Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Garmin Side Vu Transducer mounting...

Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Garmin Side Vu Transducer mounting...

I know this has been discussed a lot, but wanted some opinions on my specific situation. I just ordered a Garmin 74sv with the single transom mount transducer. Everything I've read is basically saying that, if mounted normally, I will have to trim my motor way up to get both sides to scan properly.

So, what's the reason I can't mount the ducer just off of center right in front of the outboard? I realize I will still have to trim up a little, but want to avoid having to go up too far. Garmin's installation instructions say that mounting in the center can cause cavitation in the prop, is this really likely?

My main draw for wanting the side scan is to pin point wrecks for diving. I have no need to see anything at speed and will be doing all my scanning at idle or just above idle. I will be keeping the current sounder that the boat came with (a new lowerence unit), it seems to show good depth readings even at high speeds so I'm not really concerned if the Garmin looses bottom while on plane.

The boat is a '97 Trophy 19' Center console

Thanks,
Austin
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2017, 05:58 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 191
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acarter92 View Post
I know this has been discussed a lot, but wanted some opinions on my specific situation. I just ordered a Garmin 74sv with the single transom mount transducer. Everything I've read is basically saying that, if mounted normally, I will have to trim my motor way up to get both sides to scan properly.

So, what's the reason I can't mount the ducer just off of center right in front of the outboard? I realize I will still have to trim up a little, but want to avoid having to go up too far. Garmin's installation instructions say that mounting in the center can cause cavitation in the prop, is this really likely?

My main draw for wanting the side scan is to pin point wrecks for diving. I have no need to see anything at speed and will be doing all my scanning at idle or just above idle. I will be keeping the current sounder that the boat came with (a new lowerence unit), it seems to show good depth readings even at high speeds so I'm not really concerned if the Garmin looses bottom while on plane.

The boat is a '97 Trophy 19' Center console

Thanks,
Austin


Subscribe! I am getting ready to install the same trans on my sea cat and I have the same concerns.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:09 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 4,297
Received 309 Likes on 261 Posts
Default

If you read the installation manual it says if the transducer is in the path of the propeller it can cause cavitation and degrade the performance of the engine and even damage the propeller.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Trans...tall_EN-US.pdf

Jim
Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jfwireless View Post
If you read the installation manual it says if the transducer is in the path of the propeller it can cause cavitation and degrade the performance of the engine and even damage the propeller.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Trans...tall_EN-US.pdf

Jim
Yea, I saw that, but I was wondering how likely that is or if it's just garmin covering their butt? Also, if I kept it a little higher, maybe so the bottom of the transducer was even with the bottom of the hull would it still work at slow speeds? Like I said, I don't really need it to work at high speed because I have a second sonar that's staying on the boat and I would rather have it perform better at slow speeds.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:15 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,889
Likes: 0
Received 1,695 Likes on 928 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acarter92 View Post
Yea, I saw that, but I was wondering how likely that is or if it's just garmin covering their butt? Also, if I kept it a little higher, maybe so the bottom of the transducer was even with the bottom of the hull would it still work at slow speeds? Like I said, I don't really need it to work at high speed because I have a second sonar that's staying on the boat and I would rather have it perform better at slow speeds.
The warning about cavitation I think was originally for the larger and bulkier 22" style thru hull fairings that could cause a good deal of disturbed and aerated water flow going back when at speed...if mounted close and inline with the engines.

The much smaller transom types such as the GT51 are seldom an issue when mounted on the centerline....but the thru hull GT51 on centerline could be a possible concern.


.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.