Notices
Like Tree3Likes

Fresh bunker Rock Hall area

Old 06-07-2018, 03:45 PM
  #1  
MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wilmington, DE/Neavitt, MD
Posts: 79
Default Fresh bunker Rock Hall area

Where do you guys get your bunker in the Rock Hall area?
DU601 is offline  
Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 408
Default

Clark's but for the life of me I can't remember where it's at
SquidsDusky is offline  
Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 365
Default

Originally Posted by SquidsDusky View Post
Clark's but for the life of me I can't remember where it's at
isn't it off fish hatchery road ?
bubba75 is offline  
Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 408
Default

yeah that's it. north of Fairlee
SquidsDusky is offline  
Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 54
Default

Clark’s is pretty much the only game in town
Lind_storm is offline  
Old 06-08-2018, 03:43 PM
  #6  
MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wilmington, DE/Neavitt, MD
Posts: 79
Default

Thanks. I’ll look them up.
DU601 is offline  
Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Quaker Neck, MD
Posts: 670
Default

Chester River Seafood also carries bait now. 410-639-7018
shoreboy6 is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 04:34 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 5,048
Default

A lot of DE guys with fresh. Majority of bunker chunking here on the eastern shore guys are using flats of frozen.

Last sat two guys 20 keeper sized missed 10 more because rods going off while fighting fish. All on frozen
slickcav is online now  
Old 06-14-2018, 11:11 AM
  #9  
MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wilmington, DE/Neavitt, MD
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by slickcav View Post
A lot of DE guys with fresh. Majority of bunker chunking here on the eastern shore guys are using flats of frozen.

Last sat two guys 20 keeper sized missed 10 more because rods going off while fighting fish. All on frozen
That's good to know. Been doing OK on jigs but not great. Looking to do some bait soaking with the kids.
Thanks.
DU601 is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:11 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Easton, MD
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by slickcav View Post
A lot of DE guys with fresh. Majority of bunker chunking here on the eastern shore guys are using flats of frozen.

Last sat two guys 20 keeper sized missed 10 more because rods going off while fighting fish. All on frozen
How are you assured to not kill more than your limit when fishing this way? Seems a tad irresponsible to the resource. Just saying.
cdx likes this.
Shore Native is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:20 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Quaker Neck, MD
Posts: 670
Default

Circle hooks
shoreboy6 is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Easton, MD
Posts: 137
Default

Originally Posted by shoreboy6 View Post
Circle hooks
Come on. I dont chum but if you read any of the rockfish reports on facebook, dozens and dozens of guys are complaining about guthooking with circle hooks. You can't prevent a fish from swallowing a bait all the way if you are fighting another fish.

Perhaps, if the bite was as good as claimed, they should be using just one rod per angler? Bait fishing is not synonymous with Catch and release.
cdx likes this.
Shore Native is offline  
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM
  #13  
cdx
Senior Member
 
cdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cecil co. MD
Posts: 3,444
Default

Originally Posted by Shore Native View Post
Come on. I dont chum but if you read any of the rockfish reports on facebook, dozens and dozens of guys are complaining about guthooking with circle hooks. You can't prevent a fish from swallowing a bait all the way if you are fighting another fish.

Perhaps, if the bite was as good as claimed, they should be using just one rod per angler? Bait fishing is not synonymous with Catch and release.
Or what should be happening when using bait, live or cut, is once the limit is in the box get off the fish. Either go fish for perch, cats, etc. or switch to jigging or trolling where there is less of a chance of deep hooking the fish. Even with circles, some are still getting deep hooked. Why waste the resource for entertainment?
Shore Native likes this.
cdx is offline  
Old 06-15-2018, 07:10 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Quaker Neck, MD
Posts: 670
Default

I don't disagree with either of the above. Realistically how many fish are mortally injured when C & R fishing using artificials?
shoreboy6 is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 06:06 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,499
Default

Where is a good spot to launch from down near Rock Hall if I trailer down?
19' Center Console.

Usually launch up the Chester at Rolphs but want to trailer closer to Rock Hall/Bay Bridger area with out crossing the Bay Bridge.

Thanks,
Striper In is online now  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Quaker Neck, MD
Posts: 670
Default

The best ramp in Kent County is right in Rock Hall next to Harbor Shack.
shoreboy6 is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,499
Default

Originally Posted by shoreboy6 View Post
The best ramp in Kent County is right in Rock Hall next to Harbor Shack.
Thank you, How is parking on the weekends?
Striper In is online now  
Old 06-18-2018, 10:28 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At end of the Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 342
Default

The parking can be tight but manageable if you get there early. Also you WILL need a county launch sticker on your trailer. Its not expensive ($30 a year) and there are several places that sell them. I usually get mine at Molly's sporing goods in Kennedyville which is right where you make a right hand swerve to go to RH. BTW, you will need your boat registration to get it.
Wingnutt is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 10:53 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,499
Default

Originally Posted by Wingnutt View Post
The parking can be tight but manageable if you get there early. Also you WILL need a county launch sticker on your trailer. Its not expensive ($30 a year) and there are several places that sell them. I usually get mine at Molly's sporing goods in Kennedyville which is right where you make a right hand swerve to go to RH. BTW, you will need your boat registration to get it.
Perfect thanks again, Good info!
Striper In is online now  
Old 06-19-2018, 11:32 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 5,048
Default

Originally Posted by cdx View Post

Or what should be happening when using bait, live or cut, is once the limit is in the box get off the fish. Either go fish for perch, cats, etc. or switch to jigging or trolling where there is less of a chance of deep hooking the fish. Even with circles, some are still getting deep hooked. Why waste the resource for entertainment?








Because the 90 minutes of fishing with my father (which happens twice a year if I am lucky) catching and releasing fish was more important than the internet opinions on how I should be fishing and what I should be fishing for and when I should be doing it.

No fish harmed, all swam away healthy, I fish bait-runner reels, we had two rods per man, and it was a memorable day I will never forget fishing with my father.

If your concern is sustaining the fishery, then we can talk about the thousands and thousands of pounds of commercial quota, omega fleet destroying the menhaden population and starving the bay, etc in another thread? But my 30-50 rockfish I catch a year and the 15 I bring home for the table isnt touching the fishery I can assure you.

Last edited by slickcav; 06-19-2018 at 02:54 PM.
slickcav is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread