Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Garmin GHC10 autopilot issues

Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Garmin GHC10 autopilot issues

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my AP shutting down and believed it to be a faulty cord. I changed the cord and no longer have the unit shutting down like it use to but now what happens is the screen goes black and says ECU high voltage shutting down with a 30 second count down. It does it once a trip on the way out and never does it again once I power it back up. Also, "hydraulic pump stall" is occurring a couple times a trip wich I have never had happen before. Not sure if that's related.
I would like to know if anyone had experienced any similar issues and what the fix was.
Yes all the connections are good, esp the ground wires. The unit is about 2 years old.
Thanks
Nick

Last edited by NikM820; 11-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 AM
  #2  
Closed Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,771
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

PM sent for assistance!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Update

I spoke with Garmin. They said it's probably due to the ECU going bad and needs to be replaced. They gave me a few reasons of why it would go bad but they offer a replacement for $100 so one is on the way. It must be some what common because the guy sounded like he's replaced a few. Anyway, if I don't report back, the new ECU solved to the problem.
Nick
Old 12-05-2015, 02:56 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Just wanted to update the thread. New ECU and still having problems. 3 year old AP and I need a new pump, great Basically I keep getting a hydraulic pump stall error. Garmin reps have insinuated they will give me a break on a new pump even though it's out of warranty. I just sent them my proof of purchase to evaluate if they will help me out. If that actually happens, I'll be surprised, but if they do, I can hardly complain. We will see.

Nick
Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,742
Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

Could it possibly be the encoder motor on the back of the pump? That might be worth a try and mention to garmin as I'm sure that's a lot cheaper than a pump
Old 12-06-2015, 03:48 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

What is your steering type? outboard or rudder?
Does the pilot arrow keys operate the cylinder from lock to lock without hitting the stops?
Is your charging system working properly?
Old 12-06-2015, 05:36 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wamc0206 View Post
Could it possibly be the encoder motor on the back of the pump? That might be worth a try and mention to garmin as I'm sure that's a lot cheaper than a pump
I'll mention it and see what they say.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:38 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by isitstuffed View Post
What is your steering type? outboard or rudder?
Does the pilot arrow keys operate the cylinder from lock to lock without hitting the stops?
Is your charging system working properly?

Outboards. I can use the keys but the pump will stall once it needs to turn the engines. Yes the charging system is fine.

Nick
Old 12-06-2015, 01:06 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NikM820 View Post
Outboards. I can use the keys but the pump will stall once it needs to turn the engines. Yes the charging system is fine.

Nick
Can you remove the load from the cylinder by disconnecting it. Sounds like something is seizing up. If steering by helm pump is easy, or by hand if cylinder disconnected, I would guess the spool valve which determine flow rate a jamming.
You could also try running the pump direct from 12 volts to see if sounds laboured and straining but only for a few seconds. These steps should isolate the problem. I assume the new ECU is not able to do the dockside settings? It would monitor the motor current so an excessive one, as in this case, will lock it out. Running the pump manually may fix it by moving the foreign matter causing flow rate problem , if it does you will need to flush the system.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Garmin called me back and is giving me $200 off what their remanufactured pumps cost which is $800. So I'm going to pay the $600 for the new pump and hope it doesn't happen again. Went it's all said and done I'll update the thread.

Thanks
Nick
Old 12-08-2015, 06:20 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 2,422
Received 379 Likes on 208 Posts
Default

Are you using the idiotically named "power save" control? Unlike some of its competitors, The GHP 10 does not have any auto adaptive behavior so You MUST use this to limit rudder movement when you see the steering hunting back and forth excessively. If the power save can't stop the hunting, the gains in the installation setup will need to be adjusted. Otherwise you will have frequent pump/drive failures (ask me how I know).

FWIW, I have a Reactor on the new boat and it displays more or less the same behavior.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scooperfl View Post
Are you using the idiotically named "power save" control? Unlike some of its competitors, The GHP 10 does not have any auto adaptive behavior so You MUST use this to limit rudder movement when you see the steering hunting back and forth excessively. If the power save can't stop the hunting, the gains in the installation setup will need to be adjusted. Otherwise you will have frequent pump/drive failures (ask me how I know).

