Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Radar decision help?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:11 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Placida (SGC) Fl
Posts: 165
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radar decision help?

So, the thread with the remanufactured 6k, 4ft open arrays from Garmin (gmr 604xhd) has me seriously considering radar. 28' center console fishing SW FL gulf. Generally not a lot of large boat traffic, just other pleasure and fishing craft like mine. But, we do get storms throughout spring and summer. One overnighter under my belt 30 miles off and running from storms seemed next to impossible by basically guessing which direction to head. For these reasons, I'm considering adding radar. But, the real question is do I drop $2500 for a remanufactured open array a generation old, or do I buy a 18" or 24" current version xHD dome for $1500-2000? The use would be 90% weather watching, 5% nav aid, and 5% bird search if I had to guess... the price on the re manufactured units keeps steering me towards those, but not sure if it's the right answer. Any suggestions from current radar owners/users/gurus? TIA!

Brian
Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stapleton, AL
Posts: 3,460
Received 1,416 Likes on 759 Posts
Default

if weather watching is 90% of the reason for getting it you would be MUCH better off with Sirius XM weather. I just installed it on my boat and it is absolutely awesome. It proved itself last sunday. Had a major storm cell 25 miles off shore less than 1 mile from my spot. After eying the storm on the XM I made the run and sat there and fished 1 mile from it while it VERY slowly moved away... But if you're dead set on Radar I believe the GMR fantom 24" would be much better than the xHD version. No real world experience with the radars though...
Old 08-18-2017, 07:47 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jensen Beach. Fl
Posts: 1,281
Likes: 0
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mdees88 View Post
if weather watching is 90% of the reason for getting it you would be MUCH better off with Sirius XM weather. I just installed it on my boat and it is absolutely awesome. It proved itself last sunday. Had a major storm cell 25 miles off shore less than 1 mile from my spot. After eying the storm on the XM I made the run and sat there and fished 1 mile from it while it VERY slowly moved away... But if you're dead set on Radar I believe the GMR fantom 24" would be much better than the xHD version. No real world experience with the radars though...
Times 2. XM is very nice. Shows lightening strikes , size of storm everything needed

Navigation should be with your MFD mapping.

Birds. You have to have radar. For birds it pretty easy. The more kW the better.

Good luck.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:04 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UsA
Posts: 1,647
Received 406 Likes on 268 Posts
Default

I boat out of Placida and installed the GXM 53 (SiriusXM antenna) on our new boat. Have used it to avoid several nasty cells this past week. Well worth the cost, especially with the $100 rebate. If you need it for 90% weather, GXM 53 all the way.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Placida (SGC) Fl
Posts: 165
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM vs radar

Definitely considered the XM weather, but it's cost really slows me down... $800 for the part then either 328 or 604 per year brings me past an 18" dome in the first year.... that's why I was looking more towards the radar aspect of it versus just XM for weather alone. I would get more options of use with radar I guess..... I do see they have a $13/month plan which may give me enough weather coverage but still, $142/yr.....
Old 08-19-2017, 10:13 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UsA
Posts: 1,647
Received 406 Likes on 268 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fishy1 View Post
Definitely considered the XM weather, but it's cost really slows me down... $800 for the part then either 328 or 604 per year brings me past an 18" dome in the first year.... that's why I was looking more towards the radar aspect of it versus just XM for weather alone. I would get more options of use with radar I guess..... I do see they have a $13/month plan which may give me enough weather coverage but still, $142/yr.....
You can find the GXM here for $600 minus the rebate equals $500. Get the costal package from the xm. Nice part about this is you can shut the service off for 3,4,5 or more months when you are not using the boat. Then a call to xm and turn it back on.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:49 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stapleton, AL
Posts: 3,460
Received 1,416 Likes on 759 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
You can find the GXM here for $600 minus the rebate equals $500. Get the costal package from the xm. Nice part about this is you can shut the service off for 3,4,5 or more months when you are not using the boat. Then a call to xm and turn it back on.
What he said
Old 08-19-2017, 02:50 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Placida (SGC) Fl
Posts: 165
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Xm

Yeah, I use my boat 12 months out of year, so it would be an annual contract....

Anyway, any other thoughts from anyone on new dome vs re manufactured xhd open array?

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 441
Received 132 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

I have a radar and Sirius and the Sirius is 100 times better for weather.
Likes:
Old 08-19-2017, 04:06 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 1,942
Received 426 Likes on 267 Posts
Default

Radar is not the tool for weather. Xm weather will be far superior.

Regarding Garmin XHD open array, seems there have been many that have had problems. I have 24XHD and have been very pleased with if.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:02 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Falmouth, MA
Posts: 6,192
Received 693 Likes on 430 Posts
Default

I know it wasn't the answer you were looking for but the others are right. even with a 6' 25kw radar, it won't hold a candle to nexrad wether radar from xm (or cell service for free when you're in range).

radar has other uses, but when you say 90% weather, you're better off spending the $$ on a real weather tool.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:32 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UsA
Posts: 1,647
Received 406 Likes on 268 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fishy1 View Post
Yeah, I use my boat 12 months out of year, so it would be an annual contract....

Anyway, any other thoughts from anyone on new dome vs re manufactured xhd open array?

Thanks everyone!
I hear ya brother and I feel your pain. I tried to resist having to spend the coin on xm but if you want the best weather package out there, it's the GXM and SiriusXM. Good luck.
Likes:
Old 08-19-2017, 07:48 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fort Myers Beach, FL, USA
Posts: 3,737
Received 652 Likes on 406 Posts
Default

I have radar and have also used XM weather for over 11 years.

I wouldn't be without either one, but for different reasons.

Concur completely with all those above who have posted that if weather is your major concern (and here in GOM off west FL it certainly is), then get the equipment and subscription for Sirius/XM Weather.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:47 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,757
Received 644 Likes on 430 Posts
Default

The XM radar is something that provides great weather data, not just on the radar side of it. That's my suggestion for you and your primary usage.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:39 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Placida (SGC) Fl
Posts: 165
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Packages?

So, is the $13 weather package good enough for 0-30 miles out?
Old 08-21-2017, 02:21 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UsA
Posts: 1,647
Received 406 Likes on 268 Posts
Default

The Marine inland subscription and From Sirius web site:
The viewing is restricted to approximately 10nm seaward from shorelines.
Depends, you will have to call SiriusXM marine. When I called the Marine Coastal package was the "lowest" cost subscription offered. They said the Marine Inland was not available.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:30 PM
  #17  
Senior Member (used to be B-Faithful)Captains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 18,499
Received 2,316 Likes on 1,170 Posts
Default

If you get a marine radar for your boat, you can use for tracking storms AND navigation...
Likes:
Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,500
Received 528 Likes on 306 Posts
Default

My Furuno DRS12AX works great for weather. I've never had XM weather, I've been told after 100 miles, the footprint disappears anyways.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:36 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stapleton, AL
Posts: 3,460
Received 1,416 Likes on 759 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mstyle8517 View Post
I've never had XM weather, I've been told after 100 miles, the footprint disappears anyways.
Fake news.....

I can see live doplar in all of North america. I can also see the intensity of each and every storm cell, just like looking at radar on the weather channel (red, yellow, green, etc.) I can also click on any body of water and it will tell my current sea conditions that it gets from the nearest NOAA buoy. It shows lightning strikes. It shows where the storms have been up to 30 min prior so you can easily see which way they are moving. If a marine warning us issued that area of your screen turns red. You can click on the warning and see what they say (severe t-storms, small craft, water spout, etc.) It shows high pressure and low pressure fronts with forecasts.
It also shows me current sea surface temps which allows me to find weedlines by seeing where inland and gulf waters meet.

Now I've never used actual radar, but tell me how radar is better than that for tracking weather
Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,500
Received 528 Likes on 306 Posts
Default

Not sure what is fake news about anything I said. I believe it's spelled "doppler." That's all good and fine on land, I've been told it doesn't work past 100-125 miles offshore, I'm going 170 off on Friday, doesn't do me much good. Carry on Mr. Fake News...

Originally Posted by mdees88 View Post
Fake news.....

I can see live doplar in all of North america. I can also see the intensity of each and every storm cell, just like looking at radar on the weather channel (red, yellow, green, etc.) I can also click on any body of water and it will tell my current sea conditions that it gets from the nearest NOAA buoy. It shows lightning strikes. It shows where the storms have been up to 30 min prior so you can easily see which way they are moving. If a marine warning us issued that area of your screen turns red. You can click on the warning and see what they say (severe t-storms, small craft, water spout, etc.) It shows high pressure and low pressure fronts with forecasts.
It also shows me current sea surface temps which allows me to find weedlines by seeing where inland and gulf waters meet.

Now I've never used actual radar, but tell me how radar is better than that for tracking weather

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.