Notices

Looking for fishing/boating friends in PA,DE,NJ

Old 07-10-2019, 05:30 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pottstown, PA
Posts: 11
Default Looking for fishing/boating friends in PA,DE,NJ

Sounds like a bad dating ad but I'm looking for friends with boats, tired of being that friend with the boat......

Looking for some fishing friends (with their own boats). I fish local freshwater (PA) and the Delaware Bay (Mostly out of Bowers, Augustine or Lewes) but sometimes find myself on the ocean side in South Jersey. I have a Key West 176CC I fish from. I'm either by myself or fishing with a friend who wants to be on my boat. Would be nice to have some friends with boats.

I'm hoping to be around reef sites 3 & 4 on the Delaware side of the bay this Saturday
soup1279 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 225
Default

What do you catch on those reef sites?

The furthest north reef I have
fished is #8
willf650 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pottstown, PA
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by willf650 View Post
What do you catch on those reef sites?

The furthest north reef I have
fished is #8
Last Friday was a lot of weakfish with some kingfish mixed in. Was hoping for flounder but that didn't happen. I did catch a 15 1/2" Tautog on squid which was a surprise. I was not on my boat this trip but was on another.
soup1279 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 319
Default

Curious, where do you launch from in Jersey? I'm in a similar size boat, I usually go south to the chesapeake - north around Elkton, but more recently down around Kent Island in search of striper. Interested in trying saltier waters one of these days. Or are you launching out of Lewes and motoring out that way?

Last edited by TrybalRage; 07-12-2019 at 05:52 AM.
TrybalRage is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pottstown, PA
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
Curious, where do you launch from in Jersey? I'm in a similar size boat, I usually go south to the chesapeake - north around Elkton, but more recently down around Kent Island in search of striper. Interested in trying saltier waters one of these days. Or are you launching out of Lewes and motoring out that way?
If I am fishing the bay I usually launch on the Delaware side. IMHO Delaware has a far better public ramp system. Usually well maintained ramps and ample parking. I launch out of Bowers a lot because I like the little town. It's not a horrible drive being just south of Dover. I don't launch out of Lewes too often as the drive is tough on the weekends with the beach traffic. When the water is right and the crabbing is decent I'll launch out of Augustine DE, south of Port Penn and crab the streams with good results.

I think I pay $40 for my Delaware fishing license for the boat (covers anyone on the boat) and another $30 for ramp access to any DE owned Ramp for the year.

Occasionally I'll launch out of Fortescue NJ. The green heads there are nasty. I have to pay a toll and the outgoing tide makes it very difficult to get the boat on the trailer. Fishing the Ocean (NJ) I have been launching out and around Sea Isle because that is where I'm most familiar.

My plan for Saturday is to launch out of Bowers and fish the reefs in the area in hopes of getting some flounder. If that fails I'll try and find something bigger, maybe do some shark fishing. If you're interested in running your boat down there sometime let me know. I'm not too far from you (Pottstown).

Also the Delaware bay (Delaware side) has a slot season July through August where you can keep two striper 20-25"

I have launched in the Chesapeake twice. Both times out of North East MD. I'm not a fan of the boat traffic up there. Shallow water and fast boats makes for a rough ride at times.
soup1279 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 319
Default

Originally Posted by soup1279 View Post
If I am fishing the bay I usually launch on the Delaware side. IMHO Delaware has a far better public ramp system. Usually well maintained ramps and ample parking. I launch out of Bowers a lot because I like the little town. It's not a horrible drive being just south of Dover. I don't launch out of Lewes too often as the drive is tough on the weekends with the beach traffic. When the water is right and the crabbing is decent I'll launch out of Augustine DE, south of Port Penn and crab the streams with good results.

I think I pay $40 for my Delaware fishing license for the boat (covers anyone on the boat) and another $30 for ramp access to any DE owned Ramp for the year.

Occasionally I'll launch out of Fortescue NJ. The green heads there are nasty. I have to pay a toll and the outgoing tide makes it very difficult to get the boat on the trailer. Fishing the Ocean (NJ) I have been launching out and around Sea Isle because that is where I'm most familiar.

My plan for Saturday is to launch out of Bowers and fish the reefs in the area in hopes of getting some flounder. If that fails I'll try and find something bigger, maybe do some shark fishing. If you're interested in running your boat down there sometime let me know. I'm not too far from you (Pottstown).

Also the Delaware bay (Delaware side) has a slot season July through August where you can keep two striper 20-25"

I have launched in the Chesapeake twice. Both times out of North East MD. I'm not a fan of the boat traffic up there. Shallow water and fast boats makes for a rough ride at times.
Yeah, the traffic can make things rough, I agree. I have a similar MD license for the boat that covers all passengers. When I have a free weekend I'll ping you to see if you're available to meet down in DE somewhere. I'd definitely like to try out that area. For local freshwater I usually just head up to Blue Marsh lake, it's about 30 minutes from me... not that I catch much there.
TrybalRage is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pottstown, PA
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
Yeah, the traffic can make things rough, I agree. I have a similar MD license for the boat that covers all passengers. When I have a free weekend I'll ping you to see if you're available to meet down in DE somewhere. I'd definitely like to try out that area. For local freshwater I usually just head up to Blue Marsh lake, it's about 30 minutes from me... not that I catch much there.
I hit Blue Marsh from time to time as well. The downside is that the water is nasty and requires some scrubbing of the boat afterwards. I have a bow mount trolling motor that will last most of the day so if I want to catch freshwater fish I head down to Marsh Creek Lake. I'm probably the largest boat on that lake when I'm there other than the parks pontoon boat they use for tours.
soup1279 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread