Notices
Like Tree5Likes

Boat camping in New England - ideas????

Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 839
Default Boat camping in New England - ideas????

Looking for decent size lakes, rivers or islands in the New England area where I can set up a camp site. While it’s beautiful I’d preferably not go to lake George, as I’ve done it and launching and retrieving are a pain.

Are there any other lakes or rivers or islands that allow this?
Bassmantweed is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 920
Default

Lake Umbagog SP in NH. Very remote-awesome.

Lake Umbagog
BillTex is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 11:27 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,539
Default

There's at least a couple on Rangely Lake, it's gorgeous there. Here's one of them: https://cupsupticcampground.com
icemang is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 11:43 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 2,964
Default

For Salt water two places that are very popular are Burlingame Park in Charleston RI and Fisherman’s Memorial State Park in Narragansett RI.
captpepin is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 01:19 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ & MV
Posts: 3,836
Default

Lake Champlain and along The NY State canal system.

I know, only half is located in New England...

Last edited by aubv; 05-05-2019 at 01:27 PM.
aubv is online now  
Old 05-05-2019, 04:35 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 204
Default

BOSBoatMan and ZBWcontroller like this.
Jim Beam is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 04:52 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Falmouth, MA
Posts: 428
Default

Washburn's Island in Waquoit Bay, Falmouth MA has some camping. No docks so you pull your boat up or anchor. https://www.waquoitbayreserve.org/vi...serve/camping/

I have not tried camping there since it was taken over by the state many many years ago. But we used to just go thre and camp when I was a much younger boater and it was great.

I believe the facilities are quite primitive.
Paul T is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mass
Posts: 2,193
Default

Might be a bit of a different scene than youre looking for but www.indianranch.com

I've also done some off grid stuff in the past at moosehead if that's more your speed. I'll try and remember the campground we used to launch at. U can camp there or launch there and find your own spot. * super off the beaten path, I'd suggest at least a plb.

Last edited by scarab63; 05-05-2019 at 06:09 PM.
scarab63 is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sharon, Ma.
Posts: 2,765
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
Yeah, why not? You can drop an anchor (you'll need a stern anchor too). You can then pull up to any of the Boston islands. No one is gonna bother you. But you need to be self sufficient. Have plenty of water and food.
South of Heaven is online now  
Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 561
Default

Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Yeah, why not? You can drop an anchor (you'll need a stern anchor too). You can then pull up to any of the Boston islands. No one is gonna bother you. But you need to be self sufficient. Have plenty of water and food.
Or come this summer, there may even be enough moorings to overnight on. They've only had a year and a half or so since they announced the permitting!
South of Heaven likes this.
CdP_Sailfish is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 06:22 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Marblehead, MA
Posts: 177
Default

Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Lake Umbagog SP in NH. Very remote-awesome.

Lake Umbagog
YES!
My husband and I have been going here for years. The campsites are only accessible via boat. They have a service boat which will take you to your camp site, or you can bring your own. The campsites are as remote as it gets (considering there is no land access, and they are very spread apart), and there is ZERO cell service for miles which is an added bonus (for us, anyway). Unfortunately, we can't really take our current boat as it's too far a trip trailering a 10.5' beam. Also, towards the end of the trip you're taking all logging roads, many of which are more than a little worse for wear. But if you can swing it, it's worth it.

Feel free to PM me if you want any additional info. You can't do better than umbagog.
ScottyDee is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:56 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Merrimac River & North Port FL
Posts: 667
Default

south arm campground in MAINE https://campmaine.com/directory/west...rm-campground/
casco_schooner is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 11:11 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,183
Default

Originally Posted by CdP_Sailfish View Post
Or come this summer, there may even be enough moorings to overnight on. They've only had a year and a half or so since they announced the permitting!
I highly, highly doubt this will be the case. If those people spent half as much time as getting stuff done as they do "talking about it" and posting on the internets we might actually see some progress.Besides, honestly, are you going to pay $50 to grab a ball for an afternoon when you can drop your own hook?
BOSBoatMan is online now  
Old 05-06-2019, 11:23 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,539
Default

Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
Washburn's Island in Waquoit Bay, Falmouth MA has some camping. No docks so you pull your boat up or anchor. https://www.waquoitbayreserve.org/vi...serve/camping/

I have not tried camping there since it was taken over by the state many many years ago. But we used to just go thre and camp when I was a much younger boater and it was great.
Oh man. Back in the day there was no law on Washburn Island, we had some times out there. We'd camp for days. Kegs, ski boats, young ladies in various states of undress, that was the place. Good times, good times.

Me and a buddy almost got swept out to sea by the current trying to swim over there one time (we were late and it was before cell phones, we couldn't call our friends with boats to come get us). I lost my shoes and my shirt but I didn't lose the handle of Jack I was swimming with!

Then the State took it over and it all ended.
32regulator likes this.

Last edited by icemang; 05-06-2019 at 11:33 AM.
icemang is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sharon, Ma.
Posts: 2,765
Default

Originally Posted by CdP_Sailfish View Post
Or come this summer, there may even be enough moorings to overnight on. They've only had a year and a half or so since they announced the permitting!
Why can't EVERY Boston Harbor island have moorings? Why is Spectacle Island the only show in town??
South of Heaven is online now  
Old 05-06-2019, 11:36 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,905
Default

Originally Posted by Bassmantweed View Post
Looking for decent size lakes, rivers or islands in the New England area where I can set up a camp site. While it’s beautiful I’d preferably not go to lake George, as I’ve done it and launching and retrieving are a pain.

Are there any other lakes or rivers or islands that allow this?
Check out Valcour Island near Plattsburgh NY or Burton Island near St. Albans Vt
both are on Lake Champlain
fjmaverick is online now  
Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 561
Default

Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Why can't EVERY Boston Harbor island have moorings? Why is Spectacle Island the only show in town??
"Permitting"

CdP_Sailfish is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 06:03 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: central MA
Posts: 110
Default

Take a look at Selden Island State Park in the CT river. 200 acres, only 4 sites and only accessible by boat. You can only reserve one night at a time so have another camper book the second night. Launch at the mouth of the CT river under the bridge. It's about 7 miles upstream.
slow530 is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Adirondacks, NY
Posts: 213
Default

I think Saranac Lake has an island system you can book. Check out reserve america.

What I do is camp at Fish Creek Pond and pitch a tent. There's a channel that goes to upper saranac lake which is a gorgeous area for boating. The campground has a launch in it too. Just don't bring anything too big (23' or less.)

I have a site reserved on Lake George this year, but I can already tell it is going to be a process. There's supposedly a marina that has all of the passes/inspections/parking but we'll see.
fjmaverick likes this.
Misterfu02 is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,905
Default

Originally Posted by Misterfu02 View Post
I think Saranac Lake has an island system you can book. Check out reserve america.

What I do is camp at Fish Creek Pond and pitch a tent. There's a channel that goes to upper saranac lake which is a gorgeous area for boating. The campground has a launch in it too. Just don't bring anything too big (23' or less.)

I have a site reserved on Lake George this year, but I can already tell it is going to be a process. There's supposedly a marina that has all of the passes/inspections/parking but we'll see.
Ive never been but my sister loves that Fish Creek camp site for her kids
fjmaverick is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread