Notices

Point Lookout advice

Old 08-07-2020, 05:44 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 237
Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Point Lookout advice

I'm thinking of launching out from Point Lookout this weekend. It would be my first time out in the area. Is there anything I should be aware of? How's the traffic getting into the park? Should I get there before a certain time to avoid the crowds? How's the boat ramp? It looks pretty big from the satellite map.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:57 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lower Potomac, VA
Posts: 3,369
Received 381 Likes on 256 Posts
Default

I assume you are talking about Pt. Lookout where the Potomac meets the bay.
Never been into the park but have made the turn to go up the bay more than a few times,
I'm only guessing here, but based upon the amount of boat traffic I see on the Potomac, I don't think you will have a lot of problems with tons of traffic...but I could be wrong.
Give it a shot and come back and give us a report.
Likes:
Old 08-07-2020, 06:30 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 237
Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

I'm not as concerned about the boat traffic as the picnicker/park traffic getting in and out of the State Park.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:04 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,102
Received 255 Likes on 124 Posts
Default

Can't speak to the crowds as I usually fish there in the winter. The ramp is a good one. I launch my 29 regulator there solo with ease so it can support larger rigs. Decent amount of trailer parking.
Likes:
Old 08-07-2020, 08:34 AM
  #5  
Senior Member (used to be B-Faithful)Captains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 18,095
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Default

I too fish there in the winter. No problem launching my boat solo multiple times a week. Follow the MD State Parks twitter page to see if the park is full to capacity. You can go back through the history to see when closings typically take place too.

If getting to the park is too crowded, I suggest going up to Buzz's Marina. Mike, will point you in the direction of the fish. Getting out of the creek is a narrow channel. Just pay attention and you will be fine. https://buzzsmarina.com/
Likes:
Old 08-07-2020, 11:19 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lower Potomac, VA
Posts: 3,369
Received 381 Likes on 256 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post

If getting to the park is too crowded, I suggest going up to Buzz's Marina. Mike, will point you in the direction of the fish. Getting out of the creek is a narrow channel. Just pay attention and you will be fine. https://buzzsmarina.com/
I've always heard that St. Jeromes had a lot of skinny water and one really had to be careful not just in the creek, but getting in and out of it.
what's the scoop?
Ok to run around in my runabout but stay away with my 35' aft cabin especially at low tide?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:16 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 954
Received 339 Likes on 267 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by drumsfield View Post
I'm thinking of launching out from Point Lookout this weekend. It would be my first time out in the area. Is there anything I should be aware of? How's the traffic getting into the park? Should I get there before a certain time to avoid the crowds? How's the boat ramp? It looks pretty big from the satellite map.
The park is nice as is the ramp. I took the family out of there about 3 weeks ago on a weekend. Got there around 830 and there was plenty of parking in the lot at the ramp. When we left in the early afternoon there was still plenty of parking. As I understand, they close the park when it gets to capacity but they continue to let vehicles trailering boats in until the lot at the ramp is full.

Check out the memorials just before you get into the park. One has been there forever and is an obelisk dedicated to the confederate POWs who died there. The only thing I know about the other one is that it flies the confederate flag above a bunch of others, but no US flag.
If you are a history buff there is a museum at the park, and just up the road is St Maryís City.
Originally Posted by chuck34 View Post
I've always heard that St. Jeromes had a lot of skinny water and one really had to be careful not just in the creek, but getting in and out of it.
what's the scoop?
Ok to run around in my runabout but stay away with my 35' aft cabin especially at low tide?
itís a Ďfuní ride in and out from buzzís. Itís shallow in lots of places that donít seem obvious, but if you follow the markers, and maybe a charter boat the first time, itís not terrible.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:51 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 281
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

I fish out of there a good bit. Nice park and ramps. If your trying to get out first thing I suggest getting there at 530 the park opens at 6 to the beach crowd and line will be forming just before then. I got there at 545 the other morning about 20 cars in line I went around them not sure if a park ranger would let me do that if they were at their stations at that time. Thereís a 10 dollar payment that you make at the ramp.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Iím going to be making the trip down tomorrow for my first time. Any pointers or tackle suggestions? Iíll have all my light tackle stuff. Should I take peeler or chum with the water being stained.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 237
Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mike6 View Post
Iím going to be making the trip down tomorrow for my first time. Any pointers or tackle suggestions? Iíll have all my light tackle stuff. Should I take peeler or chum with the water being stained.
Got back from my trip yesterday. The water was green and clear. Saw a pod of bottlenose dolphins. They swam right next to the boat, made my daughter's day. Spent an hour anchored next to the target ship chumming, netted only one fish (whiting) with shrimp. Crabs were tearing my bait up (peeler, shirmp, fishbites, bunker) decided to pick it up and troll back to the dock. On the way back netted 2 spanish mackrel 19 and 22 inches.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Decided to go out of crisfield instead caught 3 keeper trout. No luck with anything else.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mount Royal NJ
Posts: 263
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mike6 View Post
Decided to go out of crisfield instead caught 3 keeper trout. No luck with anything else.
Interested in what ramp you use? I'm Considering trailering down my 28í Sea Ray over Labor Day weekend this year. Looking for a good ramp to use and be able to leave truck and trailer for a few days in that general area.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:50 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: The Chesapeake
Posts: 8
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tangled Online View Post
Interested in what ramp you use? I'm Considering trailering down my 28í Sea Ray over Labor Day weekend this year. Looking for a good ramp to use and be able to leave truck and trailer for a few days in that general area.
I used the Somers Cove Marina this past weekend while I stayed on Smith Island. No issues with leaving the truck and trailer for a few days. The fee is $7 a day. Iíd suggest not using the far left ramp when looking at the water from the parking lot. Itís a little beat up with pot holes.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:08 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mount Royal NJ
Posts: 263
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ginger5.0 View Post
I used the Somers Cove Marina this past weekend while I stayed on Smith Island. No issues with leaving the truck and trailer for a few days. The fee is $7 a day. Iíd suggest not using the far left ramp when looking at the water from the parking lot. Itís a little beat up with pot holes.
Got it, thanks for the Heads up...I think we are definitly going, might grab a slip there that Thur. before labor Day weekend as we will arrive to the ramp on the late side. Is there 24hr. access? Probably wont get there till about 8:30ish that night
Old 08-13-2020, 10:20 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: The Chesapeake
Posts: 8
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tangled Online View Post
Got it, thanks for the Heads up...I think we are definitly going, might grab a slip there that Thur. before labor Day weekend as we will arrive to the ramp on the late side. Is there 24hr. access? Probably wont get there till about 8:30ish that night
Yup, itís a self service ramp with pay box. You just punch the hang tag for how many days youíre going to be there and pay accordingly.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:37 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mount Royal NJ
Posts: 263
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ginger5.0 View Post
Yup, itís a self service ramp with pay box. You just punch the hang tag for how many days youíre going to be there and pay accordingly.
Awesome thanks, good ramp even with low tide? I have a 28' Sea Ray I'll be launching
Old 08-13-2020, 11:04 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: The Chesapeake
Posts: 8
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tangled Online View Post
Awesome thanks, good ramp even with low tide? I have a 28' Sea Ray I'll be launching
I came in at the end of low tide and I believe I was showing 4ft under my 19ícc.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:19 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mount Royal NJ
Posts: 263
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ginger5.0 View Post
I came in at the end of low tide and I believe I was showing 4ft under my 19ícc.
I Should probably be OK then...Thanks again for the info.!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.