Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Learning to use my Garmin! How?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning to use my Garmin! How?

I have a Garmin (500 series, 560 I think). I have seen a few videos on Youtube and of course I do have the manual. However, is there anyplace I can go to really learn how to use this thing? This is all new to me. The only thing I have figured out a little bit is following channels and watching my depth, and even then I sometimes find myself in areas that I probably shouldnt be in, like to shallow waters or like last week when I found myself about to cruise (or crash into a submerged breakwater) This thing has so many feattures, I would love to know how to use them.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:44 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Algonac michigan
Posts: 6,256
Received 1,227 Likes on 625 Posts
Default

Isn't a 560 a automotive designed unit? You need a chartplotter/depthfinder/ gps with the software for the area you boat in.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 412
Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

Does anyone remember learning to use the old loran C units. My father had a Sitex Loran on his boat and it took me about 2 months to learn to use the thing.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:58 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 6,042
Received 598 Likes on 328 Posts
Default

Maybe learn how to run a boat without the "aid" of electronics first. Once you learn how to not crash the boat then sit at the dock for a few hours and play with the electronics.

Oh and did you try the manual?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:09 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stickbo View Post
Maybe learn how to run a boat without the "aid" of electronics first. Once you learn how to not crash the boat then sit at the dock for a few hours and play with the electronics.

Oh and did you try the manual?
"and of course I do have the manual."

Also, I dont have a dock. I trailer. and Its not like sitting still at the launch by myself has been very much help. I also use some very small brackish tributaries that are only useable a few hours before and after the high tide. If I have the tools to assist, im going to use them.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:15 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 73
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by muskamoot View Post
Isn't a 560 a automotive designed unit? You need a chartplotter/depthfinder/ gps with the software for the area you boat in.
Its a 546s
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 149
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I agree with Muskamoot; Isn't the 560 an automotive portable GPS?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:19 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,471
Received 751 Likes on 395 Posts
Default

That unit has a simulation mode that you can practice with anywhere. Sit with it a couple of times going through all the menus and functions. See what they do. I have that unit or a similar one. It's not a very complicated system. You can't break it by pushing buttons.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:08 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Algonac michigan
Posts: 6,256
Received 1,227 Likes on 625 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by truebaca View Post
Its a 546s
Well,that's different,I have the same unit and love it.I assume you have the map chip for your area.I run mine in split screen.nav chart on the top and sonar on the bottom.Best way to learn is to just use it and run through the different views and choices in the menu.Pretty easy once you explore for a while.The chart should keep you in the channel,but won't give you really fine details as far as depth in canals and back areas unless they are highly traveled.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:37 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 5,970
Received 436 Likes on 272 Posts
Default

Find your local Power Squadron and take a boating class. Then sign up for the Piloting course. Once you understand how to read a chart, using a chartplotter is easy peasy.
Likes:
Old 09-06-2017, 06:23 PM
  #11  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by truebaca View Post
I have a Garmin (500 series, 560 I think). I have seen a few videos on Youtube and of course I do have the manual. However, is there anyplace I can go to really learn how to use this thing? This is all new to me. The only thing I have figured out a little bit is following channels and watching my depth, and even then I sometimes find myself in areas that I probably shouldnt be in, like to shallow waters or like last week when I found myself about to cruise (or crash into a submerged breakwater) This thing has so many feattures, I would love to know how to use them.
Most garmin fans rave about how easy and intuitive their unit is. You dont find that to be the case?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.