Notices
Marine Electronics Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By davepjr71

Furuno's New DRS6A-NXT Open array

Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,025
Default Furuno's New DRS6A-NXT Open array

DRS6A-NXT Radar
With Antenna Options Up To 6-Feet

September 25, 2017





Since its introduction, the multi award-winning DRS4DNXT Solid State Doppler Radar has been lauded in numerous industry publications and online articles, as well as quickly becoming a big hit among boaters seeking a dome Radar. We're very excited to announce the NXT family is now expanding to include open array options, ranging from 3.5' up to 6', with the all-new DRS6ANXT Solid State Doppler Radar!

The DRS6ANXT leverages the same pulse compression and Doppler frequency shift sensing technologies featured in the DRS4DNXT, as well as offering the same simplified connection with TZtouch and TZtouch2. Additionally, the DRS6ANXT offers direct connection to 12VDC power for cable runs up to 10 meters (standard supply), without the need for an external power supply. With the introduction of the new DRS6ANXT, your recreational and commercial customers now have Furuno Solid State Radar options, ranging from a 24" Radome (DRS4DNXT) to a 6-foot Open Array (DRS6ANXT), providing the perfect NXT generation solution for vessels of all shapes and sizes.

Here are some key features of the revolutionary NXT Solid State Doppler Radars:




Target Analyzer
Target Analyzer may be one of the most innovative and revolutionary features available in the NXT family, automatically changing the color of targets approaching your boat to clearly show potential hazards. Green echoes represent stationary targets, land, or approaching targets moving at a velocity of less than 3 knots. Echoes dynamically turn red when targets are approaching your vessel at a speed of 3 knots or faster. It works the same when you are following another vessel. If the target is getting closer at a speed of 3 knots or more, the echo will be depicted in red. Incredibly, Target Analyzer works independently of one's own ship speed!


Target Tracking
Interpreting and tracking threats is easier than ever with NXT Radars. Using Furuno's advanced Doppler technology, NXT Radars acquire and track targets in virtually every sweep. Almost instantly, you'll see the target's speed and course vector, and if the target is hazardous, it will also be displayed in red, making it easier to identify and predict its course. The NXT Radar's incredible ARPA signal processor tracks and displays up to 100 targets! The entire target theater can be viewed, monitored, and tracked simultaneously, at any range. For an even more detailed display, target trails and Furuno's unique True Trail feature can be utilized, allowing you to graphically see the direction in which a target is moving, independent of your own vessel's motion.


Bird Mode
Bird Mode is another standard feature found in NXT Radars. With a single selection on the MFD, the Radar automatically adjusts settings for echo enhancement to help locate birds. Of course, finding birds is an important step to zeroing-in on the bite.

RezBoost
The resolution of NXT Radars is already impressive, but we've taken it a step further by incorporating our exclusive RezBoost beam sharpening technology. With RezBoost set to maximum, NXT Radars offer enhanced target separation, in addition to its impressive long range target detection.

Last edited by semperfifishing; 09-25-2017 at 11:45 AM.
semperfifishing is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:00 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,840
Default

Any word on pricing?????
BadgerS is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:13 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,434
Default

Great news. This should make a lot of people happy while pi$$ing off the people who recently bought the older model not wanting to wait anymore.
davepjr71 is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:00 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,077
Default

Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
Great news. This should make a lot of people happy while pi$$ing off the people who recently bought the older model not wanting to wait anymore.
I've never understood this view. It suggests that manufacturers should either never release new models or announce them so far in advance that kills sales of current models.
andosan is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:02 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,077
Default

Hmmm this looks very interesting. I liked some of the capabilities of the 4 NXT but wanted something with longer range. The X class was on my short list so it will be interesting to compare the two.
andosan is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:05 PM
  #6  
Senior Member (used to be B-Faithful)Captains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 17,124
Default

Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
Great news. This should make a lot of people happy while pi$$ing off the people who recently bought the older model not wanting to wait anymore.
I doubt anyone who bought the new X-Class will be disappointed. There are still some advantages to X band radars over solid state.
iFishMD is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:09 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,077
Default

Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
I doubt anyone who bought the new X-Class will be disappointed. There are still some advantages to X band radars over solid state.
What would be the main differences between a 6 X class and this radar?
andosan is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:13 PM
  #8  
PSW
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,569
Default

Happy to see Furuno bringing new products to market. With that said I am not regretting in the least my 12kw X class recent installation. I think both will do well in the market.
PSW is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:24 PM
  #9  
Senior Member (used to be B-Faithful)Captains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 17,124
Default

Originally Posted by andosan View Post
What would be the main differences between a 6 X class and this radar?
Typically X-band radars will do better at longer ranges than equivalent solid state radars. While I am very interested in the new NXT open array, especially due to its low power consumption, my bet that if someone is looking for long range smaller target pick up (like looking for birds) that the power of the X-band will be a better choice. The NXT solid state will have navigation advantages, especially at closer ranges. The open array will give the NXT greater ranges and may make for a good combination for finding birds and navigation. I am excited to see screen shots in action.
iFishMD is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,726
Default

Let's hope that they have an updated model to replace the TZT displays in the works. That will put them back on top. It was painful for me to go with a Garmin 8617 based system in my new boat and give up the superior Furuno radar and sounder performance to which I was accustomed. The screen brightness and resolution and processing speed on the 8617 is just so much better than the TZT or TZT2 that it seemed a worthwhile trade-off. Garmin has gotten better over the years but never mastered radar like Furuno, especially when it comes to processing the signal for controlling sea and rain clutter and for auto tuning.
Nomans is offline  
Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 569
Default

Originally Posted by Nomans View Post
Let's hope that they have an updated model to replace the TZT displays in the works. That will put them back on top. It was painful for me to go with a Garmin 8617 based system in my new boat and give up the superior Furuno radar and sounder performance to which I was accustomed. The screen brightness and resolution and processing speed on the 8617 is just so much better than the TZT or TZT2 that it seemed a worthwhile trade-off. Garmin has gotten better over the years but never mastered radar like Furuno, especially when it comes to processing the signal for controlling sea and rain clutter and for auto tuning.
I feel your pain. To me, upgrading MFDs are less painful than upgrading the other equipment that the MFDs support. So I went the Furuno route.
cp10415 is offline  
Old 09-26-2017, 04:49 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,077
Default

Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
Typically X-band radars will do better at longer ranges than equivalent solid state radars. While I am very interested in the new NXT open array, especially due to its low power consumption, my bet that if someone is looking for long range smaller target pick up (like looking for birds) that the power of the X-band will be a better choice. The NXT solid state will have navigation advantages, especially at closer ranges. The open array will give the NXT greater ranges and may make for a good combination for finding birds and navigation. I am excited to see screen shots in action.
Thanks

I've asked my local dealer about it.

My requirements are more for long range bird spotting and navigation for extended coastal passages. At first glance it appears the X band might suit me better.
andosan is offline  
Old 09-26-2017, 05:08 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,434
Default

Guys, I was being a smarta$$. I know the X-class is fantastic. I know most people won't be disappointed but we all know there will be some.
iFishMD likes this.
davepjr71 is offline  
Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,840
Default

Originally Posted by andosan View Post
I've never understood this view. It suggests that manufacturers should either never release new models or announce them so far in advance that kills sales of current models.


I waited a year for this
BadgerS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread