Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Want to add a sub to my existing setup.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:51 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location:
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Want to add a sub to my existing setup.

As the title states, I need more bass on the boat. My current setup consists of 4 JL Audio MX6.5's powered by Fusion UD650. I have no amp and the radio is the only power source. I am thinking I need a single 10" sub with an amp, but open to suggestions. I figure I could add a 5 channel amp and a 10" JL sub. Obviously this would be the more expensive route. Can I have the radio power the 6.5's and add a mono block amp for a single sub? Looking to spend 600 for the sub and amp.

How best can I do this?

Last edited by sailfish2660; 04-30-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Prior title was misleading.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:51 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

From the post title I thought you were talking about stripers!
Old 04-30-2016, 06:08 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: merritt isl fl
Posts: 1,223
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

bass dont like loud sounds.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:14 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location:
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Ok. Title changed to reflect what I am wanting to do.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 642
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

I have 4 MX6.5's run parallel to two channels and one MX10"IB run bridged on a JL M400 amp. That should put you at about $600 and it will sound way better than your existing setup.

Originally Posted by sailfish2660 View Post
As the title states, I need more bass on the boat. My current setup consists of 4 JL Audio MX6.5's powered by Fusion UD650. I have no amp and the radio is the only power source. I am thinking I need a single 10" sub with an amp, but open to suggestions. I figure I could add a 5 channel amp and a 10" JL sub. Obviously this would be the more expensive route. Can I have the radio power the 6.5's and add a mono block amp for a single sub? Looking to spend 600 for the sub and amp.

How best can I do this?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location:
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks for the feedback

so are you running stereo to the sub? I thought I needed a dedicated sub out? With your setup, would the MX 6.5's get too much bass or is their some type of crossover that you are using? I like our idea, just trying yo understand how I would set that up.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:08 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: north carolina
Posts: 2,791
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TogReaper View Post
From the post title I thought you were talking about stripers!
strippers are the 2 legged kind.... stripers are the ones that swim......wonder why people have such trouble with that word ?
poor ole striped bass always getting the bad rap.......
Old 05-01-2016, 04:25 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 642
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Sub is run "bridged" to the M400 amp. The 4 6.5's run "parallel" to the amp. The amp has gain settings to adjust the 6.5's and the sub independently to set the 6.5's as highs and the sub as low.

Originally Posted by sailfish2660 View Post
so are you running stereo to the sub? I thought I needed a dedicated sub out? With your setup, would the MX 6.5's get too much bass or is their some type of crossover that you are using? I like our idea, just trying yo understand how I would set that up.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.