Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

VHF and antenna

Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 446
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Default VHF and antenna

I currently has two ICOM and 8" antenna on my boat. Do I really need two of them? I noticed that I can monitor two channels while I am offshore. So why most of the offshore boats have two VHF and antenna? I sometimes see boats with 3.

Can only one set of VHF and antenna do the work? What is the best one we can get on the market now? Is there any VHF antenna which can be upright and fold down by a remote control so we do't need to climb up to manually fold it down when going under a bridge?

Thank you.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SE FL then Erie Canal, NY, now NE FL
Posts: 1,896
Received 214 Likes on 153 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KVKV View Post
I currently has two ICOM and 8" antenna on my boat. Do I really need two of them? I noticed that I can monitor two channels while I am offshore. So why most of the offshore boats have two VHF and antenna?

Thank you.
Each steering station, IMO, should have its own VHF. Especially important in offshore boats. In my case, I had a mic go out and ever try to open a brige with no VHF? At least since the horn long-short blast days?

If you have only one station, and go offshore a lot, I'd rather have one fixed and one handheld. The HH will survive a lighning hit that would likely take out anything on the 12V system.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:28 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 6,045
Received 600 Likes on 330 Posts
Default

If you go offshore and already have 2 VHFs and separate antennas why in the world would you remove one? Redundancy for your most important piece of safety equipment seems pretty important to me. I have and will always have two VHFs and separate antennas AND a handheld in the ditchbag. Also it is nice to always scan on one and the other stays on 16.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 446
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Each steering station, IMO, should have its own VHF. Especially important in offshore boats. In my case, I had a mic go out and ever try to open a brige with no VHF? At least since the horn long-short blast days?

If you have only one station, and go offshore a lot, I'd rather have one fixed and one handheld. The HH will survive a lighning hit that would likely take out anything on the 12V system.
Thanks. I know a direct hit lightning would take out anything on the 12V system but how about the motors?

Also if the sat. phone and hand held VHF are turned off, if not in a shield bag will they be taken out too?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:24 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 446
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stickbo View Post
If you go offshore and already have 2 VHFs and separate antennas why in the world would you remove one? Redundancy for your most important piece of safety equipment seems pretty important to me. I have and will always have two VHFs and separate antennas AND a handheld in the ditchbag. Also it is nice to always scan on one and the other stays on 16.
I have a new build which is scheduled to be delivered in next July. I had 2 Icom VHF installed on my Contender 35T which I feel a bit redundant. I did keep one channel on 6x and the other on 16 however since both can monitor two channels why I need two of the VHF?

I am not thinking of removing one. The 35T has almost been sold (two potential buyers. One will wire a down payment on this weekend) so I won't do anything on it. I am thinking if it would be easy just install one set of VHF on the new build.

Besides, does anyone know what is the best VHF on boat? Regarding the antenna, is there something like remote controllable?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:20 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SE FL then Erie Canal, NY, now NE FL
Posts: 1,896
Received 214 Likes on 153 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KVKV View Post
Thanks. I know a direct hit lightning would take out anything on the 12V system but how about the motors?

Also if the sat. phone and hand held VHF are turned off, if not in a shield bag will they be taken out too?
All this is hit or miss. AND, if the motors went out too, then you REALLY need that alternate radio. Either a 25W safety tucked away for this emergency, or the HH. I've seen VHF antennas banana peeled by a strike, so don't assume even the antenna will survive.

Engines have a bit more immunity; although modern engines (compared to 2s) will have much more sensitive electronics within that is a lot more susceptible than a carb.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:59 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 446
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
All this is hit or miss. AND, if the motors went out too, then you REALLY need that alternate radio. Either a 25W safety tucked away for this emergency, or the HH. I've seen VHF antennas banana peeled by a strike, so don't assume even the antenna will survive.

Engines have a bit more immunity; although modern engines (compared to 2s) will have much more sensitive electronics within that is a lot more susceptible than a carb.
Thanks. Hope we will never be hit by a lightning.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.