Notices

Navigating Moriches Bay

Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Navigating Moriches Bay

Hi Guys,

In a few weeks I am going to be moving a boat from Greenport to Bay Shore that draws 3' of water. I am thinking about staying inland however I am concerned running through Moriches Bay since I haven't gone through there in several years.

Is Moriches Bay currently well marked and should I be concerned traveling through it?

Thanks,

Pat
Old 10-10-2019, 01:50 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 7,279
Received 1,440 Likes on 765 Posts
Default

Should not be an issue.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:41 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: East Moriches, NY
Posts: 229
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PatrickPresti View Post
Hi Guys,

In a few weeks I am going to be moving a boat from Greenport to Bay Shore that draws 3' of water. I am thinking about staying inland however I am concerned running through Moriches Bay since I haven't gone through there in several years.

Is Moriches Bay currently well marked and should I be concerned traveling through it?

Thanks,

Pat
The channel was dredged last winter and should still be pretty good. You may want to call the local SeaTow or BoatUS to see if they have any transit advice.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:42 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by maschked View Post
The channel was dredged last winter and should still be pretty good. You may want to call the local SeaTow or BoatUS to see if they have any transit advice.
Thanks for the information. I know they dredged the inlet and channel this year. The only reason I asked is because the most current chart is from 2018 and it still shows the danger buoys to the section of channel just north of the inlet.

Pat
​​
Old 10-10-2019, 05:58 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: East Moriches, NY
Posts: 229
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

I've run from the CG station West about a month ago and it was in good shape and properly buoyed. I haven't run east to Westhampton, but I've been told that's fine too. But sometimes a little local advice, like, "keep real tight to buoy XX until you're past YY" can go a long way.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:20 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,895
Received 2,392 Likes on 1,730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PatrickPresti View Post
Thanks for the information. I know they dredged the inlet and channel this year. The only reason I asked is because the most current chart is from 2018 and it still shows the danger buoys to the section of channel just north of the inlet.

Pat
​​
chart is a reference point. in areas where USACE maintains buoys, id probably rely on the buoys more than the chart... and i'd also use visual observation of the water etc to look for shallows. there was a big thread on moriches. search for it.

Last edited by mystery; 10-10-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:40 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,791
Received 802 Likes on 488 Posts
Default

I would run outside personally unless your boat or the weather does not allow it. Less stress and a nice ride along the beach.
Likes:
Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Center Moriches, NY
Posts: 539
Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Theres no problem navigating the channel since last years dredging. The buoys are tight and an easy read. Most pucker points are still at least 5 feet of water. I've been through that area 50 times this summer.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:47 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Low tide you wont have a problem with a airboat lol. Go at high hide and pay attention it will wont be a issue.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:20 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 455
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Avid 24 View Post
I would run outside personally unless your boat or the weather does not allow it. Less stress and a nice ride along the beach.
Normally I would run the boat outside but since it's a new used boat, I would rather keep her inland until I shake her down for a little bit...
Old 10-11-2019, 03:51 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 229
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Aim for higher tide when you are running between Hampton bays through Westhampton and should be fine.
Be aware the buoys flip after ponquogue bridge and it's GREEN, right, return instead of red, right, return. Not sure where it switches back, something to do with intra coastal.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:32 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,084
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Great advice given out, good luck with your trip. Let us know how it goes. If you do run the ocean be aware of large ground swells from offshore storms that can occur this time of year. An ebb tide with a large swell will make the inlets hazardous.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:43 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Center Moriches, NY
Posts: 539
Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Right now, the inlet is much more hazardous than an inland trip. Sandbars on the ocean side are causing large breakers on outgoing tides. At low tide out in front, wave troughs can be 2'-3' water depth.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 PM
  #14  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 1,919
Received 784 Likes on 375 Posts
Default

I rode in Moriches Bay and through the inlet today -- a beautiful, very calm day. There are plenty of shallow spots within the channel markers. The eastern exit/entrance to the inlet is particularly narrow. You have to pass very close to the southern tip of the eastern jetty to stay in deep water. Breakers are to your south. Breakers run across the entire mouth of the inlet a few hundred yards south of the entrance, with water ranging from about 4 to 9 feet. The western side of the inlet has deep water till you get outside then immediately turn west and look for a passage through the breakers. Today was one of the nicest days I've been through. I can only imagine how it will be tomorrow when the storm arrives. Inside the bay I'd be very very careful and run it only mid tide or higher.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: long island
Posts: 622
Received 141 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

what boat ? transitioning east of the east cut to westhampton is challenging in an inboard boat that drafts more than 3 ft. west of the east cut, transition south around bird island. smooth sailing west of the inlet. local knowledge is key in moriches
Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Im bringing a boat from montauk (32 center console) and was going to run thru moriches and back bays from peconic. Is that area north of the inlet near 24 good to go and just hug the markers tight? I havent been in moriches in over 10 years. End point will be patchogue. From shinnecock to moriches inlet seems fine in higher tide just a little iffy in that area, from my last experiences there. west of the inlet i am familiar with and know it is marked pretty well. Thanks for any tips.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:56 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I ran Moriches Bay from the CG Station to Patchogue today. Most of the buoys have been pulled for the Winter. I draw almost 4 ft and had only one issue when I drifted south of the channel on the reach toward Narrow Bay to give room to a boat in tow. There was porpoise swimming around on the West side of the Smith Point Bridge, never saw one in the Bay before.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:06 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starkfish View Post
I ran Moriches Bay from the CG Station to Patchogue today. Most of the buoys have been pulled for the Winter. I draw almost 4 ft and had only one issue when I drifted south of the channel on the reach toward Narrow Bay to give room to a boat in tow. There was porpoise swimming around on the West side of the Smith Point Bridge, never saw one in the Bay before.
So just minimal buoys? i guess if i follow my chart plotter hopefully it will be close enough.... maybe shoot west and go to fire island cut instead and then loop back? i have to go to patchogue river.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:37 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

It's up to you, either way I would pick a nice day and as long as your chart plotter is up to date you should not have a problem. All the buoys are in place around 24 on both sides where it gets sketchy. Most of the Buoys in Bellport Bay have also been pulled
Old 11-11-2019, 01:42 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,895
Received 2,392 Likes on 1,730 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by starkfish View Post
It's up to you, either way I would pick a nice day and as long as your chart plotter is up to date you should not have a problem. All the buoys are in place around 24 on both sides where it gets sketchy. Most of the Buoys in Bellport Bay have also been pulled
never assume just because you have updated that you have good / up to date maps!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.