Notices

my MIBS report - trailerable express/WA's in a CC world

Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my MIBS report - trailerable express/WA's in a CC world

First let me say, this was my first MIBS and I travelled from Baltimore hoping to get an "as much as possible under one roof" chance to compare 30ish foot express or walk around style boats. It is abundantly clear, perhaps because it's Florida, that it's a CC world in this size range. I was disappointed by a number of manufacturers that brought nothing but CC's, but I guess that's the market demand. Here are my thoughts:

Pursuit 310 Offshore.
Wish they had the 28 footer present, but it would have had the same problem. I want to like you so badly, but I just can't forgive you for that moded in bench along the transom. I'm going offshore to chase tuna, and that bench is in the way. If I want to lounge around I'll do it under the top, in the cabin, on a sunpad on the bow, or on a fold out bench. It's all a little blurry, but I think I was unimpressed with fishbox size as well. I wish you would bring back the Drummond series, but I really want a mid berth for storage/kids too.

Robalo 305.
IMHO Best in class (at the show) storage, access, fishbox, and cabin. Beam slightly more than I'd prefer. I like how they keep the transom narrow on an outboard powered boat (already enough trouble fighting a fish back there). Tons of smart little features (e.g., 3 position backrest for easy rear facing lounge, forward seat, or rear facing seat). Dealer claims of 2mpg left me feeling slimy after quick google. If I were forced to write a check at the show, it would have been for this boat. Livewells were small but I don't need them. Would like a ride to see how "variable deadrise" with 21 at the stern performs.

Grady 305/Woldcat 29 (pretty sure it was 29).
One transom fishbox not enough. I want floor boxes!

Didn't have time to get to Intrepid... based on pics I wish I did though not sure they had anything in my size range.

I hope to check out HS 2900/3000 VX soon, as they seem to be the main competition. Is "HS Custom" still making these?

Feel free to direct me to my dream boat that I don't know exists:

- 10 foot or less beam
- twin outboards
- 2 adult v berth preferably with 2 fold up bunks and mid berth big enough for 2 kids.
- small galley, flush head, stand up shower
- generator and AC option
- spacious fishing cockpit... big insulated fish boxes, folding bench seat
- preferably under 12,000 pounds ready to fish
- reasonable bow access (walk around not 3 inches wide). People will be fishing from here when not trolling.
- sharp deadrise (or otherwise achieved ability to slice snotty seas).
- close to or exceeds 2mpg cruise
- center console (not needed, but preferred)

Which is to say, I wish fountain made a slightly smaller SFC. Or I wish the pursuit Drummond had steps and a mid berth. Or I wish the pursuit edged just a little more towards fishing than cruising.

That's my report.

PS - if I was going to go CC in the same range, I'd be hard pressed not to do Contender ST in the 30-33 size. I crawled through them all, but kept coming back to these.

Last edited by JoshKaptur; 02-21-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 394 Posts

How about the Wellcraft 29 coastal? Seems like its darn close to what you are looking for.

The Albemarle 288 is also nice but no mid cabin birth. Still thinking.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Received 53 Likes on 10 Posts

Contender fisharound