The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default Garmin 741XS

Hi all,

I just purchased a Garmin 741xs for my boat but have held off on ordering the transducer because I really have no idea what the best option is with so many choices out there. I am looking to get a thru hull to get the best imagery. I am not so concerned with speed and water temp options as I am with the best downscan and side scan features. I want to be able to get the best visual of what is under neath the boat.

Are structure scan and chirp even an option for this model? Questions that perhaps should have scome prior to the purchase but I figured that I wanted expansion to radar in the future as well as touch screen and the ease of use this model offered, the rest I could just work with the best add ons that were available for the model.

Fist option offered was the Garmin Airmar B117 200/50kHz bronze Transducer


The Boat is a 2001 SeaPro 18' CC


Thank you in advance for all of your insight

Whitewater
whitewatercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 19,257
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

CHIRP traditional and Down Vu is available in the GT23...a very good transducer..available as a transom and a thru hull.




Garmin GT23M-TM Plastic, Transom Mount Transducer, Mid-Band CHIRP (80-160 kHz, 600 W)/CHIRP DownVü (260/455 kHz, 500 W) (8-pin)
Beam Width (°) LF/HF (-3dB):
Traditional: 24/13 cone
DownVü:
[email protected]
[email protected]
Can be used with the echoMAP CHIRP, STRIKER, xs and xsv units.




Garmin GT23M-TH – Stainless Steel, Thru-Hull Mount Transducer, Mid-Band CHIRP (80-160 kHz, 600 W)/CHIRP DownVü (260/455 kHz, 500 W) (8-pin)
Beam Width (°) LF/HF (-3dB):
Traditional: 24/13..cone
DownVü:
[email protected]
[email protected]



.
semperfifishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 33
Default

I have a 741xs and haven't done much research on a thru-hull transducer, but I went only with a GT22HW-TM (downvu/chirp only) for the following reason:

You mentioned side scan. The 741xs requires the GCV10 black box for side scan. There's a thru-hull GT30-TH that works with it, but you still need a regular transducer to pair with it. MSRP was $399 for the GCV10 and the GT30-TH is $699. A sponsor here could give you better pricing on that combo.
If you're not needing side scan, the GT23 would work.

Once I discovered I needed the GCV10 so I could have side scan, there's no way I was adding this much money to the 741xs. I can add another unit such as the Striker 7sv, 74sv or even a 94sv. That would give me a huge bonus of another screen that can be a fish/structure finder or backup chart plotter. I'm also sticking to transom mount transducers since they're cheaper and structure scan works best at slow speed anyway.
I'm a bit curious why you'd need a thru-hull on a 18' boat for best results.

-Mark
xhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhusker View Post
I'm a bit curious why you'd need a thru-hull on a 18' boat for best results.

-Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the feedback,

I am only reiterating what I have been told on that note. What I walked away from the conversation with was that with any forward movement, there would be "noise" on the display on a transom mount that I would not get on a thru hull. This most recently was conveyed by the "helpful?" staff at West Marine.

I am new to the whole thing so I only "know" ( used very loosly) what I hear at this point in time.
whitewatercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfifishing View Post
CHIRP traditional and Down Vu is available in the GT23...a very good transducer..available as a transom and a thru hull.




Garmin GT23M-TM Plastic, Transom Mount Transducer, Mid-Band CHIRP (80-160 kHz, 600 W)/CHIRP DownVü (260/455 kHz, 500 W) (8-pin)
Beam Width (°) LF/HF (-3dB):
Traditional: 24/13 cone
DownVü:
[email protected]
[email protected]
Can be used with the echoMAP CHIRP, STRIKER, xs and xsv units.





Garmin GT23M-TH – Stainless Steel, Thru-Hull Mount Transducer, Mid-Band CHIRP (80-160 kHz, 600 W)/CHIRP DownVü (260/455 kHz, 500 W) (8-pin)
Beam Width (°) LF/HF (-3dB):
Traditional: 24/13..cone
DownVü:
[email protected]
[email protected]



.
I would prefer not to drill a 2" hole into the hull so if this transom mount is a good option I would be all about taking that route.

If I have seen correctly, are you a dealer of these units?

Let me know and I will send you my email and maybe we can work something out.

Thank you
Whitewater
whitewatercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 19,257
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewatercc View Post
I would prefer not to drill a 2" hole into the hull so if this transom mount is a good option I would be all about taking that route.

If I have seen correctly, are you a dealer of these units?

Let me know and I will send you my email and maybe we can work something out.

Thank you
Whitewater
Yes, PM me or email.

Gil





.
semperfifishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewatercc View Post
I would prefer not to drill a 2" hole into the hull so if this transom mount is a good option I would be all about taking that route.
You might look at adding a stern saver or a transducer mounting board to your boat. Helps for finding the best transducer spot too without adding more screw holes.

I just picked a board up from Gander Mountain for $14.99. That should give me a good margin of error when I finally mount my new GT22 this weekend! Bass Pro sells them too in some locations.
xhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfifishing View Post
Yes, PM me or email.

Gil



.
Email sent Gil
whitewatercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhusker View Post
You might look at adding a stern saver or a transducer mounting board to your boat. Helps for finding the best transducer spot too without adding more screw holes.

I just picked a board up from Gander Mountain for $14.99. That should give me a good margin of error when I finally mount my new GT22 this weekend! Bass Pro sells them too in some locations.
Sounds like a great deal! Any chance you have a link to where you got it Mark?
whitewatercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 33
Default

Gander Mountain didn't have it on their website, but it was in stock in Mobile, AL.
Bass Pro has it in stock at select locations: http://www.basspro.com/Transducer-Mo.../product/9153/

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Manufacturing-920-Horizontal/dp/B0000BVFUT http://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Manufacturing-920-Horizontal/dp/B0000BVFUT

http://www.sternsaver.com/ Stern saver is a glue on. Haven't found it locally anywhere. Supposed to be awesome, but small for price.

The cheaper transducer mounting boards mount with 2 screws. They're bigger which is what I needed for 2 transducers. I was in a hurry, so I just grabbed the one from Gander the other day, but it's gray and not white like some others.
xhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Catawba Island, Ohio
Posts: 1,057
Default

[QUOTE=whitewatercc;8927421]I would prefer not to drill a 2" hole into the hull so if this transom mount is a good option I would be all about taking that route.

It's funny - been around sailboats for 30 + years and we've never had a problem drilling TWO holes through the bottom - one for speedo and the other for depth.
Catn TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 295
Default

The gt23 transducer is a mid range. I read mid ranges are best for less than 600 feet. Is this correct? I often fish in 1000 plus. Would this still work or would I need a low range? Thank you in advance and sorry if this hi jacks thread.
woftam1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 19,257
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Both the fact it is midrange and also 600 watts chirp..best less than 600' yes...but you can read bottom deeper.
The GT23 is basically a GT51 but without the side scan element.

A very good transducer.






.

Last edited by semperfifishing; 04-14-2016 at 07:27 PM.
semperfifishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 295
Default

Thank you.
woftam1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 33
Default

As a quick followup. I mounted a GT22HW-TM on the transducer board I referenced before. I'll find out this weekend if I need to adjust it any.
Keep in mind the GT23 is about 3" longer.

I'll be adding a GT52 to the left of this for a dedicated side-scan/fish finding on a second unit. I'll keep the 741xs as my chart plotter which will have chirp & downvu as well.

This is on my 2013 Tidewater 216cc.

-Mark
Attached Images
  
xhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Thank you Mark your install looks very clean and neat to me.

The boat has a couple of holes that are drilled in there now for an older unit that is really outdated, one for depth and one for speed this should cover those old scars nicely once I fill them in and seal and also make drilling new holes a thing of the past.

I am wondering if the block can be made to be mountable with an epoxy or if it has to have the two screws drilled in to hold properly.. I just ordered the big one off amazon for $16

Thank you again !
Chris
whitewatercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewatercc View Post
Email sent Gil
Gill I received the transducer just today, Thank you for the great deal and the quick shipping, I am looking forward to doing the install this weekend.

Great Transaction!
whitewatercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 19,257
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewatercc View Post
Gill I received the transducer just today, Thank you for the great deal and the quick shipping, I am looking forward to doing the install this weekend.

Great Transaction!
Let us know how it goes for you...






.
semperfifishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewatercc View Post
Thank you Mark your install looks very clean and neat to me.

The boat has a couple of holes that are drilled in there now for an older unit that is really outdated, one for depth and one for speed this should cover those old scars nicely once I fill them in and seal and also make drilling new holes a thing of the past.

I am wondering if the block can be made to be mountable with an epoxy or if it has to have the two screws drilled in to hold properly.. I just ordered the big one off amazon for $16

Thank you again !
Chris
I don't know what adhesive would hold it. I was extremely lucky and the right screw hole uses an existing one from the previous transducer. I just plugged the other two with Marine Tex epoxy. When I installed this board, I put clear silicone behind it and all around it. We'll see how it holds up over time.

I used some different 1 1/4" stainless screws than what came with it. The thread pattern wasn't the same as the old transducer screws, so I matched that, drilled only one new hole and called it good. I found another useful post that said to use an 11/64" bit for the #10 screws. Very handy info. Fiberglass doesn't give much. Reverse drill a large bit to countersink the gelcoat.

-Mark
xhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Catawba Island, Ohio
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhusker View Post
. Reverse drill a large bit to countersink the gelcoat.

-Mark
That's a great tip
Catn TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.