Notices
Marine Electronics Forum
View Poll Results: Best for Sportfish Garmin or Furuno
Garmin
32.22%
Furuno
67.78%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Furuno vs Garmin on Sportfish

Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Furuno vs Garmin on Sportfish

Looking to refit a sportfish due to lightning damage and Garmin and Furuno both have 25kw 96 mile radars so they are the only two in the running. Looking at Garmin 86XX series and Furuno tz2. Anyone run both and have opinion as to which would be best for sportfish application. I have run a ton of Garmin but not sure how it is vs Furuno on a large boat application.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:42 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 745
Likes: 0
Received 919 Likes on 457 Posts
Default

Furuno is probably better quality, but you will pay for it. Not sure what that 96 mile claim is all about. Unless you are buying into the whole flat earth thread, 15 miles or so is the best you're going to do (surface to surface), depending on the height of your antenna.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 AM
  #3  
PSW
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,585
Likes: 0
Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Savannah296 View Post
Looking to refit a sportfish due to lightning damage and Garmin and Furuno both have 25kw 96 mile radars so they are the only two in the running. Looking at Garmin 86XX series and Furuno tz2. Anyone run both and have opinion as to which would be best for sportfish application. I have run a ton of Garmin but not sure how it is vs Furuno on a large boat application.
If you are looking to go with the best you can I would look at TZT vs TZ2. TZT in my opinion is a little bit more commercial grade and capable but both great units.
Likes:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:05 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

If RADAR performance is of high importance, I'd go with the Furuno option. I also agree with PSW's recommendation of the TZT over the TZT2 if you go the Furuno route.
Likes:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:42 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,243
Received 499 Likes on 315 Posts
Default

Put Garmin plotter and sounder and furuno radar on mine
Old 07-27-2017, 05:19 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bobeast View Post
Furuno is probably better quality, but you will pay for it. Not sure what that 96 mile claim is all about. Unless you are buying into the whole flat earth thread, 15 miles or so is the best you're going to do (surface to surface), depending on the height of your antenna.
I am not looking to get 96 miles out of the radar. I am looking at what would pickup birds the best and 6' x 25kw is the best. I would also put a 3kw transducer in the system. Both Garmin and Furuno have that capability. Just trying to get a sense of who is happiest with the two. I agree Furuno cost more for display and black box but the accessories like radar and sounder are similar in price so not a super big cost difference.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:24 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 54bullwinkle View Post
Put Garmin plotter and sounder and furuno radar on mine
Looking at that as well. I am also looking at using Raymarine AP. I have been told that Raymarine AP is one of the best and that should be considered. I did not really want to chop up things into different manufactures but may for the best results.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 2,239
Received 252 Likes on 138 Posts
Default

I have two 8215's, 6kw open array, reactor, GSD26, etc. While my 15 year old 276C Seems indestructible, this relatively new and very expensive system has not been particularly reliable...

If you are not a power user, Garmin ease of use is tough to beat. If you are a power user, there are limitations with data presentation that are annoying. Garmin open array radars have had abysmal reliability problems in the past-not sure about the current crop. Garmin's autopilot does not steer as well as the others (no auto adaptive behavior). This will be especially noticeable in a sporty.

I'm not sure how the new Furuno stuff is.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scooperfl View Post
I have two 8215's, 6kw open array, reactor, GSD26, etc. While my 15 year old 276C Seems indestructible, this relatively new and very expensive system has not been particularly reliable...

If you are not a power user, Garmin ease of use is tough to beat. If you are a power user, there are limitations with data presentation that are annoying. Garmin open array radars have had abysmal reliability problems in the past-not sure about the current crop. Garmin's autopilot does not steer as well as the others (no auto adaptive behavior). This will be especially noticeable in a sporty.

I'm not sure how the new Furuno stuff is.
I have a 30' center console with Garmin outfitted as noted below. I am not super happy with some of the interactions and the Auto Pilot is less than to be desired for compass reliability and gain adjustments. That is a major reason for looking at Furuno I have a ton of Garmin but want to do my homework to ensure I am doing the best as this will not be something I change for a long time.

My Center Console has:
GPSMAP 7616
GPSMAP 7616XSV
GHP Reactor A/P Corpack w/Smartpump
VHF 300 AIS Modular W/Hailer
GPS 19x NMEA 2000 3 2 Channel
GNT 10 NEMA Transceiver
GXM 52 Sirus/XM receiver
NEMA 2000 Backbone
Port Expander GMS 10 Network
Radar: GMR 1224 xHD2 12kW Pedestal w/4FT Array
Twin - 8’ VHF ANT
Sounder:
GSD 26 Sounder Module 3KW Chirp
GARMIN GA-0101193722 Xdcr CHIRP-H 1KW Br LP 20 tilt 8 Pin
GA-0101193822 Xdcr, CHIRP-L 1KW, Bronze Low Profile 20° tilt, 8 Pin
GT30-TM Xdcr, Side Vu/DownVu, 12 pin
Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 2,239
Received 252 Likes on 138 Posts
Default

I also had some problems with compass accuracy which was a real problem with narrow channels at night and the overlay function. I did finally get the compass to be within a few degrees by moving and recalibrating it a few times-it is hard to find a place on a CC that works well. I agree, getting the gain set to work with the "Power Save" thing correctly over a range of sea conditions is a PIA and it is possibly the most retarded "feature" in marine electronics.


The latest is that I am occasionally getting spurious "Lost GPS Service" alarms. The alarm clears itself almost immediately, so I have not done anything more than check the NMEA cables. If it does not hard fail in the meantime, I'll figure it out after the fishing season.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,269
Likes: 0
Received 420 Likes on 182 Posts
Default

I have 2 TZT2's w 6' 96mi radar + 3kw DFF3 R599 ducer. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Furuno 1150 sounder, the Furuno FR-8125 radar and probably a Garmin plotter.
I'm not really a fan of navigating sub menus on an MFD, the knobs on a dedicated unit are nice. The MFD's, however look cleaner...
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2017, 08:11 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 684
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Had Garmin on my 36 and all furuno on my sporty.

Furuno hands down. Id go with the tzt instead of tzt2 if going with chirp or 3kw ducer.

The radar on furuno is incredibly more detailed and reliable than the Garmin. Garmin feels like a toy next to the furuno. I had a major failure on the Garmin in the first three months. Had to be replaced. The Garmin would be off by 10 degrees but only going north. Going south it was spot on. Nobody could figure it out.

Garmin is simpler for sure. Furuno has many many options and is very customizable. You need to read the manual for sure.

Pm me if you Want to ask any questions
Likes:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:08 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by houtxfisher View Post
I have 2 TZT2's w 6' 96mi radar + 3kw DFF3 R599 ducer. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Furuno 1150 sounder, the Furuno FR-8125 radar and probably a Garmin plotter.
I'm not really a fan of navigating sub menus on an MFD, the knobs on a dedicated unit are nice. The MFD's, however look cleaner...
Thanks I am leaning this way! Thanks for the input and great helm!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:10 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pablor View Post
Had Garmin on my 36 and all furuno on my sporty.

Furuno hands down. Id go with the tzt instead of tzt2 if going with chirp or 3kw ducer.

The radar on furuno is incredibly more detailed and reliable than the Garmin. Garmin feels like a toy next to the furuno. I had a major failure on the Garmin in the first three months. Had to be replaced. The Garmin would be off by 10 degrees but only going north. Going south it was spot on. Nobody could figure it out.

Garmin is simpler for sure. Furuno has many many options and is very customizable. You need to read the manual for sure.

Pm me if you Wang your ask any questions
Fantastic feedback thank you very much!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 569
Likes: 0
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by houtxfisher View Post
I have 2 TZT2's w 6' 96mi radar + 3kw DFF3 R599 ducer. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Furuno 1150 sounder, the Furuno FR-8125 radar and probably a Garmin plotter.
I'm not really a fan of navigating sub menus on an MFD, the knobs on a dedicated unit are nice. The MFD's, however look cleaner...
Why not the x class radar? What don't you like about the TZT2 plotter? I am close to pulling the trigger on a all Furuno setup.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 569
Likes: 0
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by houtxfisher View Post
I have 2 TZT2's w 6' 96mi radar + 3kw DFF3 R599 ducer. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Furuno 1150 sounder, the Furuno FR-8125 radar and probably a Garmin plotter.
I'm not really a fan of navigating sub menus on an MFD, the knobs on a dedicated unit are nice. The MFD's, however look cleaner...
After looking at your preferred alternatives, I see your point. You go from a networked system to dedicated function system. It definitely has its merits.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 2,239
Received 252 Likes on 138 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cp10415 View Post
After looking at your preferred alternatives, I see your point. You go from a networked system to dedicated function system. It definitely has its merits.
It also has it's drawbacks, like you pause sonar, scroll back and set a precise waypoint on a structure you see on the sonar. Also, if one MFD goes down, you still have a fully functioning spare.

I do like the idea of having one large, and 2 smaller displays. It is not much more than having 2 big ones,
Old 07-28-2017, 07:22 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Snuggedy Swamp & North Eleuthera
Posts: 4,135
Likes: 0
Received 346 Likes on 199 Posts
Default

Great thread. I'm also in the market for a new suite of electronics for a 31' Bertram Flybridge. I've been leaning towards Garmin but I'm not particularly happy with the GSD 24 that I have on my CC.

How does the Furuno Chirp compare to the GSD 26?
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
Great thread. I'm also in the market for a new suite of electronics for a 31' Bertram Flybridge. I've been leaning towards Garmin but I'm not particularly happy with the GSD 24 that I have on my CC.

How does the Furuno Chirp compare to the GSD 26?
I have a GSD 26 on my CC and it works great have 1kw high and 1kw low and it give me a great bottom picture all the time even in 1300'. I know Furuno has been known for their bottom machines so I would be interested to see how the Furuno Chirp 3kw would perform that is what I am looking at over the GSD on the Sporty.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:22 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,269
Likes: 0
Received 420 Likes on 182 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scooperfl View Post
It also has it's drawbacks, like you pause sonar, scroll back and set a precise waypoint on a structure you see on the sonar. Also, if one MFD goes down, you still have a fully functioning spare.

I do like the idea of having one large, and 2 smaller displays. It is not much more than having 2 big ones,
Good point. I really like that feature where you can set a waypoint by touching on the sounder - I understand the 1150 can be networked to the TZT, whereas the fcv295 cannot. I am not sure, however if this is just an external display of the 1150 on the TZT or if it would provide the ability to touch and create a wpt. If it could, then I would still go the 1150 route, but might opt for the TZT instead of the Garmin plotter if that makes sense.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.