Notices

Identifying WEMA sender

Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 156
Default Identifying WEMA sender

I’ve got a fuel tank level sender going out on the boat. Is it possible to identify the length of the sender without removing it from just the markings on the top of the unit?

If if you look closely it appears the numbers “105” are scratched into the top as well as the stamped numbers.
asher is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 156
Default

Having issues uploading photo for some reason. Here’s the link if anyone feels like going the extra mile.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4B5W3m97MfWc2b5D6
asher is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:13 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,594
Default

Name:  C4-F2-EB14-7-A15-4796-B6-D0-2-DDAB26900-FB.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  71.9 KB

Originally Posted by asher View Post
Is it possible to identify the length of the sender without removing it from just the markings on the top of the unit?

I doubt it - but you could call WEMA and ask - 954-463-1075

I am also skeptical that the sender is "going out" -
that's a sealed tube, with resistors and reed switches - extremely service long life

I would more suspect a bad electrical connection,
where, or after, the sender wires tie in your boat wiring.
Most likely, the ground.

(I have found the copper, inside the insulation, corroded away
so that there is no continuity from one end to the other -
but the outside of the wire "looks fine")
Fwpratt is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 156
Default

Originally Posted by Fwpratt View Post
Attachment 1097192



I doubt it - but you could call WEMA and ask - 954-463-1075

I am also skeptical that the sender is "going out" -
that's a sealed tube, with resistors and reed switches - extremely service long life

I would more suspect a bad electrical connection,
where, or after, the sender wires tie in your boat wiring.
Most likely, the ground.

(I have found the copper, inside the insulation, corroded away
so that there is no continuity from one end to the other -
but the outside of the wire "looks fine")
I appreciate the response and you posting the photo for me. I’ve already traced the wiring from the sender to where it goes into my stbd engine wiring harness (Cummins QSB’s) and as you mentioned, the insulation looks fine. I emailed WEMA last week and again today with the photo attached but haven’t received a response yet. I’m just trying to avoid removing and installing a sender twice.
asher is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:43 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,594
Default

Originally Posted by asher View Post
I’m just trying to avoid removing and installing a sender twice.

I hear you - them's sketchy looking screws.

I would go to some lengths trying to troubleshoot the wiring -
even running new temporary leads -
before I messed with that sender install.
Fwpratt is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 12:16 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 14,078
Default

I wonder if those markings might mean it is a 20" stalk for a 21" deep tank?
Or for a 21" deep plastic tank /20" metal tank?

Contact Us at WEMA USA, Inc.

You can check the resistance with a multimeter:
IS0085d.pdf
TTaxi is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 3,404
Default

I suggest measuring the resistance of the sending unit to see if it is actually working or not. The resistance should be as follows:

Empty = 240 Ohms 1/2 = 103 Ohms Full = 33 Ohms


Jim
jfwireless is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Default

I just replace my holding tank, and my WEMA sender was stamped SHS-8. It was an 8 inch sender, in a ten inch deep tank.
Boatingnut1 is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 09:30 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 156
Default

Thanks for the info guys. I’ve tried contacting WEMA through email. Twice. Through different email accounts on their “contact us” site. No response in over a week.

Its a 1980 Bertram. Original fiberglass diesel tank, could be the original sender that finally gave out. I plan on heading to the boat in a day or two to wire in some temporary wires to see if it resolves the issue and will check the resistance while Ive got the wires disconnected. If no headway is made I will just bite the bullet and try to get the old sender out so I can measure the depth of the tank and order a whole new unit.
asher is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 14,078
Default

Originally Posted by asher View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I’ve tried contacting WEMA through email. Twice. Through different email accounts on their “contact us” site. No response in over a week.

Its a 1980 Bertram. Original fiberglass diesel tank, could be the original sender that finally gave out. I plan on heading to the boat in a day or two to wire in some temporary wires to see if it resolves the issue and will check the resistance while Ive got the wires disconnected. If no headway is made I will just bite the bullet and try to get the old sender out so I can measure the depth of the tank and order a whole new unit.
It seems pathetically few marine businesses reply to emails in timely fashion if at all. I usually find calling much more effective. The phone # is in the link above. Hopefully you can actually talk to a knowledgeable human, not just have to leave a voicemail.
TTaxi is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 369
Default

Originally Posted by asher View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I’ve tried contacting WEMA through email. Twice. Through different email accounts on their “contact us” site. No response in over a week.
Call them on the phone. Engineering staff seems to have a clue, but customer service is sometimes just a bunch of kids playing grown-up business...

In the meantime, the tank manufacturer may be able to tell you original specs. And/or you might find the sender is about 4" shorter than measured tank depth (at the sender location, if its a irregularly-shaped tank).


Originally Posted by Boatingnut1 View Post
I just replace my holding tank, and my WEMA sender was stamped SHS-8. It was an 8 inch sender, in a ten inch deep tank.
The holding tank sender is different, so may well have different markings.

-Chris
ranger42c is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,857
Default

Name:  nywpv.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  92.5 KB
alloyboy is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 08:30 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 33
Default

Great Lakes Skipper in Wi. they have these units on the shelf. and have good customer service also...I replaced the float type senders in a 1986 300 Weekender with the type you are looking for..
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ca...el+sender&cat=
itselliott is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 11:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 156
Default

Got to the boat today to do some troubleshooting. Cut the harness and measured resistance. Was reading 240 ohms with tank 3/4 full. Cut the wires back as close to the sender as possible and retested. Same result. Then went on to remove the sender and test the resistance. As I was moving the float up and down in between reed switches it would revert to 240 ohms regardless of level. This was causing my fuel gauge to bounce all over the place from zero to 3/4 full.

WEMA did finally return one of my emails and indicated that it was a 21” sender. Since I had it out today, I double verified and of course it was 21”.

So in short, sender was bad, new sender ordered. Bought it via Amazon prime for the two day shipping. Thanks for the help guys.
asher is offline  
Old 03-24-2019, 11:52 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,594
Default

very interesting - on several points - thanks for the recap!

Surprising to hear of a WEMA sender crapping out - but you've proven it.

Did WEMA happen to explain the meaning of the other stamped number - "20" ?
Fwpratt is offline  
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 156
Default

No explanation given for the additional numbers or the scribed numbers.
asher is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread