Notices
Like Tree8Likes

State taxes

Old 02-03-2019, 04:59 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 27
Default

I am already registered in DE where there is no tax. My concern is MD coming after me if it is on a trailer at a marina in MD too long. I am not concerned about my home state of PA as the boat will really be in my driveway.
fbsaltfly is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 AM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Delaware
Posts: 193
Default

Buy one of Maryland’s ramp stickers and they will never bother you
Delduck is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,745
Default

Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
Register the trailer in Maine, 5 years for $99



​​​​​​https://mainetrailerregistrations.com/







.
thats illegal unless its only being used interstate and i assume a lot of use would be intrastate
mystery is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:29 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 363
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
thats illegal unless its only being used interstate and i assume a lot of use would be intrastate
Have you ever went 56 mph in a 55 mph zone? That’s illegal also you know...
ReelRelaxin is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:44 AM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,745
Default

Originally Posted by ReelRelaxin View Post


Have you ever went 56 mph in a 55 mph zone? That’s illegal also you know...
not as bad as having an invalid registration or committing tax fraud
mystery is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 02:34 PM
  #26  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 8,833
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
not as bad as having an invalid registration or committing tax fraud

What is even worse is the incremental erosion of our ability to keep what is ours and what we worked for. Further more being told that we are not “paying our fair share” or breaking the “Kings Law” by not paying whatever the king feels like charging.

jcirks and buckshotgumbo like this.
captbone is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:38 AM
  #27  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Groove City, MD
Posts: 3,566
Default

Per the MD Dealers Manual:
"A vessel duly registered in another jurisdiction may use MD waters for a cumulative total of 90 days in a calendar year without being deemed principally used in MD.
A vessel may use MD waters for more than 90 days in a calendar year so long as the total days in MD waters is less than the total days spent in the "principle use" jurisdiction."

A logical argument is that sitting on a trailer isn't "using MD waters". Also, it would appear that if you do use MD waters for over 90 days, if MD wanted to go after you, they would have to prove that you didn't use the boat for more than 90 days in the boats home jurisdiction. Since your boat is on a trailer and not sitting in a slip for months, this might not be easy for the MD gubmint to do.
So, I could be wrong, but I would imagine it would take a bit of effort for MD to go after you, which I'd have to believe isn't very likely because of the aforementioned reasons. Unless you piss off a fellow marina tenant and they decide to make your life miserable...
buckshotgumbo is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 AM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,745
Default

Originally Posted by buckshotgumbo View Post
Per the MD Dealers Manual:
"A vessel duly registered in another jurisdiction may use MD waters for a cumulative total of 90 days in a calendar year without being deemed principally used in MD.
A vessel may use MD waters for more than 90 days in a calendar year so long as the total days in MD waters is less than the total days spent in the "principle use" jurisdiction."

A logical argument is that sitting on a trailer isn't "using MD waters". Also, it would appear that if you do use MD waters for over 90 days, if MD wanted to go after you, they would have to prove that you didn't use the boat for more than 90 days in the boats home jurisdiction. Since your boat is on a trailer and not sitting in a slip for months, this might not be easy for the MD gubmint to do.
So, I could be wrong, but I would imagine it would take a bit of effort for MD to go after you, which I'd have to believe isn't very likely because of the aforementioned reasons. Unless you piss off a fellow marina tenant and they decide to make your life miserable...
i'd just make sure tax regs/interpretation matches up with boat use/registration. some times dmv/boat registration authority and dept of revenue/taxing authority have slightly different interpretations. heck some states dont require you state register a boat but you still have to pay taxes...
mystery is online now  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 AM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,398
Default

Careful with all of this re: insurance.

I live in Virginia and keep one boat in MD and one in NC along with two jetskis.
That requires two separate policies, one for NC and one for MD, with the same company.

I was thinking of moving the MD boat to NC for a while, and it wouild require that the boat be insured on the NC policy if it was the normal place of storage and waters of use.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:47 AM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,745
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post
Careful with all of this re: insurance.

I live in Virginia and keep one boat in MD and one in NC along with two jetskis.
That requires two separate policies, one for NC and one for MD, with the same company.

I was thinking of moving the MD boat to NC for a while, and it wouild require that the boat be insured on the NC policy if it was the normal place of storage and waters of use.
Hmmm didnt know that was a thing for boat insurance... for auto, yes, you have to be insured in the right state so they can use the Form for that state but boat insurance usually just asks where you plan to principally keep the boat during on-season and off-season and can give you coverage in all waters if you wanted to pay for it. I have never had issue with having an insurance policy tied to one of my addresses in state A, boat is principally used/stored in state B during on-season, and then stored for winter in State C. I never had to switch policies or have it re-written to have anything match up.
mystery is online now  
Old 02-04-2019, 10:09 AM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Shore
Posts: 124
Default

In Maryland, for the trailer, you would need a trailer inspection and then registration at the Department of Motor Vehicles. The value of the trailer is based on the bill of sale. If you don't have an itemized bill of sale, they go by the blue book value. I think that is why so many boat trailers are registered in Maine. Less hassle and a longer registration, 5 years + as mentioned above.

The boat would be registered to DNR.
Melville84 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM
  #32  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,398
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Hmmm didnt know that was a thing for boat insurance... for auto, yes, you have to be insured in the right state so they can use the Form for that state but boat insurance usually just asks where you plan to principally keep the boat during on-season and off-season and can give you coverage in all waters if you wanted to pay for it. I have never had issue with having an insurance policy tied to one of my addresses in state A, boat is principally used/stored in state B during on-season, and then stored for winter in State C. I never had to switch policies or have it re-written to have anything match up.
my insurance is with Progressive via USAA.
Been with them for a couple decades. They required different policies for boats I kept in Virginia, North Carolina and Maryland. Still do. Different rates too.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 05:56 AM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,745
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post

my insurance is with Progressive via USAA.
Been with them for a couple decades. They required different policies for boats I kept in Virginia, North Carolina and Maryland. Still do. Different rates too.
Progressive is an auto insurance company that dabbles in boats. Its possible because its not a 'real' boat/marine policy they use different forms by state to try to limit their exposure based on state laws/regs.
mystery is online now  
Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Progressive is an auto insurance company that dabbles in boats. Its possible because its not a 'real' boat/marine policy they use different forms by state to try to limit their exposure based on state laws/regs.
I have all state insurance who also have my auto and home. They just asked if in water or land.
fbsaltfly is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 AM
  #35  
MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 73
Default

I did the same thing. Live in PA but registered in DE where I use the boat the most. No sales tax on boat registration in DE. Boat sits on trailer in my garage in PA. However, I registered the trailer in PA because if you register a trailer in DE over a certain GVW, and it has brakes, it needs to be inspected every 2 years at the DMV. It's a hassle and an expense. PA requires registration every 5 years up to 10K GVW and I believe a lifetime registration over 10K.

My guess is they would need to prove you use it primarily in MD waters as Buckshot posted. I thought most guys get busted for that when the boat is in a wet slip or on a lift.
DU601 is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 14,466
Default

Originally Posted by DU601 View Post
I did the same thing. Live in PA but registered in DE where I use the boat the most. No sales tax on boat registration in DE. Boat sits on trailer in my garage in PA. However, I registered the trailer in PA because if you register a trailer in DE over a certain GVW, and it has brakes, it needs to be inspected every 2 years at the DMV. It's a hassle and an expense. PA requires registration every 5 years up to 10K GVW and I believe a lifetime registration over 10K.

My guess is they would need to prove you use it primarily in MD waters as Buckshot posted. I thought most guys get busted for that when the boat is in a wet slip or on a lift.
PA requires registration every year regardless. The best you can do is two years
My trailer is reg at 14000 lbs

Technically trailers need insp. also in PA (Any trailer with a GVWR over 3000 Lbs.)

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform...section_gh.pdf

Last edited by Thalasso; 02-06-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Thalasso is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:24 AM
  #37  
MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 73
Default

I have a 5 year registration $60. Don't know about the inspection every year though.

MV-70S.pdf
DU601 is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 AM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lower DE
Posts: 613
Default

Be careful with the Maine tag. There is 0 weight on the registration. So, the gross weight of trailer is applied to the tow vehicle. DOT loves to check Maine tags. I found that out the hard way...
BigtTunaDaddy is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:04 PM
  #39  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Groove City, MD
Posts: 3,566
Default

Friggin dot. Gotta have numbers to have a trailer behind a pick up w/ a company logo, but grampa can kick a big ass motorhome down the road with another vehicle in tow... Figure that one out.
buckshotgumbo is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 14,466
Default

Originally Posted by DU601 View Post
I have a 5 year registration $60. Don't know about the inspection every year though.

Attachment 1095327
That link is old. The rates have changed
Mine is $41.00 a year and no multi years available


https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0.../s175.130.html
Any trailer with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) over 3000 Lbs. Needs inspection. Most people don't. It's something not usually enforced
Thalasso is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread