Notices

Lynnhaven River Navigation (Virginia Beach)

Old 11-23-2020, 12:35 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 43
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lynnhaven River Navigation (Virginia Beach)

Hi all,

Hopefully somebody on here can answer this question. I've noticed over the past few months the markers on the Lynnhaven River are not accurate and don't match the charts any longer. The two circled in my "1" are not there any longer, and now there's a few "shoal" markers where I have indicated "2".

Does anyone know the "proper" channel here these days? Do I go to the right of the new shoal (heading out to sea) as in my blue line marked "3" or to the left (blue line #4)?

I have a 15' Whaler, so not a lot of draft or concern of running aground, but also don't want to end up on The Qualified Captain Instagram page.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Legobusier; 11-23-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:48 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia Beach Va
Posts: 2,259
Received 1,125 Likes on 521 Posts
Default

If someone told you how to navigate that today, those directions won't be any good tomorrow. I've seen that shoal cross the whole creek.
Likes:
Old 11-23-2020, 08:24 PM
  #3  
MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Little Creek, VA
Posts: 85
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I agree that area has become pretty tricky of the past two years and I think they simply have not been able to keep up with the changes. Colleagues of mine bumped pretty good in the channel a couple of months ago on low tide. Generally, this year I think the track that you have identified as #3 is the safest bet. I have actually been running the eastern side of the area all year and found pretty consistant water over there v. having to guess where the bar has moved. Try sticking to the eastern side once you pass the last marker on a pole when heading seaward and I think you will be fine in your Whaler. You can see how this route generally lines up with the 3' and then two 4' readings on the chart. I don't think the 1' reading just to the east of the Green #3 is accurate anymore.
Likes:
Old 11-24-2020, 06:41 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 43
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Moorefun View Post
I agree that area has become pretty tricky of the past two years and I think they simply have not been able to keep up with the changes. Colleagues of mine bumped pretty good in the channel a couple of months ago on low tide. Generally, this year I think the track that you have identified as #3 is the safest bet. I have actually been running the eastern side of the area all year and found pretty consistant water over there v. having to guess where the bar has moved. Try sticking to the eastern side once you pass the last marker on a pole when heading seaward and I think you will be fine in your Whaler. You can see how this route generally lines up with the 3' and then two 4' readings on the chart. I don't think the 1' reading just to the east of the Green #3 is accurate anymore.
Thanks for the input. I'm actually wondering if the best route may be to the west of the shoal (marked #2) and then proceeding basically North to the 3LR marker - assuming these depths are even close to accurate that may actually be the new "channel" (black dashed line in my sketch).

I keep thinking about it from a "new boaters" perspective - you're going to follow the markers - generally point-to point. The only reason I've been going over to the "1" markers is just that's where the channel USED to be...Again, the markers shown in my circled #1 are not there any longer - I assume that's intentional? I had another guy I know yesterday tell me to take the #4 path, but again, he's referencing markers from memory which have been removed.

Who knows....


Old 11-24-2020, 06:42 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

I believe your route 3 is the safest, but as others have stated, it seems like a crapshoot a lot of days. Sadly, I don't even try to go back there anymore because I've hit bottom twice this year and it just isn't worth it. Sucks to lose such a large part of the river for cruising around.
Likes:
Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 AM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 43
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joebobthomson View Post
I believe your route 3 is the safest, but as others have stated, it seems like a crapshoot a lot of days. Sadly, I don't even try to go back there anymore because I've hit bottom twice this year and it just isn't worth it. Sucks to lose such a large part of the river for cruising around.
Iím glad to know Iím not the only one that is confused by this area...I figured I was just being dumb
Old 11-25-2020, 07:13 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 818
Received 429 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

I think thatís a pretty old map. I have been taking track ď4Ē to the west but once you get past that shoal where the channel used to dog leg, you have to swing way out to the east heading towards the gate which I thought was numbered 5 and 6. If you tried to go straight from buoy 4 to the gate you would hit bottom. The crabs pots during the summer would mark the channel pretty good. I called the city over a year ago about getting it marked or dredged and they claimed they were planning to get to it. Just ridiculous considering the taxes we pay.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:18 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 43
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OutdoorzDude View Post
I think thatís a pretty old map. I have been taking track ď4Ē to the west but once you get past that shoal where the channel used to dog leg, you have to swing way out to the east heading towards the gate which I thought was numbered 5 and 6. If you tried to go straight from buoy 4 to the gate you would hit bottom. The crabs pots during the summer would mark the channel pretty good. I called the city over a year ago about getting it marked or dredged and they claimed they were planning to get to it. Just ridiculous considering the taxes we pay.
Thanks...I donít know about the map date, it IS the latest Navionics map for what thatís worth. All others that Iíve seen appear to be the same. It sure would be nice to get an accurate representation of this area.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:25 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia Beach Va
Posts: 2,259
Received 1,125 Likes on 521 Posts
Default

"Old map" is an understatement, but probably had some updates added to it. There hasn't been "numerous duck blinds" in Lynnhaven since before my time. Maybe back in time closer to when Steinhilbers was a hunt club , not a restaurant.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:37 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 818
Received 429 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Legobusier View Post
Thanks...I donít know about the map date, it IS the latest Navionics map for what thatís worth. All others that Iíve seen appear to be the same. It sure would be nice to get an accurate representation of this area.
I just took another look, the map is current though not accurate. Your screenshot just didnít go all the way to the gate I was looking for. But yes, we need this area to be addressed by the city of VB. Please contact public works or beaches and waterway committee.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:50 PM
  #11  
MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Little Creek, VA
Posts: 85
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Was out some last week and noticed someone, assuming the city, has added shoal markers. If you stay just west of them, there appeared to be good water. There appeared to be some pretty shollow areas approximately where you wrote your "4". Otherwise, its still pretty squirrely through there, there was also some really shallow water down around the 2A marker on the chart. I was on a plane and didn't bump, but I could see the bottom way to well for comfort.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.