Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

RF filter for MFD?

Old 06-01-2016, 07:59 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RF filter for MFD?

I have a new Raymarine ES128. It is connected to the house battery. All of the boats accessories are run off the house. The house battery is isolated and being fed by the engines (2 Yamaha f200 outboards) via secondary charge leads. The starting batts are on a separate switch charged individually (batt 1 being charged by port engine, batt 3 being charged by starboard engine and batt 2-house charged by secondary charge lead). When the battery is not fully charged, I am getting some apparent RF noise causing the screen on my Raymarine to flicker. Once it has been running for a little while, it goes away. Is there a RF filter or ? I should put in to correct this?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

You do not mention what, if anything, is running at the time.
Need to determine source of any external RF.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:36 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by isitstuffed View Post
You do not mention what, if anything, is running at the time.
Need to determine source of any external RF.
It appears to be coming from the engines. Here is a charge lead coming from each engine into their own circuit breaker. If I trip both breakers, it stops. If I leave one on it pretty much stops. Both on it flickers. This is with all electronics on incl stereo vhf radar internal depth and a DSM300.....
Old 06-01-2016, 11:17 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

If I read it right ...you have 2 secondary charge wires, one from each engine, both connected via circuit breakers, to the one house battery.

So if that's the case your battery 2 (house) is seeing the 2 pulsating DC charging currents from each engine which are interacting when battery capacity is low and when one is isolated by turning off the CB the problem diminishes.

I suggest you keep one circuit breaker off so that one engine charges one battery OR add a 2 position single pole battery selector switch to enable a changeover function for redundancy.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:27 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by isitstuffed View Post
If I read it right ...you have 2 secondary charge wires, one from each engine, both connected via circuit breakers, to the one house battery.

So if that's the case your battery 2 (house) is seeing the 2 pulsating DC charging currents from each engine which are interacting when battery capacity is low and when one is isolated by turning off the CB the problem diminishes.

I suggest you keep one circuit breaker off so that one engine charges one battery OR add a 2 position single pole battery selector switch to enable a changeover function for redundancy.
Thanks for the response-That is correct. When I shut off one breaker off, it is much better but I do still see some interference though it is much improved. That's why I was wondering if this is common and if there is a inline RF filter etc- I could use to correct that.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rltrbill View Post
Thanks for the response-That is correct. When I shut off one breaker off, it is much better but I do still see some interference though it is much improved. That's why I was wondering if this is common and if there is a inline RF filter etc- I could use to correct that.
Yes you can buy suppression ferrite rings and gliders that the power lead is fed through and wrapped around once or twice to remove noise on the power supply, but the size depends on frequency of noise. Yours would be low frequency.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2016, 07:05 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by isitstuffed View Post
Yes you can buy suppression ferrite rings and gliders that the power lead is fed through and wrapped around once or twice to remove noise on the power supply, but the size depends on frequency of noise. Yours would be low frequency.
Can you steer me in the right direction as to where to find what I need? Do they just install inline of the charge lead wire? Thanks for your help
Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rltrbill View Post
Can you steer me in the right direction as to where to find what I need? Do they just install inline of the charge lead wire? Thanks for your help
.
You can pick up from local electronics store or search ebay US for 'Ferrite suppressors' like here: http://tinyurl.com/huc3ceb.
These are commonly fitted to Furuno and some Raymarine products.
Clip one on the power lead of the MFD at the unit end. Not the charge wire.
Can also put one on the fuse end if need be.
The sizes fit the diameter of cable.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.