Notices
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris@BOEmarine
  • 1 Post By mahimahi99
  • 2 Post By abbor
  • 1 Post By hooknbullettoo
  • 1 Post By Jonboater

sidescan x-ducer for EVO3

Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 111
Default sidescan x-ducer for EVO3

Simrad EVO3 with an Airmar B175HW as the chirp transducer, any recommendations for sidescan transducer? I'm leaning towards the LSS-2, but have seen some people on other threads recommend the StructureScan 3D version for better results, even on 2D. More elements or something. Hell I don't know, I take care of sick animals for a living.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Rick
Dawgvet98 is offline  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,144
Default

Doc, For where you are using the boat I think that the Totalscan unit will be a great transducer for you, this wont require any additional black boxes.
InternationalMarineBrian is offline  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:30 AM
  #3  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,482
Default

The 3D image on the 3D structurescan is absolutely and easier image to look and and interpret, but as far as detail goes I think the down and side imaging visuals will display more detail than the 3D visual will. The 3D will have more power than and LSS-2 or Totalscan but most the the applicable areas for structurescan in our area would not require the 3D to be able to get a good visual.

Between the LSS-2 and Totalscan the structurescan will be pretty much the same but the Totalscan will have a traditional style sonar included in it as well. That 175HW will be a beast in the the bay here. I can't say enough about the performance I get out of mine. I think you will primarily use the HW for most everything you need rock fishing the bay but if you want some additional sonar frequencies the Totalscan would give them to you.

Either the LSS-2 or Totalscan will give you good Structurescan so its just a matter of if you want additional traditional frequencies as well.
Dawgvet98 likes this.
Chris@BOEmarine is offline  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:08 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,893
Default

I say go with the Totalscan, as the others have said since you have an Evo3 you can take advantage of the Totalscan's lower frequency for deeper water than what the 175HW will look at, I have gotten som spectacular results in all different water columns with the TS xducer.
I also run a 3D module/xdicer and I only got it for the stronger deeper 2D capabilities, so unless you just want to spend $1k vs $300, I say get the Totalscan it have more advantages over all.
mahimahi99 is offline  
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 34
Default

Subscribed
hooknbullettoo is offline  
Old 12-08-2017, 07:31 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 14,043
Default

Originally Posted by mahimahi99 View Post
I say go with the Totalscan, as the others have said since you have an Evo3 you can take advantage of the Totalscan's lower frequency for deeper water than what the 175HW will look at, I have gotten som spectacular results in all different water columns with the TS xducer.
I also run a 3D module/xdicer and I only got it for the stronger deeper 2D capabilities, so unless you just want to spend $1k vs $300, I say get the Totalscan it have more advantages over all.

When did TotalScan start to produce better results than B175H-W in deeper waters

It wasn't the case last time I checked (August this year)
Dawgvet98 and Chris@BOEmarine like this.
abbor is offline  
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by abbor View Post
When did TotalScan start to produce better results than B175H-W in deeper waters

It wasn't the case last time I checked (August this year)
I think the OP was asking, Which transducer would be best for sidescan applications?
Dawgvet98 likes this.
hooknbullettoo is offline  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 556
Default

Originally Posted by hooknbullettoo View Post
I think the OP was asking, Which transducer would be best for sidescan applications?
I think the point is the totalscan probably never has any advantage over the 175hw in traditional sonar. So if that is the case the OP might as well save some cash and use an LSS2 for SS unless he already has a totalscan laying around.
Jonboater is offline  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by Jonboater View Post
I think the point is the totalscan probably never has any advantage over the 175hw in traditional sonar. So if that is the case the OP might as well save some cash and use an LSS2 for SS unless he already has a totalscan laying around.

So which is better?

LSS2 or Totalscan
hooknbullettoo is offline  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:31 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 556
Default

Originally Posted by hooknbullettoo View Post
So which is better?

LSS2 or Totalscan
They essentially have identical structure scan capability. The only difference is the TS has the built in traditional sonar element.
Dawgvet98 likes this.
Jonboater is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread