stripers. With that known, we should remove those regulations on those and see if everything else rebounds at a greater rate. Since it is known that they can rebound at a fast rate , there is a renewable rebound if no results develope.

i hope you don't mind I supported my side and helped you with your side since you can't figure anything out for yourself..
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MAINE and N.Y.
Posts: 2,767
Default

I made my point shrimp along with everything else has been over fished
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
I made my point shrimp along with everything else has been over fished
Well then you are fooling yourself. There are things out there that come and go in cycles that nobody even fishes for. How do you explain those species rise and fall in population?

There has to be 200 square miles of easy access ocean out in front of my harbor that I am unaware of anyone ever shrimping in other than a few test traps every 10 years or so. The shrimp seam to come and go depending on the year. They never get too big and always look to small to even bother with. why didn't they get to a desirable size after forty years of "no" harvesting effort? Where clearly in Maine there has been a few cycles in the same time period with a harvesting effort? Sea Urchins are not How come they aren't knee deep on the bottom ??? Scallops? Those are suppose to be all over the place. Oysters have never been harvest here??? Why do I smell chlorine out there and have stuff come up dead or have whole areas have most of the species just disappear over night?

I'd really be interested in hearing your version of how little to no fishing effort over the past 40ish years equates to over fishing. Just because you can't catch a fish doesn't mean there aren't fish out there. For commercial guys, Someone always use to catch fish . They were allowed to do what it takes. Now they aren't. So you can't use commercial landings as a measuring stick of what is out there.

Last edited by lobstercatcher; 03-16-2013 at 06:54 AM.
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: kittery,maine
Posts: 1,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
Well then you are fooling yourself. There are things out there that come and go in cycles that nobody even fishes for. How do you explain those species rise and fall in population?

There has to be 200 square miles of easy access ocean out in front of my harbor that I am unaware of anyone ever shrimping in other than a few test traps every 10 years or so. The shrimp seam to come and go depending on the year. They never get too big and always look to small to even bother with. why didn't they get to a desirable size after forty years of "no" harvesting effort? Where clearly in Maine there has been a few cycles in the same time period with a harvesting effort? Sea Urchins are not How come they aren't knee deep on the bottom ??? Scallops? Those are suppose to be all over the place. Oysters have never been harvest here??? Why do I smell chlorine out there and have stuff come up dead or have whole areas have most of the species just disappear over night?

I'd really be interested in hearing your version of how little to no fishing effort over the past 40ish years equates to over fishing. Just because you can't catch a fish doesn't mean there aren't fish out there. For commercial guys, Someone always use to catch fish . They were allowed to do what it takes. Now they aren't. So you can't use commercial landings as a measuring stick of what is out there.
the biologist{nmrs}are generally the first to cry overfishing,but yet they say its higher water temperature.look what it did to the lobsters last year,it started the shed early.maybe theirs something to it.
marcus220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus220 View Post
the biologist{nmrs}are generally the first to cry overfishing,but yet they say its higher water temperature.look what it did to the lobsters last year,it started the shed early.maybe theirs something to it.
Yes , I caught new shell every month last year, something that hasn't happened here in 65 years.. But it has happened before.
lobstercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Auburn, NH
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y'sguy View Post
Trying to debate an issue with somthing with the brain of a clam is useless .
2x
codman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.