Notices
Like Tree338Likes

Fishing the Lower Bay and Beyond 2019

Old 06-02-2019, 03:08 PM
  #141  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Port Haywood Va
Posts: 2,301
Default

Was not knocking, you or your post... I was up at 430 didn't leave till call from friend fishing tourney, newpoint @ 1030.. back to Dock @ 430 Crazy day.. Hope the skinny water reds show... looking for Skiff now! BTW, I often fish with CG guys.. One CGA was on boat Sat- that works often, with "22 alpha" was on boat.. Not kocking CG or CGA.. just the regs! (MOP)

I too used to do CGA patrols, BACK WHEN , we were the actual responder's to such things---- Was told,, I was at one time the youngest lifeguard and certified first aid/ cpr in VA at one time..
( Sadly, can't stand to look at blood now) (unless its from fish on deck of my boat)

Last edited by heycharlie; 06-02-2019 at 04:02 PM.
heycharlie is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:48 AM
  #142  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by Mako 234 View Post
I was standing on the t top so I didn't actually hear it. Just repeating what the 3 people below were telling me.

All I know is Saturday morning was miserable and I wonder if that had something to do with it. We left the dock at 5:15. We were back at the dock at 8:30. Took a hot shower and a nap and headed back out around 11.
CG heli was circling from grand view all the way to 1st island looks like for a while after the storm. CG boat was running back and forth up and down buckroe area with his lights on for about an hour. If there was an overturned boat off buckroe we would've seent it.

One thing is for sure, I don't ever want to be caught in a situation like that again. Like bayroamer said, at least we were near shore. Wind literally ripped our rain gear off, had to cut my lines, almost my anchor too. Went from sprinkling too full force within a couple minutes. All of us shivering so hard I could hardly hold the wheel straight. If we had been out as far as bluefish its probably me CG would be looking for.

If I hadn't dumped my chum I think we could've still had a good day. One rat to the boat before the storm, got in the tower after. Was slick calm after about 1pm, got 2 fish between 35-40". Only saw one decent fish the whole day on top. Had 3 in the boat close to 50" same area couple days earlier.

I usually pick my days very carefully, but obviously can't choose what day a tournament falls on. Don't think I'll be doing anymore tournaments unless I wait to register at captains meeting with a superb forecast.

Forecast wasn't terrible for Saturday, but still wouldn't have gone that day if we hadn't already paid up.
TurdFerguson is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 AM
  #143  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Achilles, VA
Posts: 5,165
Default

Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
CG heli was circling from grand view all the way to 1st island looks like for a while after the storm. CG boat was running back and forth up and down buckroe area with his lights on for about an hour. If there was an overturned boat off buckroe we would've seent it.

One thing is for sure, I don't ever want to be caught in a situation like that again. Like bayroamer said, at least we were near shore. Wind literally ripped our rain gear off, had to cut my lines, almost my anchor too. Went from sprinkling too full force within a couple minutes. All of us shivering so hard I could hardly hold the wheel straight. If we had been out as far as bluefish its probably me CG would be looking for.

If I hadn't dumped my chum I think we could've still had a good day. One rat to the boat before the storm, got in the tower after. Was slick calm after about 1pm, got 2 fish between 35-40". Only saw one decent fish the whole day on top. Had 3 in the boat close to 50" same area couple days earlier.

I usually pick my days very carefully, but obviously can't choose what day a tournament falls on. Don't think I'll be doing anymore tournaments unless I wait to register at captains meeting with a superb forecast.

Forecast wasn't terrible for Saturday, but still wouldn't have gone that day if we hadn't already paid up.
I don't think there was an overturned boat at Buckroe. It was a sailboat drifting with no one on it. The forecast for Saturday was nice but we knew there would be scattered storms. Just not a storm like that. If the forecast was actually correct I think there would've been a small craft advisory and the tournament would've been postponed.

We didn't see any of our fish until 3:30 or later. Saw 10 or 12 from 3:30 to 4:30. We landed our fish at 4:33 and ran full throttle the whole way back to beat weigh in deadline by 2 minutes. Saw a FB post that said 5th place was currently 36 lbs so thought we might place. I guess a bunch of big fish came in late. It was a fun tournament though. Except for the morning.

I heard the person who came in 2nd went overboard when he was gaffing the fish. It was late in the afternoon so it was calm.

Last edited by Mako 234; 06-03-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Mako 234 is offline  
Old 06-03-2019, 08:16 AM
  #144  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 70
Default

Left Back Creek Sunday morning and headed out to CBBT. Got to the 4th island and it was pretty bumpy so with the Southwest wind decided to head to Va beach for better conditions. Nice calm easy rollers at the oceanfront. Trolled from Cape Henry to NC border, made the turn and limited out on our 2 man limit of Spanish by the time we made it back to Rudee. Nice easy run back home and had a great day with my middle son.

One disturbing thing, my oldest was at the Patriotic festival and said that severe thunderstorms came through the beach area around 3:00. If we had of stayed we never would have know about the storms until we saw them. I don't have radar or Sat weather and we need a better way to stay up on the weather situation especially when we are that far from home.

