The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Marine Electronics Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum-19/)
-   -   Help with picking Transducer SS75H or SS75M (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/895330-help-picking-transducer-ss75h-ss75m.html)

More Better 12-03-2017 08:05 PM

Help with picking Transducer SS75H or SS75M
 
Could I please get some expert advice on whether I want a medium or high frequency Chirp Transducer. I'll likely be running a Simrad Evo2 NSS12 and I fish very shallow, between 10' & 100'. Can't seem to get a clear answer wheather the H ducer that provides better bottom separation in shallow water would be compromised with a too narrow of a cone at these depths. I've been told to go with the M ducer, but find that confusing. If an H transducer isn't right for my application, what is is right for? Thanks in advance.

semperfifishing 12-03-2017 08:17 PM

For bottom detail I would use the H over the M..due to the narrow cone.


.

More Better 12-03-2017 09:10 PM

Thanks Gil.

Any one else have any other thoughts on what I am giving up or why I shouldn't go H?

semperfifishing 12-03-2017 09:43 PM


Originally Posted by More Better (Post 10894861)
Thanks Gil.

Any other thoughts on what I am giving up or why I shouldn't go H?

I posted you should use the H...

Jonboater 12-06-2017 07:13 AM


Originally Posted by More Better (Post 10894785)
Could I please get some expert advice on whether I want a medium or high frequency Chirp Transducer. I'll likely be running a Simrad Evo2 NSS12 and I fish very shallow, between 10' & 100'. Can't seem to get a clear answer wheather the H ducer that provides better bottom separation in shallow water would be compromised with a too narrow of a cone at these depths. I've been told to go with the M ducer, but find that confusing. If an H transducer isn't right for my application, what is is right for? Thanks in advance.

There is a very simple solution to this. Save up a little cash and install the evo2 along with a sonarhub. That way you can install both the 75H & M and view both in split screen :grin:

More Better 12-06-2017 09:10 AM

I think you mean save up a lot of cash!

RCF1 12-06-2017 08:45 PM

Why not go with the 175H-W.

I know itís a bit more $$$ but that way u will have a wider cone.

What do you think Gil?

semperfifishing 12-06-2017 08:47 PM


Originally Posted by RCF1 (Post 10904492)
Why not go with the 175H-W.

I know it’s a bit more $$$ but that way u will have a wider cone.

What do you think Gil?


OP wants bottom detail and separation...a narrow cone is better for that... would use the H over the HW


.

BCTony 12-06-2017 09:32 PM

There is difference between the beam angles for the 600w 75H and the 1kw 175H. The 75H has beam angles of 9-15 degrees while the 175H (and the high of 265LH) has 6-10 degrees. The 175HW has a constant 25 degrees beam angle and is excellent for identifying targets in the water column but not so good for bottom detail as a transducer with a narrower beam.

The narrower beam of the 1kw model will give the very best bottom detail, but, for the purpose stated by the OP and looking at depths 10' - 100' I would think that the slightly wider beam of the SS75H should prove ideal and it is also considerably cheaper. In my view this would be a better choice for the OP than the SS75M which has an even wider beam angle.

mhrmike 12-07-2017 02:19 AM

How would the ss75m compare to the ss75h at these depths. Also how would 3D structurescan work into the system comparably to these two transducers?

BCTony 12-07-2017 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by mhrmike (Post 10904604)
How would the ss75m compare to the ss75h at these depths. Also how would 3D structurescan work into the system comparably to these two transducers?

I was trying to offer some advice towards the OP's original question.

The SS75M has a beam angle of 16-24 degrees which is a wider cone than the SS75H which has beam angle of 9-15 degrees. The frequency range of the SS75M is 80-135kHz against 130-210kHz for the SS75H.

The higher frequency and narrower cone coverage of the SS75H will give better resolution, detail and separation than the SS75M but because of its lower frequency range the SS75M will have a greater depth range meaning it will be better down to greater depths than the SS75H.

The OP states that the fishing range os 10-100' at which depths and probably until about 250' depth the SS75H would be the better choice. That said either transducer should provide very satisfactory performance in the scenario described. The SS75H providing crisper detail but the SS75M covering a wider area.

As to how 3D Structure Scan would integrate I cannot comment as I do not have great experience with this product. I would think that it should integrate very well.

More Better 12-07-2017 01:14 PM

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I ordered an SS75H. Will report on results when I have them.

BCTony 12-07-2017 01:19 PM


Originally Posted by More Better (Post 10906362)
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I ordered an SS75H. Will report on results when I have them.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.