FWIW, I have a Reactor on the new boat and it displays more or less the same behavior.
There was no excessive rudder movement with my issue. It would just randomly, at first, stall. Overtime it just got more frequent to the point now, with the boat on the lift, if I engage the AP the pump stalls without even needing to move the rudder.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:54 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Had the new pump installed and it seems all the issues have resolved. Haven't fished it yet but ran down the river and no problems. Anyone installing this system, place the pump in a location for easy replacement.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:41 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: nanaimo, bc, canada
Posts: 2,425
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Not much issues with my GHP10 with 2.1L pump other than the pump.
Went thru 2 pumps and on my third. First one was new, the last 2 via Garmin re-man units--but paid a discounted rate for only one re-man unit the current one was replaced due to faulty re-man unit which lasted less than a season. A real PITA to swap pumps in my boat. The current pump I had to pull last season to clean the brushes as pump was acting up. Cleaning the brushes cured the issue of pump cutting out intermittently. IMO, theses Garmin pumps are not maintenance free--you should pull every or every other season depending on the hours you put on them and clean or replace the brushes to ensure proper function. Had I known this, I may have considered a different manufacturers pilot with a brushless pump or installed the pump in a more service friendly position. Was definitely not anticipating pulling the pump 4+ times in less than 5 years.
Did Garmin ever suggest inspecting and cleaning the brushes on the pump? My pump looked good but I gave the brushes a scrub anyways and that has for now cured the issue of intermittent pump cutting out.
Cleaning the brushes is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a re-man pump which IMO Garmin doesn't re-build and inspect carefully enough before re-selling to next victim.
IMO, love the shadow drive safety, but if Furuno had a virtual rudder feedback unit at the time, I would have paid more and gone with their AP. If the next few seasons see more AP issues, I'll consider pulling the system and replacing with Furuno or Simrad should Simrad figure out their own pump issues.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:52 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Coastal BC
Posts: 1,668
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bc22 View Post
If the next few seasons see more AP issues, I'll consider pulling the system and replacing with Furuno or Simrad should Simrad figure out their own pump issues.
Simrad APs don't need to use Simrad pumps. I'm using a Seastar pump with my Simrad AP. Too early to assess long-term durability on it, but it works great so far, and is just over half the cost of the Simrad pump.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:26 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Daytona bch
Posts: 682
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bc22 View Post
Not much issues with my GHP10 with 2.1L pump other than the pump.
Went thru 2 pumps and on my third. First one was new, the last 2 via Garmin re-man units--but paid a discounted rate for only one re-man unit the current one was replaced due to faulty re-man unit which lasted less than a season. A real PITA to swap pumps in my boat. The current pump I had to pull last season to clean the brushes as pump was acting up. Cleaning the brushes cured the issue of pump cutting out intermittently. IMO, theses Garmin pumps are not maintenance free--you should pull every or every other season depending on the hours you put on them and clean or replace the brushes to ensure proper function. Had I known this, I may have considered a different manufacturers pilot with a brushless pump or installed the pump in a more service friendly position. Was definitely not anticipating pulling the pump 4+ times in less than 5 years.
Did Garmin ever suggest inspecting and cleaning the brushes on the pump? My pump looked good but I gave the brushes a scrub anyways and that has for now cured the issue of intermittent pump cutting out.
Cleaning the brushes is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a re-man pump which IMO Garmin doesn't re-build and inspect carefully enough before re-selling to next victim.
IMO, love the shadow drive safety, but if Furuno had a virtual rudder feedback unit at the time, I would have paid more and gone with their AP. If the next few seasons see more AP issues, I'll consider pulling the system and replacing with Furuno or Simrad should Simrad figure out their own pump issues.
A lot of good information here, thanks for posting. I'll look into cleaning the brushes for sure. Swapping my pump is a huge pain. Not to mention missed a weather window to fish and now the wind won't ever stop blowing.
Nick
Old 01-01-2016, 06:51 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 2,130
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

My Garmin Autopilot is still being a PITA with the wandering like being on a slalom course. I've adjusted the Gains (rudder, low speed, high speed, counter etc) to no real improvement.

I don't understand what the gain is supposed to accomplish based on convo;s with Garmin and this post. What I'd like to find out is exactly wht thses gain adjustments do to affect the steering -- all I've gotten is "adjust the gain" -- sometimes i'm told increase the gain/other times lower the gain etc

Does anyone have a concise definition of what each gain setting really does?

Saw a comment that the Powersave setting needs turned ON to mitigate this issue. I'm going to try that tomorrow but what exactly does this setting really do?

The wandering seems to be more pronounced when I'm using my Vision card and the GO TO but even when in hold heading the damn thing weaves. I've run the damned User Setup functions so many times I can do them in my sleep -- I've bled the system to the point that i'm ready to just de-install the GD thing and put it on Craigs List.

Sorry about the rant but looking for one last shoot at real details if anyone has them. The "mystery" is not fun any more
Old 03-19-2020, 02:08 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I had the Hydraulic Pump Stall message as well as the Lost communication error and found that it was an issue with the Moog Motor. The magnets came loose from the motor housing and would only turn one direction. The unit I repaired was a Garmin GHC-10. I made a video of my repair. Has worked ever since. You can search the video on youtube. Search for Gift of Going Without channel.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:37 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 593
Received 129 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by searen3 View Post
I had the Hydraulic Pump Stall message as well as the Lost communication error and found that it was an issue with the Moog Motor. The magnets came loose from the motor housing and would only turn one direction. The unit I repaired was a Garmin GHC-10. I made a video of my repair. Has worked ever since. You can search the video on youtube. Search for Gift of Going Without channel.
four year old thread newbie
Old 03-21-2020, 06:42 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lovemydog View Post
four year old thread newbie
Again people search out the problems and this forum pops up. That's how you find it. Lovemydog is obviously an armchair boater.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.