2 man limit of Sapnish Mac's
Palmetto Reel is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 02:12 PM
  #145  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 108
Default

Nice work on the Spanish! We stuck it out around the 4th island hoping for a cobia. Saw some but no takers.
Then we came across the best sight ever, an acre of large red drum on the surface! Ended up catching 12 and wearing the kids and adults out. Great day!
wingshot is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 AM
  #146  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 782
Default

Had and awesome 5 day fishing trip with my old buddies from high school. It had been almost 6 years since I had seen one of them. We fished hard 3 of the 5 days. The goal was to get offshore, but I got nervous and called it Sunday. In retrospect, if we would of went south we would of been fine and missed those storms. Instead I decided on spades at the tower and we got completely drenched. That was my first time riding out a thunderstorm on the boat, and a good one at that!

We caught flounder, croakers, roundheads, toads, spades, blues, macks, false albies and one 40" cobia. The guys loved every minute and were already talking about planning a re-run next year! We finished the trip with a cobia steak dinner with a side of blue crabs.











finnedfanatic is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:49 AM
  #147  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Default

Purdy Work Finatic! No friends like old friends. Leaving in morning on a 3 day 2 night float trip for smallies with some of my HS buddies. Doesn't get any better. Hope the rain holds off!
seascritch is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 11:11 AM
  #148  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location:
Posts: 441
Default

Originally Posted by finnedfanatic View Post
Had and awesome 5 day fishing trip with my old buddies from high school. It had been almost 6 years since I had seen one of them. We fished hard 3 of the 5 days. The goal was to get offshore, but I got nervous and called it Sunday. In retrospect, if we would of went south we would of been fine and missed those storms. Instead I decided on spades at the tower and we got completely drenched. That was my first time riding out a thunderstorm on the boat, and a good one at that!

We caught flounder, croakers, roundheads, toads, spades, blues, macks, false albies and one 40" cobia. The guys loved every minute and were already talking about planning a re-run next year! We finished the trip with a cobia steak dinner with a side of blue crabs.






That is a Bonito, not false albacore. Totally different fish and one of the best to eat.
OutdoorzDude likes this.
croakerpoker is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 11:22 AM
  #149  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 765
Default

Ughh I just want to go fishing



TurdFerguson is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 11:39 AM
  #150  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 782
Default

yeah you are right on that, dang-it. I should of looked it up before stating.
finnedfanatic is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM
  #151  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by croakerpoker View Post
That is a Bonito, not false albacore. Totally different fish and one of the best to eat.
yep, people get them confused all the time.
OutdoorzDude is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 03:15 AM
  #152  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 502
Default

Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Ughh I just want to go fishing


Should be a dislike button....
XCalibur is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:01 AM
  #153  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Home - Lucketts, VA Fish House - Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 61
Default

Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Ughh I just want to go fishing



What App or website is that? I like the up-to-date forecast with wind speed.
fishnnk is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:04 AM
  #154  
Dun
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Virgina's middle peninsula
Posts: 224
Default

This one, NOAA's site.
fishnnk likes this.
Dun is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:05 AM
  #155  
Dun
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Virgina's middle peninsula
Posts: 224
Default

Originally Posted by OutdoorzDude View Post


yep, people get them confused all the time.
Which one? The one in the pic by itself held by the guy in the green shirt?
Dun is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 AM
  #156  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by fishnnk View Post
What App or website is that? I like the up-to-date forecast with wind speed.
yea it's NOAA, but I use at least 3 different sources before planning a trip and don't finalize until day before. If one source says sunny and calm seas and others say opposite I wait it out.

Windfinder seems to be the most reliable further out, but I like NOAA's hourly graph for looking 1-2 days out.
fishnnk likes this.
TurdFerguson is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 AM
  #157  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by Dun View Post
Which one? The one in the pic by itself held by the guy in the green shirt?
yes
Dun likes this.
OutdoorzDude is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:36 AM
  #158  
Dun
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Virgina's middle peninsula
Posts: 224
Default

Originally Posted by fishnnk View Post
What App or website is that? I like the up-to-date forecast with wind speed.
I was rooting around NOAA's site this am and found their Marine Portal. Worth checking out!
fishnnk likes this.
Dun is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:15 PM
  #159  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Port Haywood Va
Posts: 2,301
Default

BAY was flat today... ?? lost one big cobe , only about 20 spanish but 3 of them were 25" ( equal 4 20"ers) 15 blues.. Cleaned fish in heavy downpour, felt good at first.. then got pretty miserable..
I will see if I can dig up some pic's.. ( I didn't take any)
Finsinchessy and Dun like this.

Last edited by heycharlie; 06-07-2019 at 12:22 PM.
heycharlie is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:52 PM
  #160  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mathews County, VA
Posts: 444
Default

Originally Posted by heycharlie View Post
BAY was flat today... ?? lost one big cobe , only about 20 spanish but 3 of them were 25" ( equal 4 20"ers) 15 blues.. Cleaned fish in heavy downpour, felt good at first.. then got pretty miserable..
I will see if I can dig up some pic's.. ( I didn't take any)
Were you trolling for blues? I am finally picking my boat up from winter storage next weekend and am itching to get out - it seems like half the season is already gone. House renovations have delayed us moving back in until the 14th.

Were you out last Saturday? Took a drive down to the marina and didn't see your boat in the slip, but I wasn't 100% paying attention.
RivaHaven is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread