Notices
Like Tree13Likes

February Sea Bass Season

Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 658
Default February Sea Bass Season

Will there be a February Sea Bass Season for us in VA? It's about time to restock the freezer..... ate some of my last fish tonight.
bropride96 likes this.
finnedfanatic is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 850
Default

Sure hope so, this Feb 1st to 28th then May to December crap sucks.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 09:58 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Posts: 1,961
Default

I heard it was a go already like last year, time to stock the freezers up
mouse4x4 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 658
Default

It’s on the VMRC website but says subject to change. I guess I’ll contact NMFS and report back.
bropride96 likes this.
finnedfanatic is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 474
Default



seabass meeeting in last weeks paper


They have not had their meeting on it yet. This year I understand that if they open the Feb season it will reduce the main season. There is an open meeting in Newport News coming up. I enjoyed getting out last February. I do not like the fact they say it will now take time from the main season, so I am not set on my opinion yet.
TCBDawg likes this.
krabill is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 658
Default

Hmmm... Good information there! Looks like we wont know until end of the month.

Thanks!
finnedfanatic is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:13 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 50
Default

NMFS sent out a bulletin last week to comms and charters that there will be a February sea bass season for recs. Also, looks like tighter restrictions on flounder are coming.
seapro12 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 06:22 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 850
Default

Originally Posted by seapro12 View Post
NMFS sent out a bulletin last week to comms and charters that there will be a February sea bass season for recs. Also, looks like tighter restrictions on flounder are coming.

size limit or catch quota?
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:08 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Port Haywood Va
Posts: 1,966
Default

thanks for post,,, also interested in that news about flounder..
heycharlie is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 325
Default

Good morning and Happy New Year to everyone... I am very excited about the opportunity to get after some Black Willy's in February. The new engine has been thru it's break-in period and first fluid change. The engine is super efficient and the return is about 2 to 3 mpg at 22 - 24 kts. cruising speed... That will certainly leave more $$ for new gear and tackle. Coupled with the decent fuel prices we are currently experiencing, I see several adventures happening in February. Also, I am hoping to get a shot at some BIG Blackfish; it's been awhile since I landed 1 over 5-6lbs. Perhaps we will get some reports of BFT's between the beach and the CLT soon and will have another species to pursue. Here's to February; CHEERS!!

Zigh
><((((*>
Finfever21 likes this.

Last edited by Zigh; 01-10-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Zigh is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:48 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 850
Default

Originally Posted by Zigh View Post
Good morning and Happy New Year to everyone... I am very excited about the opportunity to get after some Black Willy's in February. The new engine has been thru it's break-in period and first fluid change. The engine is super efficient and the return is about 2 to 3 mpg at 22 - 24 kts. cruising speed... That will certainly leave more $$ for new gear and tackle. Coupled with the decent fuel prices we are currently experiencing, I see several adventures happening in February. Also, I am hoping to get a shot at some BIG Blackfish; it's been awhile since I landed 1 over 5-6lbs. Perhaps we will get some reports of BFT's between the beach and the CLT soon and will have another species to pursue. Here's to February; CHEERS!!

Zigh
><((((*>

Zigh, the bft rolled through the other day 5 miles se of the clt chasing bait and 50lb class rockfish mixed in with them. Last report as now was big school around the triangles.
OutdoorzDude likes this.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 325
Default

Good morning. Thank you very much for sharing the intel! It's fantastic to hear that there are some fish around... I guess the next weather window we just need to load up and go scouting... thanks again and have a nice weekend...

Zigh
><((((*>
Finfever21 likes this.
Zigh is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 325
Default

Bust out the blue / white Islander's and naked's….. ZzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Finfever21 likes this.
Zigh is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:01 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 50
Default

Originally Posted by Finfever21 View Post
size limit or catch quota?
The feds are suggesting a 19” size w/ 4 per person. Not set in stone, looks like there is wiggle room depending on if they determine if flounder is overfished...whatever that means. Guess they want input from the states. I know it will tough to get a limit of 19” plus fish.
seapro12 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 850
Default

Originally Posted by seapro12 View Post

The feds are suggesting a 19” size w/ 4 per person. Not set in stone, looks like there is wiggle room depending on if they determine if flounder is overfished...whatever that means. Guess they want input from the states. I know it will tough to get a limit of 19” plus fish.
flounder haven't been overfished in years. These bs numbers and nothing to back it up is ridiculous. I bet I threw back a hundred of undersized flounder this summer.
OutdoorzDude likes this.

Last edited by Finfever21; 01-11-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 137
Default

disagree here....the flounder bite in the lower bay has been on a steady decline for the past 5 years. fewer limits and citations.
End Game is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 850
Default

Originally Posted by End Game View Post
disagree here....the flounder bite in the lower bay has been on a steady decline for the past 5 years. fewer limits and citations.
I agree 100 percent with you. My point I was trying to make but was worded terrible is the number game and quota they play with no proven evidence. The same goes for cobia.
OutdoorzDude likes this.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 05:13 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Achilles, VA
Posts: 4,970
Default

Just read an article yesterday in the Pilot that they're talking about tightening the rockfish regs too. Would be similar to puppy drum with a slot and no big fish.
Mako 234 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: pasedena , MD
Posts: 831
Default

I remember drifting for flounder in eastern bay in the 90s man we could wreck them. Those days are only a memory now
cast n' blast is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 658
Default

Seems like most of the fisheries are in decline. It’s a bummer. I would definitely support a rockfish closure on the big fish. No need to eat those monsters anyway.

Ive only caught one flounder limit in my time, and that was inside Rudee inlet.
finnedfanatic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: