Notices
Like Tree5Likes

My mechanic says donít fog it

Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 33
Default My mechanic says donít fog it

2014 Yamaha F150XA has around 750hrs. Last fall I winterized it and used a portable 4 gal tank with fogging oil, ring-free, stabilizer etc. Come spring I needed new injectors. This week I did the normal oil, lower case fluid, grease, fuel filter and fuel stabilizer and ran the motor on muffs for a good half hour. My mechanic said thereís no need to fog????
bfhiggins12 is offline  
Old 10-09-2019, 09:34 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 1,079
Default

He wants your bidness...
BillTex is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:56 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Durham, NH
Posts: 197
Default

Pretty sure the manual for that engine says to fog it (I.e spray fogging oil into intake while running and then remove plugs and spray each cylinder). Yamaha has nice instructions for winterizing so Iíd do whatever it says. I fogged my F150 every winter for four years (sold it) and never had a problem.
Lprizman and Cobia 217 like this.
malarky is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:16 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 225
Default

This is interesting and timely. I recently starting doing all the maintenance on my 2015 suzuki df250. As it is now time to winterize, I've checked the manual and online. The manual says nothing about fogging. treat the fuel, grease it, change the fluids, run it on muffs to flush it, etc., but nothing about fogging. So far, online sources say NOT to spray anything in the intake as it will have a negative impact on engine sensors. I know the yard that previously serviced my engine did add fluid (assuming fogging fluid) to the cylinder via the spark plug holes since the engine smoked for a few seconds every spring. However, the manual doesn't even indicate that that's necessary for long term storage.

Like to hear what others with late model year 4 strokes say/do.
sonofasonofasailor likes this.
Jim Beam is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:19 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,757
Default

So you already winterized it and you still asked your mechanic? Maybe he figured since you already did all that stuff that it was fine this year to just skip the fogging. Wouldnít be the end of the world.
richeerich is online now  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:21 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,241
Default

Picture of mechanics wife..
C3D likes this.
alligatorgar is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 225
Default

Originally Posted by richeerich View Post
So you already winterized it and you still asked your mechanic? Maybe he figured since you already did all that stuff that it was fine this year to just skip the fogging. Wouldnít be the end of the world.
still on the water. Hoping for a break in this weather. Usually put it away by November 1. Pretty sure they put a mix in the spark plug holes, just need to determine what is appropriate for 4stroke - assume you wouldn't put straight motor oil in there, or maybe you do? Will ask mechanic once they slow down a little.
Jim Beam is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 3,195
Default

Pulling the spark plugs and spraying fogging oil in the cylinders and hand turning or turning the engine with the lanyard pulled can't hurt any of the injectors and it can only protect your cylinders.
captpepin is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 225
Default

Originally Posted by alligatorgar View Post
Picture of mechanics wife..
Name:  1000x-1.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  190.6 KB
Jim Beam is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 225
Default

Originally Posted by captpepin View Post
Pulling the spark plugs and spraying fogging oil in the cylinders and hand turning or turning the engine with the lanyard pulled can't hurt any of the injectors and it can only protect your cylinders.
yep, agreed and I think this is SOP for the yard i've dealt with. Will confirm.
Jim Beam is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chesapeake Bay - Cove Point to Sandy Point
Posts: 489
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
This is interesting and timely. I recently starting doing all the maintenance on my 2015 suzuki df250. As it is now time to winterize, I've checked the manual and online. The manual says nothing about fogging. treat the fuel, grease it, change the fluids, run it on muffs to flush it, etc., but nothing about fogging. So far, online sources say NOT to spray anything in the intake as it will have a negative impact on engine sensors. I know the yard that previously serviced my engine did add fluid (assuming fogging fluid) to the cylinder via the spark plug holes since the engine smoked for a few seconds every spring. However, the manual doesn't even indicate that that's necessary for long term storage.

Like to hear what others with late model year 4 strokes say/do.
This is what I do to my DF250 as well. Change the fluids, grease it, and run it on the muffs. I always treat my fuel throughout the season. I keep the boat at my house during the winter, so once a month-ish I start it and let it run for a few minutes on the muffs. Make sure you tilt the motor all the way down so it can drain after flushing.
sonofasonofasailor is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 05:48 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,931
Default

When we travel the boat may sit for 6-7 months. Winterize, huh? Does winter up north do something more than winter in the south?? To me, winterize means protect things from freeze damage, not necessarily oiling up a motor. Now if you're talking about prolonged storage, that's another issue.
airbrush is online now  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 225
Default

Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
When we travel the boat may sit for 6-7 months. Winterize, huh? Does winter up north do something more than winter in the south?? To me, winterize means protect things from freeze damage, not necessarily oiling up a motor. Now if you're talking about prolonged storage, that's another issue.
Yeah, the whole question is, is it necessary to add oil to the cylinders and what's the best way to do that? I would say that here in new england, most yards/mechanics say to add oil to ensure lubrication of cylinders/prevent lockup during winter storage. As an example, the Etec has an automatic winterization feature that injects oil into cylinders and automatically shuts itself down. would say that it's probably not wise to spray the intake on modern 4stroke, but the jury is still out on that.

Last edited by Jim Beam; 10-10-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Jim Beam is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,977
Default

read the manual.
mystery is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 225
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
read the manual.
You really should research the site before making these comments. Suzuki 2015 Owners manual and service manual say nothing about either issue we are discussing (for additional lube in cylinders or intake); however, it seems that most service professionals do fog a motor for winter storage here - Cape Cod.

Last edited by Jim Beam; 10-10-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Jim Beam is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 320
Default

F150's seem to have a particular issue with clogged/varnished injectors over winter storage for some reason, I hear some dealers have solved this issue by running a special concoction thru the fuel system before winter layup to prevent this, but i don't know what it is.
orcaII is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 07:42 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,919
Default

No doubt,
many anonymous posters here know better than Yamaha,
what should be done

but for anyone interested,
Yamaha does make their current advice readily available:

Preparing for Extended Storage
Fwpratt is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: washington d.c.
Posts: 1,208
Default

See FWPratt's link above - At least for modern Yama 4 strokes the factory recommends fogging oil in a small gas can and running the motor for a few mins until it smokes like a banshee....
sclancy is offline  
Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,307
Default

Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
When we travel the boat may sit for 6-7 months. Winterize, huh? Does winter up north do something more than winter in the south?? To me, winterize means protect things from freeze damage, not necessarily oiling up a motor. Now if you're talking about prolonged storage, that's another issue.
long term storage is the same as winterization for obís. Unless you have an F350.
Boat Hound is online now  
Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,307
Default

Originally Posted by Fwpratt View Post
No doubt,
many anonymous posters here know better than Yamaha,
what should be done

but for anyone interested,
Yamaha does make their current advice readily available:

Preparing for Extended Storage
way to shut a thread down
Cobia 217 likes this.
Boat Hound is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread