Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

HDS-7M gen2 Sonarhub Bundle

Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 295
Likes: 0
Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts
Question HDS-7M gen2 Sonarhub Bundle

Just want to get your thoughts here for my uses. New 18cc in NJ fishing waters from 10-100 ft for stripers, fluke, tog. Lowrance has a great rebate on this package and if I add in the LSS2 and TM150 I get chirp and structure scan, mapping options, and NEMA 2000 out the door for a bit under $1,100 after the rebate. I'm a garmin fan but considering I'm already a bit over my budget and garmin is a few hundred more for the same capabilities am I making the right decision. I cannot really spend any more than that. Let me hear it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 PM
  #2  
Closed Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,771
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

A very good combination. We have many custoners that have done this setup with the 12m and are very happy
Old 02-27-2015, 02:07 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 627
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

It might be worth noting that HDS m with Sonarhub and TM150M/LSS-2 can do CHIRP+downscan OR 83 kHz and sidescan. It can not do CHIRP and sidescan at the same time.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:54 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 295
Likes: 0
Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
It might be worth noting that HDS m with Sonarhub and TM150M/LSS-2 can do CHIRP+downscan OR 83 kHz and sidescan. It can not do CHIRP and sidescan at the same time.
Can someone explain a bit further. Is it the sonarhub or the unit itself that limits those capabilities? I assumed it could since they are separate transducers.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:32 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 627
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

The limitation is not the ducers, it is the combination of HDS m and SonarHub. The m-models does not have the internal StructureScan-sounder that the regular units do, so it's all down to the SonarHub. The Sonarhub is limited like I described, I'm guessing in order to boost sales for HDS Gen 3, but I don't know.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:47 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,216
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
The limitation is not the ducers, it is the combination of HDS m and SonarHub. The m-models does not have the internal StructureScan-sounder that the regular units do, so it's all down to the SonarHub. The Sonarhub is limited like I described, I'm guessing in order to boost sales for HDS Gen 3, but I don't know.
Then how do you explain Evo2 being limited? I think there was a minor hardware revision to fix the limitation.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 295
Likes: 0
Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
The limitation is not the ducers, it is the combination of HDS m and SonarHub. The m-models does not have the internal StructureScan-sounder that the regular units do, so it's all down to the SonarHub. The Sonarhub is limited like I described, I'm guessing in order to boost sales for HDS Gen 3, but I don't know.
Boy am I now confused. Am I going to regret this given I can only use 83khz with side scan at my shallow depths.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have two Gen 2 7"s. One touch screen and one push button. When in rough water push button is more user friendly. I would never own a touch screen again. The new Gen 3 is both touch and button, I think Lowrance went that way because the touch screen in big water is hard to use.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 627
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stiletto View Post
Then how do you explain Evo2 being limited? I think there was a minor hardware revision to fix the limitation.
I don't. As I said I'm only guessing. You are probably right.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:00 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway
Posts: 627
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fishypete View Post
Boy am I now confused. Am I going to regret this given I can only use 83khz with side scan at my shallow depths.
I would. But you could always get a (used) LSS-module if you end up missing it.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:10 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 14,616
Likes: 0
Received 667 Likes on 531 Posts
Default

There are differences in the sonar hardware for the two model ranges.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fishypete View Post
Just want to get your thoughts here for my uses. New 18cc in NJ fishing waters from 10-100 ft for stripers, fluke, tog. Lowrance has a great rebate on this package and if I add in the LSS2 and TM150 I get chirp and structure scan, mapping options, and NEMA 2000 out the door for a bit under $1,100 after the rebate. I'm a garmin fan but considering I'm already a bit over my budget and garmin is a few hundred more for the same capabilities am I making the right decision. I cannot really spend any more than that. Let me hear it.

Do you have a link to this set up? or do you have to piece it?

Seems like a good way to save 500$ and still have CHIRP vs getting a gen 3.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.