The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So. NH
Posts: 410
Question Registering a "Gift" boat in MA

I'm going to the Boston soon to register a boat that was given as a gift. I have a notarized Deed of Gift from the previous owner.

What can I expect from them, as far as Sales Tax goes? Are there any state forms that I should get ahead of time?

Thanks in Advance,
Hollowpoint44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Plymouth Ma.
Posts: 7,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowpoint44 View Post
I'm going to the Boston soon to register a boat that was given as a gift. I have a notarized Deed of Gift from the previous owner.

What can I expect from them, as far as Sales Tax goes? Are there any state forms that I should get ahead of time?

Thanks in Advance,
Put down zero for a sales amount and you pay zero sales tax. It's your town that will asses a value and charge exise tax to keep it in your driveway, or anywhere for that matter.
CMEBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So. NH
Posts: 410
Default

Thanks,

I'm a NH resident. I just keep it in a slip near my work, much more convenient for sneaking out early

So, will the town where the marina is, hit me for any tax?
Hollowpoint44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bass River & Boston
Posts: 2,653
Default

Why don't you just register the boat in NH?
Tbrodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South River
Posts: 791
Default

Gift is tricky unless it's a close relative.
southshoredrydock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Beverly, MA
Posts: 1,288
Default

Below is the rule. If the previous owner paid MA sales tax or use tax your all set. If not, you will be paying something based on it value.


Gifts:
Provided that the transferor previously paid any applicable Massachusetts sales or use tax, the transfer of complete ownership of a motor vehicle, trailer, or other vehicle by a donor to a donee, without consideration and with an intent on the part of the donor that the transfer is a gift, is exempt from the sales and use tax. In order for this exemption to apply, all of the following must be true:
  1. neither party made or received payment in any form in connection with the transfer;
  2. neither party made a promise of payment for the vehicle, and neither party expects payment in the future;
  3. neither party assumed any debt in connection with the transfer; and
  4. at the time of the transfer, the donor intended to make a gift of the vehicle to the donee.
In order to claim this exemption, a properly completed and signed Form MVU-24, Affidavit in Support of a Claim for Exemption from Sales or Use Tax for a Motor Vehicle Transferred as a Gift must be presented to the Registry of Motor Vehicles together with Form RMV-1, Application for Title and Registration.
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowpoint44 View Post
I'm going to the Boston soon to register a boat that was given as a gift. I have a notarized Deed of Gift from the previous owner.

What can I expect from them, as far as Sales Tax goes? Are there any state forms that I should get ahead of time?

Thanks in Advance,
I think you'll still need to pay the title fee of $75, and possibly another $25 for registration. If it's anything like a car, the gift must be given by a direct family member to get you out of paying sales tax (brother, sister, mother, dad, husband, wife, daughter, son).

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/reg3.htm
Ronn Burgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Plymouth Ma.
Posts: 7,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzima View Post
I think you'll still need to pay the title fee of $75, and possibly another $25 for registration. If it's anything like a car, the gift must be given by a direct family member to get you out of paying sales tax (brother, sister, mother, dad, husband, wife, daughter, son).

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/reg3.htm
My Rampage was "given" to me by a close friend....I put $100 down as the sale price because I was worried if I put gift they would "asses" a value. The guy at the Hyaniss office told me if I put zero i would not have to pay sales tax, but since I put 100 down I had to cut a check for $6.25 so if its a gift put zero on the title for a sale price.

I still had to pay for a title, I transferred the registration from my Formula and IIRC it was free.
CMEBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEBoston View Post
My Rampage was "given" to me by a close friend....I put $100 down as the sale price because I was worried if I put gift they would "asses" a value. The guy at the Hyaniss office told me if I put zero i would not have to pay sales tax, but since I put 100 down I had to cut a check for $6.25 so if its a gift put zero on the title for a sale price.

I still had to pay for a title, I transferred the registration from my Formula and IIRC it was free.
Really? That's sweet.

I'm going to be trading my Expedition for a waverunner. How do you think I should handle that re: the state?
Ronn Burgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.