Notices
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mmerriman
  • 1 Post By Door#3

Merrimack River No Wake Zones

Old 11-05-2019, 04:56 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Default Merrimack River No Wake Zones

For those familiar with the area I found the number fo no-wake violations this year staggering. Every time I cruised up and down the river I witnessed boaters up on plane in no wake zones...here is a video I took as an example:

I am slipped up river in Amesbury and despite the efforts of fellow dock mates to slow people down as they cruised past the marina nothing could be done. It's amazing how much ingorance or "I don't give a &*^$#'" exists out there.
radiocontester is offline  
Old 11-05-2019, 05:30 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,368
Default

previous thread: Merrimack River No Wake Zones (not just Newburyport)

i think this time of year people blow through no wake zones because they know there is likely no enforcement as many towns have seasonal marine PD that tail off or end after LDW
mystery is online now  
Old 11-05-2019, 05:36 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
previous thread: Merrimack River No Wake Zones (not just Newburyport)

i think this time of year people blow through no wake zones because they know there is likely no enforcement as many towns have seasonal marine PD that tail off or end after LDW
Thanks for the link...that's an old thread....8 years later and the problem persists. Agree on this time of year behavior...
radiocontester is offline  
Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 2,468
Default

Glad I spent 5 minutes watching a video so I could see someone pass you at speed for 3 seconds!

The no wake zones are not marked terribly well as you go up river. There's also some that people have put out themselves and are not official markers. It's been like this for quite a while. Massachusetts doesn't require any kind of training for a person to operate a boat so this should not really be a surprise. I hate getting waked out in the river like everybody. If people used common sense they would know in areas of docks and marinas to slow down, but common sense can often be uncommon! The bigger problem is at the mouth. When people don't know what they are doing there, it's a much more serious situation.
Zardoz is offline  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:08 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Default

Yikes...sorry it was so painful to watch...I did put a time stamp in the comment for quick access to the segment.

Agree on all points.....lack of common sense and/or ignorance can turn a good day on the water into a nightmare for those impacted. The mouth is out of control on a busy weekend......the drifters in the middle of the channel make it that much more interesting.
radiocontester is offline  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:51 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Manchester, NH USA
Posts: 3,619
Default

I have an outside slip in Newburyport. We call them wake pirates :-)
Door#3 is online now  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by Door#3 View Post
I have an outside slip in Newburyport. We call them wake pirates :-)
I am new to the river this year and was wondering about you guys.....you must really get rocked. I'm up the river in Amesbury and I think we are spoiled with how calm it is most of the time which is why it's so dramatic when someone cruises by the marina up on plane.

I was thinking about moving down river to get closer to the action but after seeing how busy it gets, and the amount of wakes generated in no wake zones, I'm thinking otherwise. The convenience to open ocean is a huge benefit though....
radiocontester is offline  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:06 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 188
Default

Originally Posted by radiocontester View Post
I am new to the river this year and was wondering about you guys.....you must really get rocked. I'm up the river in Amesbury and I think we are spoiled with how calm it is most of the time which is why it's so dramatic when someone cruises by the marina up on plane.

I was thinking about moving down river to get closer to the action but after seeing how busy it gets, and the amount of wakes generated in no wake zones, I'm thinking otherwise. The convenience to open ocean is a huge benefit though....
no worries - you'll get waked up there also. I'm up near Rocks Village Bridge and the wakes I see are outrageous. There's basically no enforcement past salisbury and newburyport so people open it up - the law be damned.
mmerriman is offline  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 188
Default

Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Glad I spent 5 minutes watching a video so I could see someone pass you at speed for 3 seconds!

The no wake zones are not marked terribly well as you go up river. There's also some that people have put out themselves and are not official markers. It's been like this for quite a while. Massachusetts doesn't require any kind of training for a person to operate a boat so this should not really be a surprise. I hate getting waked out in the river like everybody. If people used common sense they would know in areas of docks and marinas to slow down, but common sense can often be uncommon! The bigger problem is at the mouth. When people don't know what they are doing there, it's a much more serious situation.
lack of markings doesn't mean you don't have to follow the law. and I agree that training is needed, but NH requires it and I see many boaters from NH ignoring the no wake restrictions.
Zardoz likes this.
mmerriman is offline  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:20 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Manchester, NH USA
Posts: 3,619
Default

Originally Posted by radiocontester View Post
I am new to the river this year and was wondering about you guys.....you must really get rocked. I'm up the river in Amesbury and I think we are spoiled with how calm it is most of the time which is why it's so dramatic when someone cruises by the marina up on plane.

I was thinking about moving down river to get closer to the action but after seeing how busy it gets, and the amount of wakes generated in no wake zones, I'm thinking otherwise. The convenience to open ocean is a huge benefit though....
It doesn't really bother me much. I'm on the boat to have fun so I don't let it bother me.
Zardoz likes this.
Door#3 is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread