Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

New boat and electronics

Old 06-17-2016, 05:14 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 504
Likes: 0
Received 353 Likes on 59 Posts
Default New boat and electronics

I'm about to make a purchase of a brand new boat, and want to add some electronics to it.

I'm looking at the Garmin 741xs/GMR 18HD radar bundle. I seen that it can be paired with an iPad for a second display.

Has anyone done this? If so, what is needed? Anyone have pictures of the iPad mounted?

Is the chirp transducer really needed, or the standard one that it comes with good enough? I boat mostly in rivers and the Chesapeake Bay, but may go off shore with the new boat.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:46 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,528
Received 581 Likes on 389 Posts
Default

You do not need anything additionally to connect to the Ipad, just go to Garmin and download the software. If you are fishing at all I would say that you would want the CHIRP transducer, if not immediately then as a plan in the future
Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,560
Likes: 0
Received 1,476 Likes on 742 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Weber View Post
I'm about to make a purchase of a brand new boat, and want to add some electronics to it.

I'm looking at the Garmin 741xs/GMR 18HD radar bundle. I seen that it can be paired with an iPad for a second display.

Has anyone done this? If so, what is needed? Anyone have pictures of the iPad mounted?

Is the chirp transducer really needed, or the standard one that it comes with good enough? I boat mostly in rivers and the Chesapeake Bay, but may go off shore with the new boat.




A good transdcuer to look at is the GT23-TM...Traditional and down scan...both CHIRP.

Or for a non CHIRP...the P66.



Old 06-18-2016, 11:22 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 504
Likes: 0
Received 353 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

I would mostly likely want a thru hull transducer.

Looking at having them install something like this.

Airmar B265LH, BW, Combines low and high ranges: 0-20 deg deadrise.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:34 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,560
Likes: 0
Received 1,476 Likes on 742 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Weber View Post
I would mostly likely want a thru hull transducer.

Looking at having them install something like this.

Airmar B265LH, BW, Combines low and high ranges: 0-20 deg deadrise.
Look at the B75M or B175C-HW ....flush mounted.

The 741xs is a single band CHIRP...you cannot use the B265 LH as it is a dual band unit .
And keep in mind the B265C-LH normally uses a faring..and that is 22" long.
Not normally recommended on boats less than 30'..or if trailered.

If you instead use the Garmin 7607xsv..then you can use a dual band transducer such as the B265C-LH..or a pair of B175's



Last edited by semperfifishing; 06-18-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:15 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 504
Likes: 0
Received 353 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

I was only going off of what west marine has listed as transducer options for the garmin.

I didn't see that model listed there, but a Google search has a price of $1300. The one the dealer said it needed was under $500, but they didn't tell me the model of it only that it was a chirp brass through hull.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:40 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,528
Received 581 Likes on 389 Posts
Default

That's because the dealer is recommending the B150 thru hull . What we are discussing is the b175 and is a fill 1 kw vs the b150 at only 300 watts
Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 504
Likes: 0
Received 353 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by InternationalMarineBrian View Post
That's because the dealer is recommending the B150 thru hull . What we are discussing is the b175 and is a fill 1 kw vs the b150 at only 300 watts
The b150 says it's good up to 1500', I really fish in less than 50'.

Is only the depth that increases or the accuracy?

Is the 150 chirp better than a traditional transducer?
Old 06-18-2016, 01:31 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,560
Likes: 0
Received 1,476 Likes on 742 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Weber View Post
I was only going off of what west marine has listed as transducer options for the garmin.

I didn't see that model listed there, but a Google search has a price of $1300. The one the dealer said it needed was under $500, but they didn't tell me the model of it only that it was a chirp brass through hull.
If you can use a transom mount..the GT23-TM is less than$160...CHIRP traditional and CHIRP Down scan.



\
.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:18 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 504
Likes: 0
Received 353 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

I got the model of the transducer from the dealer,

0101240410

How does this one look and will it work well for what I would like to do?

ETA: Looks like this one is not a flush mount, and should not be used on a boat that is trailered, correct?

Last edited by Weber; 06-21-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:25 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,560
Likes: 0
Received 1,476 Likes on 742 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Weber View Post
I got the model of the transducer from the dealer,

0101240410

How does this one look and will it work well for what I would like to do?

ETA: Looks like this one is not a flush mount, and should not be used on a boat that is trailered, correct?
That is a thu hull with a 13" fairing..not the best to use on a trailered boat.





.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.