Notices
Like Tree446Likes

Offshore 2018

Old 05-15-2018, 01:29 PM
  #81  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 818
Default

Boat's on the shore and I'm basically ready to go. No good water within sight, though. Next time down will be the long memorial day weekend. Hopefully good weather and some decent water around by then...
mdman352 and Nardiellojitsu like this.
cletus9000 is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:54 AM
  #82  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edgewater, Maryland
Posts: 991
Default

Fished Oregon Inlet on a friends Parker on Sat, Sun & Mon.

Saturday- calm weather and lots of boats! There was some yellowfin caught in the blended 67 -69 degree water but we didn’t get bit. Headed up the line north about 3 -4 miles and found some bait and marks. Circled back around and got a Wolfpack bite with 3 clips popping, two came tight and we boated one 100# big eye. 2 other boats were in the same area and all three of us were tight fighting BE’s. Mid afternoon headed into tile fishing grounds and made fast work of a blue line limit in 280’. Seemed to be a trip saver for a lot of charters who were doing the same thing. On the way in we hit the 102 tower to see if any donkeys were home...none as the water was 61...but there were some nice C bass liking our jigs on the bottom.

Sunday- very different day! We left at 8 since it blew up overnight. Went to the same area where we saw bait and the Big eye’s and it was deserted and the water was much colder at 61 than the day before. We pushed down towards the point and before we got there we found the break and a big weed line. Tried to run the weed line on the hot side (77-79) and found no love. Then we went on the other side to fish the change and came tight with a nice sailfish. Shortly after we found some tuna in the change (72-75) and boxed a nice yellowfin. The winds were kicking up so we decided to get inside with a tuna in the box. No tile fishing since it was too rough

Monday- winds weren’t too bad (15-20 SW) in the am so we hunted for cobia south of the inlet. Found 5 pods of fish to throw out in 64 degree water. We caught 2 out of our best opportunity. My buddies are still down there and said it was great on Tuesday.


old hat is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM
  #83  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 818
Default

Nice report Old Hat. I keep telling my wife I'm so jealous of that OBX fishery this time of year as they've been catching tuna and more for weeks and weeks and we're still waiting for decent water to push in to MD waters.
cletus9000 is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 AM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Port Haywood Va
Posts: 2,284
Default

Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Iv used several different methods but not usually way back or deep most of the time I use outrodders (horizontal) rod holders & pull daisy chains from rod tips between the flat & short rigger. But will put a 3 1/2" drone there just use a #2 plainer & 20 feet leader to spoon Gets it down 3 to 5 feet deep behind the flat on a sunny day you can see it flashing
Timex, I run planers in the bay all the time for spanish.. 7mph (6kt) #1 planers norm 5' -7' #2 run 12-14'.. ( I know because they sometimes hit bottom)
My question,,, Are the larger spoons whats keeping it up higher in water column?

(BTW, blues were hitting the #1 planer today, nothing on #2 planer or the 6oz in-lines)

Last edited by heycharlie; 05-16-2018 at 12:00 PM.
heycharlie is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 12:46 PM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 478
Default

Originally Posted by heycharlie View Post
Timex, I run planers in the bay all the time for spanish.. 7mph (6kt) #1 planers norm 5' -7' #2 run 12-14'.. ( I know because they sometimes hit bottom)
My question,,, Are the larger spoons whats keeping it up higher in water column?

(BTW, blues were hitting the #1 planer today, nothing on #2 planer or the 6oz in-lines)
I'm only letting the planer out about 15' this with 20' leader is plenty behind the boat my boat is really versatile my riggers have 3 clips so if I pull a planer-spoon from outrodder I move squid-cedar plug chain to 3rd rigger position
Timex is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:32 PM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 478
Default

Originally Posted by cletus9000 View Post
Nice report Old Hat. I keep telling my wife I'm so jealous of that OBX fishery this time of year as they've been catching tuna and more for weeks and weeks and we're still waiting for decent water to push in to MD waters.
not to be sarcastic but if your boats on a trailer what are you waiting for. Check out the fishing center report for today. Looking a little to sporty on Sat for me. But until we get some water here I'm trailering down there.it would be great to have another boat from the shore to buddy with. If you have any questions pm me
Timex is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 05:59 AM
  #87  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 818
Default

Originally Posted by Timex View Post
not to be sarcastic but if your boats on a trailer what are you waiting for. Check out the fishing center report for today. Looking a little to sporty on Sat for me. But until we get some water here I'm trailering down there.it would be great to have another boat from the shore to buddy with. If you have any questions pm me
I've thought about it but have to pull it through a tunnel somewhere (CBBT) and being that she's overwide I'm hesitant. Doable, yes, with all the prep, permitting etc. But tough, getting to the point that it's a lot of work and hassle for likely one trip based on limited flexibility to be away from a young family. If we were down for a week it would be a different story. Now if any of that water gets within range of the ramp at Kiptopeke I'm gone. So sadly jealous from afar of the OBX bite currently.
heycharlie likes this.
cletus9000 is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM
  #88  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by cletus9000 View Post
I've thought about it but have to pull it through a tunnel somewhere (CBBT) and being that she's overwide I'm hesitant. Doable, yes, with all the prep, permitting etc. But tough, getting to the point that it's a lot of work and hassle for likely one trip based on limited flexibility to be away from a young family. If we were down for a week it would be a different story. Now if any of that water gets within range of the ramp at Kiptopeke I'm gone. So sadly jealous from afar of the OBX bite currently.
What's up guys, new to THT but a longtime Tidalfish member. We run a Boston Whaler 315 CQ out of OCMD and are looking forward to another great season. Have fished already with some of the guys listed in this thread but always looking to meet more. Happy to share all that I've learned since we started this venture on our own about 10 years ago.

Tony
Hammer Down
pinegolf77 and Slimrich like this.
HAMMER_DOWN is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 PM
  #89  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 818
Default

Originally Posted by HAMMER_DOWN View Post
What's up guys, new to THT but a longtime Tidalfish member. We run a Boston Whaler 315 CQ out of OCMD and are looking forward to another great season. Have fished already with some of the guys listed in this thread but always looking to meet more. Happy to share all that I've learned since we started this venture on our own about 10 years ago.

Tony
Hammer Down
Tony, good to see you on this site. Tidal Fish has really gone down hill and folks actually share info here pretty regularly.

I'll be down the shore memorial weekend Thurs late to Monday. Hopefully there's a window during that period to make a run or three offshore.
cletus9000 is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:35 PM
  #90  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: OCMD
Posts: 467
Default

Anyone done any nearshore sea bass out of ocmd this week? Thinking I might get a little weather window Saturday morning to make a short run out.
Slobberknocker is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:36 PM
  #91  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 188
Default Mdw

Originally Posted by cletus9000 View Post
Boat's on the shore and I'm basically ready to go. No good water within sight, though. Next time down will be the long memorial day weekend. Hopefully good weather and some decent water around by then...
cletus,

if weather permits, may go deep for tile on MDW. If not will be inshore for bass. If you’re up to running together drop me a line
Flounder13 is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:52 PM
  #92  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 188
Default

Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
Anyone done any nearshore sea bass out of ocmd this week? Thinking I might get a little weather window Saturday morning to make a short run out.
slobber

heard of a bite around the bass grounds but I wouldn’t change it with this weather unless you got 30’+
Flounder13 is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 PM
  #93  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: OCMD
Posts: 467
Default

Originally Posted by Flounder13 View Post


slobber

heard of a bite around the bass grounds but I wouldn’t change it with this weather unless you got 30’+
Just a 26'. Window looks like it's closing anyways. Hadn't checked since earlier today, but I was seeing a gap from 6-9 that morning, and now it's saying 5' @ 7 sec. That would turn me around. Thanks for the info though, hadn't heard of it at bass grounds. Might just see if there's any topwater bass at the 90, for something to do.
Slobberknocker is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 PM
  #94  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South of Pennsyltucky
Posts: 9,496
Default

There were nice catches of sea bass last day or so, but I haven't heard the exact spots. I was hoping to go this weekend but weather still looks bad, along with wind and big seas.
Hollywood9s is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 PM
  #95  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Posts: 2,242
Default

Plenty of big knot heads around
mouse4x4 is offline  
Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 AM
  #96  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 818
Default

Originally Posted by Flounder13 View Post


cletus,

if weather permits, may go deep for tile on MDW. If not will be inshore for bass. If you’re up to running together drop me a line
Sounds good, I'll be in touch closer in if the weather allows a long run
cletus9000 is offline  
Old 05-18-2018, 07:43 AM
  #97  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edgewater, Maryland
Posts: 991
Default

Originally Posted by cletus9000 View Post
Nice report Old Hat. I keep telling my wife I'm so jealous of that OBX fishery this time of year as they've been catching tuna and more for weeks and weeks and we're still waiting for decent water to push in to MD waters.
Thanks! Hopefully it won’t be long before that first eddy peels off? I love that OBX fishery with all the options and the close proximity to the blue water. I agree its a helluva tow from our area and you really need a week to make it worthwhile. I prefer to join others that have their boats down there and get my boat ready for OCMD. Didn’t expect to see a sailfish this early down there..that was a surprise! Did see a huge blue marlin in the hot water get airborne which was quite a sight.
old hat is offline  
Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 PM
  #98  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Default

Anyone looking for buddy boats this year out of rudee or Lynnhaven? PM me if interested. Last year went out about a dozen times with mixed success. Sounds like a lot of people had the same results and are looking for a better 2018.
pinegolf77 is offline  
Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 PM
  #99  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Default Ready to fish

Hey guys, just stumbled upon this thread. Pumped to see the season starting soon and equally excited to see others in the same boat. I’ve fished with Tystorm and I know we both are jonesing to get out soon. Always looking to get out if anyone needs a +1 especially on weekdays. Can supply some rods, tackle, beer and fuel money. Always looking to learn more and have some offshore experience. Mostly fish out of ocmd. Feel free to message me if you need a guy!

tight lines hope this year is a good one
Matt
Tystorm likes this.
Matt_in_fenwick is offline  
Old 05-23-2018, 02:29 PM
  #100  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8
Default

Long time reader first time poster. I have a 29' ProKat in OCMD and I'm looking to gain some offshore experience. Been fishing inshore wrecks for a few years but i want to get into bigger game. I went out a few times last year as far as the hot dog for shark and dolphin. Did have some luck on both trips but my goal this year is to bring in a tuna. I have never been tuna fishing and could use someone experienced to show me how to setup for trolling, rig baits and whatnot. PM me if you are interested in setting up a trip on my boat or yours. If on yours I'm willing to chip in for fuel bait w/e.

Josh
Tystorm and Matt_in_fenwick like this.
FatCatOCMD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread